How is the corona virus affecting you?

In these strange times I find myself compelled to watch Piers Morgan every morning, and agreeing with virtually everything he says!
I'm coming across this kind of strange phenomenon, also. I found myself agreeing with Nicola Sturgeon. Even more worryingly, I found it hard to disagree with something that Jeremy Hunt said. And this the man largely responsible for running the NHS into abject poverty.

And while we're on the subject, what precisely does "Stay alert" mean? Alert for what? For a nasty-looking virus wearing a false moustache and talking in a dodgy foreign accent?

Well, this morning's shop was a debacle. My normal routine is to use their scan, bag, and go app on my phone, so I can scan right while I'm shopping, then just pay on my phone when I'm done. Skip the regular checkout, skip the self-checkout, it's great.

The exception is if you have booze, or if you scan something that fails to register on the app. Then you have to go to self-checkout, scan one of the kiosks, your purchases will magically appear, and the warning will come up about the booze or the missing items, and the employee working the kiosk area will come clear it. Then you can just pay by scanning your phone at the kiosk. Still pretty slick, and it beats the hell out of loading your cart, then unloading your cart to scan, then reloading your card to leave.

Well, today, I had booze and a couple of missed items, and for whatever reason, their scan, bag, and go system wasn't talking to their kiosks, so when I tried to scan a kiosk to get my order over, it wouldn't work.

My only recourse was to cancel a large $175 order, unpack everything, and scan it manually. It was basically like shopping twice.

Well since I never come into contact with anyone, the major way that the virus is affecting me is that I do basic upkeep (brush teeth, shower and dress) and that is all. If I have to go do a grocery pickup I just pull a beanie over my head and don't worry about my hair. Pathetic, really.

My only recourse was to cancel a large $175 order, unpack everything, and scan it manually. It was basically like shopping twice.

Now you know why I shop on-line. I'm beginning to quite enjoy the substitutes they make with on-line deliveries. I'd never thought of buying ready made gnocchi (substituted for spaghetti) before. Must use it soon.

Re masks...this morning, I'd say mask usage was at about 75% for customers (for whom masks are not required). I did see several employees (for whom masks are required) wearing them improperly, and one not at all.

The one who gets my facepalm award, though, was the older woman who, when I turned the corner and entered her aisle, had her mask all the way down around her neck. When she saw me, she gave me a very startled look and quickly fumbled to pull her mask up, and hastily pushed past me with her cart and went to the next aisle.

Never one to leave well enough alone, I waited about 10 seconds, then quickly caught up behind her, and sure enough, as soon as she got in the next aisle and didn't see anyone, she pulled her mask off again. :laugh:

I couldn't resist giving her a little whistle as I nonchalantly shopped storage containers and ziploc bags. 😜

I wear the mask when I'm in a store, but the second I'm out, it comes off. I am pretty claustrophobic, found that out when I had to have an MRI, don't think i lasted 15 seconds before I absolutely freaked, and there wasn't any controlling the panic like I was able to when I got stuck underneath an overhang once when we were diving. The mask makes me feel like I can't breathe. It's a good thing i don't work somewhere where I would have to wear it for any length of time, don't think I'd handle it well.

I'm coming across this kind of strange phenomenon, also. I found myself agreeing with Nicola Sturgeon. Even more worryingly, I found it hard to disagree with something that Jeremy Hunt said. And this the man largely responsible for running the NHS into abject poverty.

And while we're on the subject, what precisely does "Stay alert" mean? Alert for what? For a nasty-looking virus wearing a false moustache and talking in a dodgy foreign accent?

I will say I'm growing a bit weary of all the coronavirus-themed commercials on TV.

I don't care what the product or business is, but they've all got at least one ad that starts with, "In this difficult time...," or "This is an unprecedented time," or "These are uncertain times..."

Car maker, department store, or scented candles, everyone's got a C-19 ad.

I will say I'm growing a bit weary of all the coronavirus-themed commercials on TV.

I don't care what the product or business is, but they've all got at least one ad that starts with, "In this difficult time...," or "This is an unprecedented time," or "These are uncertain times..."

Agreed, plus the "celebrities" telling us how they are "coping" with the quarantine from the confines of their 10,000 sq ft house with a swimming pool in the backyard and an in home theatre..NOPE!

Not seen here that I've noticed, just grandstand politicking.

Russ

I was to be going out today (for the first time since March 22) to pick up my Western goods from the supplier. But then I thought "What's the point?" It'll be a quick transfer and then my wife wishes to go to Makro for supplies so I'd rather sit in the truck than wander around Makro. So I'm staying home.

Agreed, there is the same here.

Back
Top Bottom