How is the corona virus affecting you?

A supermarket delivery today, our first one since lockdown. It was from Morrisons and arrived in an unmarked van. Presumably the driver was one of the extra ones they have hired recently.

The delivery charge was just two pounds, which was pretty cheap. My only quibble was carrier bag overload. Quite why it needed the vast number they used, I have no idea. One bag contained a single tube of toothpaste and nothing else.

The same thing happens here at grocery stores, which is why I have my own big bags, and use the self check-out. If I go to the regular check-out lines, the cashier will put a few items in my bags, then go right back to the plastic bags that are so easy for them. I can get all my groceries in two of my IKEA reusable bags, while a cashier needs 20 plastic bags. Like you said, they sometimes put one or two items in a bag. Another favorite is when they put a gallon jug of tea (iced tea) with a handle in a bag. It is easier for me to just carry pick up the bottle by the handle.

CD

One of my friends is a flight attendant. He is on leave for the month of June. He only worked a few days in May. That's still more than I worked.

CD
Just to add to the misery, another client cancelled their vacation, booked through MrsTasty. Her entire annual income is now down to the commission on one vacation set for July.

One little, tiny bright spot - clients who work with my wife agree up front to pay a small fee if they put her through her paces and then decide not to book, sort of a "good faith" deposit, which is applied to their total cost when they do book.

With all of this going on, she's waiving that, not charging folks the deposit for cancelling. Two of her clients have insisted on paying the fee anyway, saying she did the work, she should get something.

Sort of restores your faith in humanity, a bit. ☺️

I am happy that NZ has come through this. Whilst of course I think of those New Zealanders who have lost their lives, as a nation you have clearly got more right than you got wrong, in contrast to many other countries including my own.

Enjoy your beer :cheers:

Lol, I did, and not a mask to be seen. Yes we have been very lucky. I wanted a quiet afternoon, but we just sat down and 10 mins later another friend and 3 others walked in, and sat with us. Seemed they wanted quiet day as well. Oh well, was still a good day out. No luck on the horses as well. No sign of distancing anywhere. :)

Russ

I see a lot of that here; it's why I prefer to bag my own. Kroger has always been adamant that shoppers not bag their own groceries, and I used to get so tired of getting out to the car, loading in the bags, and seeing an orange in one bag, two apples in another bag, a packet of nuts in a third bag, etc. Now that they have a self-scan feature, I can bag as I shop and be done with it.

I did have my first doc's appointment since all this started, with my dermatologist (I have rosacea). I wore a mask, but of course had to take it off to be examined, and he kept poking me in the face as he was dictating notes to his nurse. 😒
I too have rosacea, but being a female, it's easier for me to just wear a little tinted moisturizer to cover it up. Of course now in the days of having masks I don't have to worry too much about wearing makeup since the mask covers most of my face, especially since the only person who sees me with a mask is the curbside delivery person who is putting groceries in my trunk. No interaction needed.

Whenever in the past I shopped inside of stores, I had the opposite problem with baggers. they would put my produce in with a package of raw hamburger or chicken and I would watch them and have to stop them and request they not put raw meat with the produce. I would like to say it was only the youngsters doing this, but once it was the cashier who was an older lady. Her counter was, "Well there is plastic on the meat so I don't think you need to worry" and I said, "Sometimes meat leaks. Please package them separately," only to have her resentfully look at me as she accommodated my oh-so-unreasonable request, LOL.

Lol, I did, and not a mask to be seen. Yes we have been very lucky. I wanted a quiet afternoon, but we just sat down and 10 mins later another friend and 3 others walked in, and sat with us. Seemed they wanted quiet day as well. Oh well, was still a good day out. No luck on the horses as well. No sign of distancing anywhere. :)

Russ
You mean the horses didn't distance? I do rather like it when one horse distances greatly from the pack (especially the one you bet upon).

You mean the horses didn't distance? I do rather like it when one horse distances greatly from the pack (especially the one you bet upon).

Lol, I don't get how we stopped all racing here, but ozzy carried on as if nothing happened. Our harness has Been back racing for two weeks, gallops start in two weeks. We were betting in Australia. There they only have immediate people involved, no spectators. Weird to watch!

Russ

they would put my produce in with a package of raw hamburger or chicken
That's one thing I like about shopping at the gourmet place - their baggers are actually trained. Meat is always separated and they also take the time to check my eggs for cracks (even though I do that myself).

The place where I am doing my curbside pickup has their people trained fairly well--at least in this aspect. I have yet to find raw meats--or any meat, actually--packaged with anything else. Now they do occasionally surprise me with things they decided to substitute, even though my notes for each product states: "No substitions, please." So....

Texas is opening up at a pretty quick pace, and we are seeing a new uptick in cases. Here in Frisco, we had 7 new cases reported today. We had gotten down to just a few per week.

Churches are open for services, and of course, my parents (88 and 86) had to go. My dad said most people did not have masks on, and there was no social distancing.

CD

Back
Top Bottom