How is the corona virus affecting you?

My husband and I have been on self-imposed quarantine since March 27. We have not visited with friends or family members at all other than on Zoom, except for my sister who has also been quarantined since March. I really miss seeing the other family members, but the kids (all young adults) work around other people and we just don't want to take a chance, even though they wear masks and practice social distancing. The only public places I have been are parks (other than once picking up a prescription), and people were not very careful at the parks about social distancing and most were not wearing masks, so now I avoid the ones with narrow walking trails.

They are trying to open up Ohio, albeit slowly. I just can't see restaurants opening up for dine-in, but they are going to do that (limited seating capacity). It would make me far too nervous to do that, you have to take off your mask to eat, plus just thinking about recirculated air that might have pathogens floating around in it is fearsome. Retails stores are next, then salons and spas. I have a massage gift certificate and pedicure gift certificates given to me at Christmas that I will be too afraid to use. My hair is getting really long but I will be attempting to trim it myself.

I do curbside grocery pickup only, although I did have to go into a store that didn't have a drive thru to pickup my vitamin D3 prescription. I wore a mask and got in and out as quickly as possible. I did notice that only about half of the people in the store had masks on, which was disconcerting. When I was picking up my groceries last week I saw a father exiting the store with a mask on but his young daughter (maybe 10 years old) without a mask. That I don't get, especially now with all of the children getting sick with possible COVID-19 associated diseases. People here are strongly advised to wear masks but it isn't mandated. There are plenty of people who have some sort of misguided idea that it's a violation of their constitutional rights to be ordered to do so. Sigh.

It is hard to keep up with what day of the week it is without having a work schedule. Stress is exhausting so I feel like going back to bed most days. There are days I get up, drink coffee, eat, shower, and get into a fresh pair of pajamas. What's the point of getting dressed if you don't have to go anywhere and no one comes over?

I now know why they consider liquor stores an essential business. We are drinking a bit too much in the evenings but haven't started day drinking. I promise we won't do that!

I know four people who have had COVID-19 and all of them say it's not something anyone would want to go through. Three of those people were early 60s and two of them suffered horribly for several weeks and are still not quite well, though they no longer test positive. The other person was my nephew who is in his early 40s, military and in excellent physical condition. Even though he had no other health conditions, he was very sick and he too is not back to normal.

We are going to keep sheltering in place until they come up with a vaccine. Thank goodness we saved enough money to be able to do that.

There are days I get up, drink coffee, eat, shower, and get into a fresh pair of pajamas. What's the point of getting dressed if you don't have to go anywhere and no one comes over?

Eeek! Maybe I'm lucky I don't have or wear any pyjamas. So I get up and dress reasonably properly. I don't feel right unless I feel I look OK. Hair cutting for me not an issue as I haven't been to a hairdresser in 35 years anyway! I do my own nails so that isn't an issue either. I think I'm coping better than most who are self isolating really and having a garden helps. It probably helps having been retired for over 10 years as I'm used to a lack of work schedule.

We are drinking a bit too much in the evenings but haven't started day drinking. I promise we won't do that!

Too late for me on that one!

We are going to keep sheltering in place until they come up with a vaccine. Thank goodness we saved enough money to be able to do that.

I'd say the same, but I'm aware it could be a very long time before that happens and gets rolled out. I'm not planning on going anywhere until the transmission rate has been significantly lowered and even then where I go will be limited.

The main thing is to stay safe. It sounds as if you are doing the right thing JASOH1.

That's our feeling at the moment.

I just read an interesting article about how your chances of getting infected in a grocery store or park are slim to none, because your contact is incidental.

Where you're most likely to get infected, according to this doctor, is in an environment where you're hanging around for a while (one or more hours) next to or near an infected person; think restaurant or office environment. And what is our guv opening at an accelerated rate? Restaurants and offices.

I want to be clear, though, I'm not bashing Dewine at all (and I have a secret crush on Doc Acton, as does much of Ohio :laugh:; my guess is that's he's looking at economic indicators we're not seeing, and keeping one eye on those protests in Michigan, and saying, "Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead."

