How is the corona virus affecting you?

An unvaccinated married couple in California died two weeks apart of Covid. They left behind 5 children -- one was a newborn baby delivered while the mother was intubated. The mother never got to see her baby. The father only got to see photos before he died.

CD :(

As can only be expected in a country run by a twerp, less than 20% of the population has been vaccinated. A lot of us have had the first dose, but the second - no idea when it will arrive.
We´ve also got this crazy system of "one week on, one week off" - one week, everything can open, the next week, only essential services are available.
Basically, we´ve been in semi-solitary confinement for over a year and a half. I hate wearing a bloomin´mask - I find it exceedingly uncomfortable - but I ALWAYS wear one when I go out. Always.
That's crackers!

Sooo....
My 2 cents....
I will try to control myself and not get on a big rant.
Last weekend my Uncle who is only 5 years older than me, found out that his 6 year old grandaughter tested positive for Covid. His daughter is P!SSED. Cameron was infected by a child of antivaxer parents.
Teens have been going behind their parents back trying to get vaccinated. Parents who are objecting to mask mandates for political reasons bring their children to school without mask. The children are left sitting outside of the school.
Ok. I am trying to be calm and reasonable. WHAT THE F@%& IS WRONG WITH THESE PEOPLE WHO CALL THEMSELVES PARENTS?
Not able to remain calm. You all know that I hate profanity. I am using an F bomb.
Deep breath.
My SIL has 2 PHD's. She has spent her life as a medical research scientist. She was VP of Research and Development for a pharmaceutical company in Denver, Co. 3 years ago her company was bought by Pfizer. Her expertise was so valued that she was offer a huge incentive to stay on for 5 years. On one hand Patti is a brilliant woman, on the other hand she is a very down to earth, loving woman who is also a very good home cook.
Last Christmas my brother and his lovely wife, Patti visited us in Louisiana. I had a discussion with my brilliant, scientist SIL about vaccines for Covid. Her lab was not involved in the vaccine R&D. She did tell me that vaccines would be coming soon. She predicted that there would be a political resistance to the vaccine. Her frustration was palatable. Brilliant scientist have been working on a vaccine for a super virus for over 20 years. Scientist have known that a super virus pandemic was on the horizon. The basic premise of the vaccine has been in place for years. Replication of a synthetic RNA of the virus. The science was in place. That is why the vaccine was available as soon as it was.
SIL is beyond herself at the politicalization of vaccinations. She has spent her entire life researching and developing drugs and devices that can save lives. She takes things personally.
After a glass or two of wine we discussed the possibility of research and development of a cure for stupid.
August 2nd G had 3 stents inserted in 2 cardiovascular arteries. His cardiologist is rabid about the ignorance and the politicalization of vaccinations. He has lost patients to Covid who have refused to be vaccinated.
Last week G was on the phone with a friend who has had Covid twice. I told him he was a dumb A$$. Friend said "Yes I am a Dumb A$$. My politics are not worth being this sick."
So much for being calm and not going on a rant.
G has a friend who is a conspiracy theorist. Of course he refuses to get vaccinated because "THEY" say he should. His wife has Crones' Disease. She is immune compromised. I think that if I were married to this man I would seriously question his love of me. He puts his political conspiracy ideology over the well being of his wife.
Sorry all. I do do not agree with vaccine mandates. Counter productive. I do believe in personal responsibility. The media has made this a political issue. Bunk. It is a world health issue.
We will have the booster vaccine as soon as it is available.
So much for not going on a rant.
Thank you all for your patience. Sorry if I offended anyone.

Hey EB, many of us share your frustration. Because so many people refuse to get vaccinated, I have to (along with millions of others) start wearing a stinking mask in crowds, again. I'm vaccinated, so my risk of serious illness is low, but if I contract the virus, I'll have to quarantine for at least ten days. I seriously don't need that problem right now.

However, I reserve my greatest frustration with parents who don't get vaccinated, and don't want their kids to wear masks. That's like telling your kids, "Don't bother with seat belts when you ride in the car."

