How is the corona virus affecting you?

That's a pretty compelling argument for wearing masks.
They also acted quickly to shut things down before it took hold. Also a more outdoor/ open window lifestyle and generally high levels of Vitamin D in the population have been cited as contributory factors. I will defer to Yorky if local opinion is different.

We've also had a number of other regulations/rules/laws in place including prohibition (sale of alcohol prohibited) for one month (April); enforced curfews (2200 - 0400); closure of malls, bars, restaurants, entertainment venues, etc. We've also had ambient temperatures reaching over 40°C.

The reasons could be anything or everything.

They also acted quickly to shut things down before it took hold. Also a more outdoor/ open window lifestyle and generally high levels of Vitamin D in the population have been cited as contributory factors. I will defer to Yorky if local opinion is different.

Possibly contributory factors but the government did not act particularly quickly when it came to restricting entry to Chinese tourists.

I left my house for the first time in almost two months this morning. We went to purchase a new fridge/freezer.

I was in the store for almost one hour (I know because I was logged in and out) and had a mask on the entire time. I was becoming claustrophobic by the time we got out.

Anyway, the procedure was:

Queue at the door (the distancing footprints were only just over a metre apart).

As our turn came my wife used her phone to scan a barcode thingy and then log in via the internet to record her entry. As my handphone does not have free internet access I just entered my name and the time by hand in a register.

Then we had to have our temperatures taken and wash our hands with the alcohol solution provided and my wife had to enter her customer code number into the gismo that does that sort of thing.

When it came to the purchase, their debit card reader was not working so I had to withdraw cash from an in-store ATM machine (government advice is to use cash as little as possible). The distancing footprints were again only about 1.20 metres apart.

We then had to log out of the store, my wife electronically and me in the hand written register.

I was extremely pleased to finally return to the truck and remove my mask.

And I thought I hated shopping before!

I left my house for the first time in almost two months this morning. We went to purchase a new fridge/freezer.

I was in the store for almost one hour (I know because I was logged in and out) and had a mask on the entire time. I was becoming claustrophobic by the time we got out.

Anyway, the procedure was:

Queue at the door (the distancing footprints were only just over a metre apart).

As our turn came my wife used her phone to scan a barcode thingy and then log in via the internet to record her entry. As my handphone does not have free internet access I just entered my name and the time by hand in a register.

Then we had to have our temperatures taken and wash our hands with the alcohol solution provided and my wife had to enter her customer code number into the gismo that does that sort of thing.

When it came to the purchase, their debit card reader was not working so I had to withdraw cash from an in-store ATM machine (government advice is to use cash as little as possible). The distancing footprints were again only about 1.20 metres apart.

We then had to log out of the store, my wife electronically and me in the hand written register.

I was extremely pleased to finally return to the truck and remove my mask.

And I thought I hated shopping before!
Yep, that's the feeling I have when going grocery shopping. Because of the mask, and other people wearing masks, and all the signs up about social distancing and max occupancy, there's no way to mentally or even physically relax when shopping.

We don't have to do any of the process you described to get into a shop, but it's just donning a mask in the parking lot, and that, "Ok, I'm going in" feeling...as soon as that mask goes on, my whole body tenses up, and it doesn't untense, so to speak, until I'm back out in the car, and the entire time, I feel like I'm being prodded to shop faster and faster in order to get out of the shop.

Toilet paper and paper towels used to be the thing to hoard, now they're back in abundance.

Then it was flour, but that's mostly returned, and after that, yeast (I guess people figured out yeast and flour go together), and today, I saw my first yeast available in-store in the last three weeks.

What's been sold out in four shops for the last two weeks? Freezer/butcher's paper. I think someone somewhere is just randomly deciding to hold stuff back for the hell of it.

Next week, I'll finally be able to get some freezer paper, but Hershey's chocolate syrup will be gone. 🤷🏻‍♂️

As one of my friends said (well, emailed), what we are seeing in the UK is the result of a Cabinet full of toadies and sycophants. People who were simply in place to wave Brexit through. People utterly devoid of talent, people utterly devoid of empathy, people devoid of any discernible ability. Which is why we're in the lamentable mess we're in.

I finally went out to buy a new fridge/freezer. Nobody had any side-by-sides in stock. Everyone said mid to late June was when they were scheduled to get them. They said Covid-19 has the distribution system way behind demand. So, I'll have to milk just a little more life out of the old one.

Then we (neighbor and I) got some lunch at a Salvadoran restaurant that had patio seating, so we could sit outside. I had pupusas for the first time. Interesting. Quite different from Mexican tacos. Very simple, and rather doughy, which made them very filling. Mine were filled with pork and cheese.

People were spread out, and there was a gentle breeze to keep the patio ventilated.

Pupusa - Wikipedia

CD

The heavy paper that butchers wrap meat in. It's usually white or brown, fairly heavy-duty, and it's kind of waxy/shiny on one side (the side that goes against the meat).
That's not very common over here. Some butchers use it, but sadly most use plastic bags these days. It's not used domestically, although we do use baking paper or grease proof paper. Used to line cake tins etc. I use it to cook bacon on in the oven.

That's not very common over here. Some butchers use it, but sadly most use plastic bags these days. It's not used domestically, although we do use baking paper or grease proof paper. Used to line cake tins etc. I use it to cook bacon on in the oven.

Butcher paper is used a lot for wrapping BBQ here, especially brisket. You smoke the meat unwrapped until you have a nice bark, then wrap it to finish cooking. That keeps the bark from burning.

Unknown.jpeg

CD

As one of my friends said (well, emailed), what we are seeing in the UK is the result of a Cabinet full of toadies and sycophants. People who were simply in place to wave Brexit through. People utterly devoid of talent, people utterly devoid of empathy, people devoid of any discernible ability. Which is why we're in the lamentable mess we're in.

I watch sky news a lot, I watched when Brexit first came up and voting. I thought these people don't know the ramifications of this. Sure enough I was right.

Russ

There'll be a "Clap for Delivery Workers" tomorrow between 09:00 and 17:00.

Or it could be Saturday.

Back
Top Bottom