I tend to agree. I really liked how proactive DeWine was in the beginning, one of the first governors to shut down schools in the country and to implement shelter in place. And at first I was a bit dismayed when he decided to start opening things, but I agree and think he is trying to avoid that sort of protest shenanigans going on in other states and the backlash he would get for trying to enforce mandatory mask wearing. Look at that poor security guard in Michigan who got shot and killed for doing his job by not letting someone into the store who wasn't wearing a mask. That was truly sad, but that's the kind of thing that could easily happen anywhere by idiots who don't want to comply with something so simple. So by "strongly suggesting" mask wearing but not making it mandatory, he is probably saving some lives or other physical harm to people who would get angry and resort to violence. SMH sadly.

Did you ever notice that DeWine and his ASL interpreter look like they could be related? Is she his sister?

Did you ever notice that DeWine and his ASL interpreter look like they could be related? Is she his sister?
Absolutely! She's a celebrity in her own right.

I used to be a little annoyed by her, until I read a profile about her, and they pointed out that for hearing impaired folks, facial expression is just as important as the signs, to convey more subtle meaning, so now I love her.

But not as much as Amy Acton. 😍

I went for my first haircut since January, Feels great!

Staff were wearing masks. Social distancing was in place.

On the other hand, none of the customers besides me were wearing masks. That seems to be beginning to trend around here.

CD

Now you know why I shop on-line. I'm beginning to quite enjoy the substitutes they make with on-line deliveries. I'd never thought of buying ready made gnocchi (substituted for spaghetti) before. Must use it soon.
My kids like it panfried.

I use it for gnocchi di Gorgonzola because it’s super fast & im usually making it just for myself.

I went for my first haircut since January, Feels great!

Staff were wearing masks. Social distancing was in place.

On the other hand, none of the customers besides me were wearing masks. That seems to be beginning to trend around here.

CD
I read an article this morning that stated that if 80% of the population of the US wore masks, the spread of the virus would be reduced to one twelfth of its current level.

I read an article this morning that stated that if 80% of the population of the US wore masks, the spread of the virus would be reduced to one twelfth of its current level.

That seems rather an extreme prediction from what I understand and I'm not sure what the evidence base would be. The cloth masks are supposed help prevent anyone with covid spreading it around too much in the air when coughing or, I suppose, otherwise on their breath. But it only stops a percentage of this, unless its full PPE that they are wearing. Cloth masks don't protect the wearers in any significant way as far as I understand.

Not that I'm anti mask wearing. Its simply that I think there is false security going on. Many people seem to believe the mask is for protecting them personally.

Not that I'm anti mask wearing. Its simply that I think there is false security going on. Many people seem to believe the mask is for protecting them personally.

I can only reiterate that mask wearing is compulsory (by law) in Thailand outside one's own home.

A total of 55 Covid-19 reported deaths in a population of 70,000,000 this year.

A somewhat surreal experience yesterday afternoon as we watched Borussia Dortmund beating local rivals Schalke 4-0 in the German Bundesliga, which resumed this weekend.

Normally, this would be met with great glee by the vast majority of an 80,000 crowd, but of course there was nobody there to watch. It felt bizarre to hear the shouts of players and coaches. You could even hear the ball hitting the net when Dortmund scored their goals. Goal celebrations consisted of slightly embarrassed long-distance grins and, for the more adventurous, a few apologetic elbow bumps.

It's football, Jim, but not as we know it.

Many people seem to believe the mask is for protecting them personally.
I get so aggravated by this. The news, and the government, and the medical community have gone out of their way to reiterate over and over that you wear a mask to protect others, not to protect yourself, yet any article you read online, there will be, quite frankly (and I can't put too fine a point on it) moronic idiots who continually comment, "Masks don't help! They don't keep anything out! It's a scam!"

It's not to keep stuff out. It's not even necessarily to keep stuff in, just to slow it down. Most of the expelled droplets are heavier than air, and if you can slow them down, they fall to the floor/ground more quickly, where you're less likely to breathe them in.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom