How is the corona virus affecting you?

To some degree, everyone has sold out to the Chinese, even conservatives in the US. That cheap labor is good for American corporate profits, which grease the wheels in Washington. Working class folk are also addicted to overloading shopping carts with cheap Chinese products at WalMart.

Trump talks big about punishing China for all kinds of things, including Covid-19. That gets the phones ringing in Washington from Corporate CEOs. And, if prices at WalMart go up due to tariffs and embargos, John Q Public is going to be up in arms, too. WalMart is the biggest employer in the US, too (when I was a kid, it was General Motors). Oh, and don't forget the US farmers who get hammered by retaliation from China.

CD

Btw I hope trump and other countries go China and get compensation for their carelessness . The crap all countries have to put up. They need to pay.

Russ

Give your head a shake Russ. It is worse than flu for most of us.

rascal responded to that - he was referring to the number of deaths in New Zealand, being no greater than those from flu. It was unfortunate wording. I think (almost) everyone knows how devastating this virus is.

The thing about NZ is that yes they acted fast - but its much easier to control on an island with a sparse population compared to the UK, fewer people travelling in and out and less reliance on imported goods. Quite a few islands seem to do well: Jersey, Guernsey, the Isle of Wight, for example.

NZ has a population of approx: 5 million in in an area of 268,021 km²
UK has population of approx: 66 million in area of 242,495 km²

So 'size wise' the UK is a bit smaller than NZ - but with a much, much denser population.

It really got to me today. I spent most of the day in bed. I feel fine, physically, but just wasn't motivated to do anything. Calling on my customers is getting hard to do, since I know they don't have any work for me. And I can't drink!!!

CD

Sorry caseydog - its been getting to me too. I keep feeling as if it will never end. It could be years before a vaccine is found and tested properly.

rascal responded to that - he was referring to the number of deaths in New Zealand, being no greater than those from flu. It was unfortunate wording. I think (almost) everyone knows how devastating this virus is.

The thing about NZ is that yes they acted fast - but its much easier to control on an island with a sparse population compared to the UK, fewer people travelling in and out and less reliance on imported goods. Quite a few islands seem to do well: Jersey, Guernsey, the Isle of Wight, for example.

NZ has a population of approx: 5 million in in an area of 268,021 km²
UK has population of approx: 66 million in area of 242,495 km²

So 'size wise' the UK is a bit smaller than NZ - but with a much, much denser population.

Thailand is obviously not an island. With a population of not much more than UK but around double the area, we have only (officially) suffered 58 deaths from this virus. Why? I don't know (and I don't believe that anyone else does).

Thailand is obviously not an island. With a population of not much more than UK but around double the area, we have only (officially) suffered 59 deaths from this virus. Why? I don't know (and I don't believe that anyone else does).

Another conundrum is Greece which has had only 182 reported deaths.

I read the book on how Walmart started, about 30? Years ago. Btw I'm pretty much up with murica. Although their politics confuses sometimes.

Russ
Hey, it confuses us sometimes, too.

Still no yeast at the grocery we go to most.
It's coming. I've seen ever-growing amounts of yeast week-to-week. After a few weeks of no yeast at all, I saw one lone 3X packet of instant yeast at Kroger about three weeks ago, then the next week, a couple of 3X packets, then last week, a whole box of 3X packets and two jars of ADY.

I've also noticed King Arthur flour slowly returning. Two bags of AP last week, then several bags of AP and self-rising this week.

We have plenty of yeast, as we got a 2 pound bag at the restaurant supply place a while back. Just looked for the heck of it.

What was weird though is I've been ordering deli stuff off their app so we don't have to wait at the deli counter. Went to do that today because Craig wanted capicola and roast beef. Couldn't order them, said not available. Just for the heck of it, looked when we got there and they had both.

I ordered a bag of bread and 2 AP bags off the KA site about 6 weeks ago so we have good flour, just had to pay shipping.

Off to the pub shortly with my good friend, we'll go somewhere quiet.my local has too many people wanting to talk rubbish. And we're gambling on the horses.
No distancing!!

Russ

Thailand is obviously not an island. With a population of not much more than UK but around double the area, we have only (officially) suffered 58 deaths from this virus. Why? I don't know (and I don't believe that anyone else does).
Thailand vs United States: Health > Quality of health care system Facts and Stats

Apparently Thailand has a higher quality healthcare system than the US. Go figure. Not sure how that compares to the rest of the world, but it explains why my sister who is a State Department employee living abroad chooses Thailand for non-essential medical procedures.

Off to the pub shortly with my good friend, we'll go somewhere quiet.my local has too many people wanting to talk rubbish. And we're gambling on the horses.
No distancing!!

Russ
I am happy that NZ has come through this. Whilst of course I think of those New Zealanders who have lost their lives, as a nation you have clearly got more right than you got wrong, in contrast to many other countries including my own.

Enjoy your beer :cheers:

A supermarket delivery today, our first one since lockdown. It was from Morrisons and arrived in an unmarked van. Presumably the driver was one of the extra ones they have hired recently.

The delivery charge was just two pounds, which was pretty cheap. My only quibble was carrier bag overload. Quite why it needed the vast number they used, I have no idea. One bag contained a single tube of toothpaste and nothing else.

One bag contained a single tube of toothpaste and nothing else.
I see a lot of that here; it's why I prefer to bag my own. Kroger has always been adamant that shoppers not bag their own groceries, and I used to get so tired of getting out to the car, loading in the bags, and seeing an orange in one bag, two apples in another bag, a packet of nuts in a third bag, etc. Now that they have a self-scan feature, I can bag as I shop and be done with it.

I did have my first doc's appointment since all this started, with my dermatologist (I have rosacea). I wore a mask, but of course had to take it off to be examined, and he kept poking me in the face as he was dictating notes to his nurse. 😒

Back
Top Bottom