How is the corona virus affecting you?

To be honest I am getting a bit fed up with the constant conversations in the office, every single day: so-can we go out/meet friends/are the pubs open etc...I understand there is confusion but then we haven't been through anything like this before so we just need to carry on but be sensible, only touch what you need to, wash your hands regularly and socially distance.

To be honest I am getting a bit fed up with the constant conversations in the office, every single day: so-can we go out/meet friends/are the pubs open etc...I understand there is confusion but then we haven't been through anything like this before so we just need to carry on but be sensible, only touch what you need to, wash your hands regularly and socially distance.
Here, the issue has been the utter inconsistency in the rules that have been laid out. It's hard to follow when the national health advisor says "Do A, B, and C, except in the case of 1, then do elephant," then the state health advisor says, "Don't do A, but maybe do B and 1, but sometimes Y," and the governor says, "It's now officially declared, you must do turnip, code red, and eleventeen, except on second Sundays, then you can do whatever you want. Oh, and do everything the state and national health advisors said. We're all in this together!"

Honestly, I can't get too upset with anyone any longer who shows up without a mask, or with a mask over their mouth but not their nose, or whether a particular thing is a requirement or merely a suggestion because the guidance has been all over the place, especially of late, with the phases of reopening.

Isn't it interesting that in the U.S., Washington D.C. is closed with most government people working from home, but they are saying to the rest of the country, "Open up for business, go forth and stimulate the economy, go back to work, go out to eat, go spend money." And if you turn on CNBC, all of the stock channel shows have people who are working from home.

So what's good for the haves is not the same for the have nots. Send the sheep to slaughter while the politicians and other people stay home. The over-65 woman who is a cashier at the grocery store must go to work--she is not allowed to stay home until there is a vaccine as she would like to do, or she will lose her job. People with underlying health conditions who are afraid to go back to work at any retail store for fear of catching the virus will be fired if they do not go back to their jobs.

TR, is it true that Amy Acton is resigning? I heard a blip on the radio but I was getting into my car after walking in the park and didn't catch the entire conversation.

TR, is it true that Amy Acton is resigning? I heard a blip on the radio but I was getting into my car after walking in the park and didn't catch the entire conversation.
Yes, sadly, she stepped down as director today. She's staying on the governor's staff, though, but her authority is gone. Hopefully, she can influence things out of the spotlight.

I am doubly sad that her previous position caused her such angst. Apparently she had a lot of people who had the audacity to protest outside of her home and try to pick on her Jewish heritage. She didn't run for the Ohio Health Director position, she was picked by the governor. Unbelievable how horrible human beings can be at times.

So what's good for the haves is not the same for the have nots.

I came across this the other day...

"According to a recent report from the Institute for Policy Studies, America’s billionaires saw their wealth shoot up by $282 billion in just 23 days as the country was sheltering in lockdown. Overall, U.S. billionaire wealth grew by nearly 10% at the same time over 20 million people filed for unemployment, and by April 10 had passed $3.2 trillion—topping last year’s level."

Amazon founder Jeff Bezos, the world's richest man, has increased his wealth by $25 billion since the beginning of the year, the report estimates.

I can't wait to see how much money Big Pharma will make when they finally do get their vaccines ready to sell.

CD

I came across this the other day...

"According to a recent report from the Institute for Policy Studies, America’s billionaires saw their wealth shoot up by $282 billion in just 23 days as the country was sheltering in lockdown. Overall, U.S. billionaire wealth grew by nearly 10% at the same time over 20 million people filed for unemployment, and by April 10 had passed $3.2 trillion—topping last year’s level."

Amazon founder Jeff Bezos, the world's richest man, has increased his wealth by $25 billion since the beginning of the year, the report estimates.

I can't wait to see how much money Big Pharma will make when they finally do get their vaccines ready to sell.

CD
I winced when I saw the US government issuing billions in stimulus cheques to everyone because all that will happen when they are spent is the money will rise up through business bank accounts until it stops in the pockets of the uber rich.

I winced when I saw the US government issuing billions in stimulus cheques to everyone because all that will happen when they are spent is the money will rise up through business bank accounts until it stops in the pockets of the uber rich.

That is basically true no matter where the money comes from -- work or stimulus checks. For me, and many other people who have lost a lot of work income, that stimulus money means a lot. Keep in mind, a lot of that stimulus money went to things like paying the rent, and keeping the electricity on. Very basic needs.

By the way, not everyone got a check. People making more that $100K (IIRC) got less, or none at all.

Now, the forgivable "small business" loans were given first to business most likely to pay them back, because they are sitting on a mountain of cash. That program was messed up.

CD

Back
Top Bottom