How is the corona virus affecting you?

Report from Chonburi (one of the red lock-down provinces):

"The Thais are taking COVID very seriously. I sense an increased level of fear compared to last year. Masks are worn 100% when outside.
The large MAKRO in Pattaya was almost deserted at 19:00 last evening. Thais are now wearing the disposable gloves just to push their trollies and social distancing is exercised to the extreme - at the meat weigh counter a Thai lady waited 4 metres away for me to finish. On entry you have to look at a camera/thermometer and your image and temperature is captured on screen. It was a pleasant experience being able to walk up to a choice of cashiers."

Our government allowed a Christmas with no restrictions, now Covid cases are up (shocking) and they are implementing stricter restriction measures again.

That's a shame. However, we had a Christmas with strict measures and the numbers are still up so, I guess the virus just does its thing well.

That's a shame. However, we had a Christmas with strict measures and the numbers are still up so, I guess the virus just does its thing well.
I believe the reasoning is that people would break the restrictions anyway. Portugal is a very Catholic country (with clearly a very Catholic government) and Christmas is a very important time when families get together (the Portuguese definition of family is somewhat extended and includes aunts and uncles, cousins, grandparents, and godparents) and a lot of people also attend Christmas services at the Church. We already spent Easter in confinement (Easter is another important religious time here), no one believes people would sit home and not join the family for Christmas even if told not to. Of course they suffer the consequences after but no one likes to think about that. I really believe the government failed in keeping us safe over Christmas.

Another big polemic at the moment is that schools are running but to avoid virus transmission they are keeping windows and doors open. Portugal is being hit by a mass of polar cold and temperatures are unusually low. Children are taking blankets and snow clothing to classes and they are still cold. Maybe the worst about this is that our health ministry doesn't recommend keeping windows and doors open to ventilate rooms, they say you can use A/C as long as you follow some basic precautions like cleaning the A/C frequently and ventilating the room every now and then.

Well, optimism misplaced. My uncle died this morning.
I'm sorry for your loss, TastyReuben. I didn't notice your post until today (I've been hectic cooking pistachio dishes and focusing on food related threads). I was just about to ask you about the situation. Virtual hugs and the warmest thoughts to you and your family.

I'm sorry for your loss, TastyReuben. I didn't notice your post until today (I've been hectic cooking pistachio dishes and focusing on food related threads). I was just about to ask you about the situation. Virtual hugs and the warmest thoughts to you and your family.
Thank you very much. It's been a long week.

I just got a phone call from my nieces 16 yrs son. His father is off the ventilator and starting to recover. His Mum is still very weak but is improving. He and his 13 yrs old brother are looking after my niece. I cant comprehend what these two brave young men are going through. I feel f'ing useless.

I regret hearing that some members have been affected through their families and friends having been afflicted. I hope that for the most part, most members are doing OK.

I have noted what appears to be a decline in activity in the forums and have to wonder whether most of us are OK.

I have been lucky with COVID19, having had it back in February, last year, just as it was getting started. I reckon, I've got an antibody learned response now that keeps me safe and I exercise good sense, wear a face mask when I go out and keep reasonably isolated. Happily, my housemates have finally started limiting their social engagements by keeping their house guests down to a few good friends.

Best wishes and good health to all.

Sorry, I missed it too. Condolences TR.
Thanks, I appreciate it very much.

I just got a phone call from my nieces 16 yrs son. His father is off the ventilator and starting to recover. His Mum is still very weak but is improving. He and his 13 yrs old brother are looking after my niece. I cant comprehend what these two brave young men are going through. I feel f'ing useless.
Just hold on to that little bit of good news and try and build on that. It's terribly difficult to do a whole lot when you're so far apart in terms of physical distance. Maybe inquire and make sure they're getting groceries? Maybe pay for a food delivery via online? That might help.

I'm sure just checking in on them and letting them know you're concerned is a help. I've had a few friends with Covid, and just texting to say, "Hey, how are you feeling today," picked them up (they told me so, and I take them at their word). So check in on the two brothers and just let them know you're worried about them and their parents.

I have noted what appears to be a decline in activity in the forums and have to wonder whether most of us are OK.

Stats show the opposite!

Back
Top Bottom