How is the corona virus affecting you?

I watch sky news a lot, I watched when Brexit first came up and voting. I thought these people don't know the ramifications of this. Sure enough I was right.

Russ

It is funny how brexit was voted for by racists and yet since the outbreak everyone has been praising 'our brave NHS' and front line workers, many were not born in this country

Yep, that's the feeling I have when going grocery shopping. Because of the mask, and other people wearing masks, and all the signs up about social distancing and max occupancy, there's no way to mentally or even physically relax when shopping.

We don't have to do any of the process you described to get into a shop, but it's just donning a mask in the parking lot, and that, "Ok, I'm going in" feeling...as soon as that mask goes on, my whole body tenses up, and it doesn't untense, so to speak, until I'm back out in the car, and the entire time, I feel like I'm being prodded to shop faster and faster in order to get out of the shop.

I'm the same. I'm really starting to dislike going out for groceries, which usually is my main source of fun outings in the week. But this whole mask/ social distancing atmosphere makes it a stressful ordeal that I just want to get over with. I order in as much as possible, but sometimes I just want to support my local butcher and baker.

That wasn't my take on it, I just thought voters hadn't thought about the whole deal. Maybe I was wrong.?

Russ
There were quite a number of factors, but one thing the Brexiteers pushed very strongly was that withdrawing from the EU would provide an extra 350 million pounds to the NHS every week. Now, many of us dismissed this as the bobbins it undoubtedly was, but unfortunately there are lots of gullible people out there.

They also played heavily on the "taking back control" riff and spent lots of time (and money) abusing remainers as "the metropolitan elite." This was also utter piffle; for example, 62% of us in Scotland voted remain and we're a long way from London. Once again, though, a lot of people bought into this.

There was an interesting series on BBC recently in which the historian Lucy Worsley dismantled several myths from British history. One of them was the church schism brought about by Henry VIII. She noted a lot of parallels with Brexit and I think she had a very good point.

There was an interesting series on BBC recently in which the historian Lucy Worsley dismantled several myths from British history. One of them was the church schism brought about by Henry VIII. She noted a lot of parallels with Brexit and I think she had a very good point.
Oooh that sounds interesting....I wonder whether its available on iplayer...what was it called?

"BANGKOK — The government on Friday decided to extend the emergency decree for another month through June, although no new cases of coronavirus were reported on the same day. "

My friend Susie is an historian. Like Lucy Worsley, she is originally from Reading, though she has lived in the north-east of England for many years.

Susie used to work at Beamish museum in County Durham and was known for her penchant for dressing up in period costume when she got the chance. She also had bobbed hair (although dark). Remind you of anyone?

"Brazen hussy copied me," Susie observed, tongue firmly in cheek. In fact, she likes Lucy Worsley.

That wasn't my take on it, I just thought voters hadn't thought about the whole deal. Maybe I was wrong.?

Russ
No, they didn't. The spin doctors currently in charge of our government convinced the intellectually challenged that Brexit would deliver £350m per week for the NHS and prevent us getting swamped by immigrants from Turkey. Both complete lies.

Back
Top Bottom