How is the corona virus affecting you?

Will you still have to comply with the "distancing rule - 1.5 to 2.0m"?

You sit in an area by yourself or who you're with. Staff approach you and then get drinks. Not sure how payment works yet. 2 hour limit then move on. Wtf, you're allowed 100 to the pictures, but only 10 to a funeral. They seem to be making it up As they go. Newsflash just now, after backlash funerals sizes will alter. See what I mean. It's a shambles. I'm allowed 10 strangers in my home for the night if I want. Crazy.

Russ

I'm allowed 10 strangers in my home for the night if I want. Crazy.

I'm allowed visitors in my house but drinking alcohol with them is not permitted. Our pubs are not open yet - maybe at the month end.

I'm allowed visitors in my house but drinking alcohol with them is not permitted. Our pubs are not open yet - maybe at the month end.
Now the housing market is being restarted, so you are allowed to invite complete strangers into your house for viewings, but you still aren't allowed to invite your parents round. This is just madness.

Here you will be allowed from june to go to a restaurant , but have to maintain 1.5 metres of distance including with your relatives. 🙄

That while staying close to your family is permitted everywhere else. It's madness and takes the fun out of going out fora meal.

This is how Asia deals with the distancing rule for queueing.

I like how tolerant you Brits are of political "critiques." If I posted your exact words about our current administration, other Americans would chastise me, and call for "no politics on the forum."

Its a long standing tradition in the UK to mock all politicians. The press does, cartoons in the papers do it, shows on TV do it etc. Its a very different culture in that respect. People will even openly critique and mock members of the party they support. All politicians are fair game. If you ever saw the brilliant satirical puppet show 'Spitting Image' you will know what I mean.

I think that the covid19 situation has damped this down a little, if anything. Or at least, I think it did at the outset. Now the bans are being lifted the critique is much more open.

saw a woman with a T-shirt emblazoned with "Jesus is my Savior, and Trump is my President." Does that kind of "enthusiasm" happen much in the UK?
Basically.....no. The frantic flag waving and almost cult-like support of politicians by some Americans is something I think most Brits find very strange. At election times here people might put a poster up in their window of their preferred candidate, but T-shirts or hats with slogans are virtually unheard of.

I like how tolerant you Brits are of political "critiques." If I posted your exact words about our current administration, other Americans would chastise me, and call for "no politics on the forum."

I vote for my preferred candidates. I don't worship them. Many Americans are the same way, but the loudest and most volatile are the "true believers." I had to go to WalMart today to get a 10-pound box of Milk Bones for my dog (yes, 10-pounds of dog biscuits), and saw a woman with a T-shirt emblazoned with "Jesus is my Savior, and Trump is my President." Does that kind of "enthusiasm" happen much in the UK?

CD
Thankfully no. We're a pretty tolerant bunch, and have a history of scepticism towards politicians of all sides. There is also quite a cross over between the main parties - the Labour government of Blair in the nineties was in many ways more right wing than successive Conservative governments. We don't have the same level of polarisation that you seem to have in the US, apart from when it comes to Brexit! Also, I think we tend to respect integrity and competence in our politicians (a bit in short supply at the moment), but feel compelled to call them out when they fall short - we don't do blind allegience.

Its a long standing tradition in the UK to mock all politicians. The press does, cartoons in the papers do it, shows on TV do it etc. Its a very different culture in that respect. People will even openly critique and mock members of the party they support. All politicians are fair game. If you ever saw the brilliant satirical puppet show 'Spitting Image' you will know what I mean.

I think that the covid19 situation has damped this down a little, if anything. Or at least, I think it did at the outset. Now the bans are being lifted the critique is much more open.
In these strange times I find myself compelled to watch Piers Morgan every morning, and agreeing with virtually everything he says!

"Jesus is my Savior, and Trump is my President."
I can't stand extremism, regardless of party or philosophy. It just seems common sense to me that government only works when there's compromise, and that went out the window here about 20 years ago. 😐

Back
Top Bottom