I am for mandates. We have to wear the above mentioned seatbelts, or pay a fine. We have to stop at red lights. Kids have to have a half-dozen other vaccines. We even have simple mandates like "No Shirt, No Shoes, No Service" at stores and restaurants. I don't see people protesting for their "individual right" to eat at Applebee's without a shirt.

I just want to grab some of these people by the shoulders, shake them up, and yell, "Get over yourself."

CD

Sooo....
My 2 cents....
Last weekend my Uncle who is only 5 years older than me, found out that his 6 year old grandaughter tested positive for Covid. His daughter is P!SSED. Cameron was infected by a child of antivaxer parents.
Teens have been going behind their parents back trying to get vaccinated. Parents who are objecting to mask mandates for political reasons bring their children to school without mask. The children are left sitting outside of the school.
Ok. I am trying to be calm and reasonable. WHAT THE F@%& IS WRONG WITH THESE PEOPLE WHO CALL THEMSELVES PARENTS?
Not able to remain calm. You all know that I hate profanity. I am using an F bomb.
Deep breath.
My SIL has 2 PHD's. She has spent her life as a medical research scientist. She was VP of Research and Development for a pharmaceutical company in Denver, Co. 3 years ago her company was bought by Pfizer. Her expertise was so valued that she was offer a huge incentive to stay on for 5 years. On one hand Patti is a brilliant woman, on the other hand she is a very down to earth, loving woman who is also a very good home cook.
Last Christmas my brother and his lovely wife, Patti visited us in Louisiana. I had a discussion with my brilliant, scientist SIL about vaccines for Covid. Her lab was not involved in the vaccine R&D. She did tell me that vaccines would be coming soon. She predicted that there would be a political resistance to the vaccine. Her frustration was palatable. Brilliant scientist have been working on a vaccine for a super virus for over 20 years. Scientist have known that a super virus pandemic was on the horizon. The basic premise of the vaccine has been in place for years. Replication of a synthetic RNA of the virus. The science was in place. That is why the vaccine was available as soon as it was.
SIL is beyond herself at the politicalization of vaccinations. She has spent her entire life researching and developing drugs and devices that can save lives. She takes things personally.
After a glass or two of wine we discussed the possibility of research and development of a cure for stupid.
August 2nd G had 3 stents inserted in 2 cardiovascular arteries. His cardiologist is rabid about the ignorance and the politicalization of vaccinations. He has lost patients to Covid who have refused to be vaccinated.
Last week G was on the phone with a friend who has had Covid twice. I told him he was a dumb A$$. Friend said "Yes I am a Dumb A$$. My politics are not worth being this sick."
G has a friend who is a conspiracy theorist. Of course he refuses to get vaccinated because "THEY" say he should. His wife has Crones' Disease. She is immune compromised. I think that if I were married to this man I would seriously question his love of me. He puts his political conspiracy ideology over the well being of his wife.
Sorry all. I do do not agree with vaccine mandates. Counter productive. I do believe in personal responsibility. The media has made this a political issue. Bunk. It is a world health issue.
I totally get it EB, she should reconsider that husband. And those parents, well don't get me started. The mother of my stepsons is very into alternative medicine, but thankfully she did see the need for my stepsons to be vacced and herself too, so that's one less worry given she is otherwise always looking for conflict with us.

I don't understand people who have faith in modern medicine but don't accept the vaccine as safe. Why would that suddenly be untrustworthy? Being slightly immunocompromised myself, I think they're a godsend.

I'm also frustrated about those who are unvaccinated holding up the process of getting a decent herd immunity, and granting the possibility for Covid to mutate into something that's potentially dangerous for vulnerable vacced people like me. I really don't mind some severe measures to stimulate people getting vacced at this point.

I hear you, EB, loud and clear. I just absolutely fail to understand why people don´t get vaccinated; I mean, would you knowingly stand stark naked in the Amazon jungle so you can get malaria? No.
However, it´s obviously become a political/conspiracy theory issue, and since I consider politicians to be lower on the food chain than cockroaches ( which I stamp on), I just ignore them, get vaccinated and wear a damned mask ( which will someday rip my ears off).
I´m sure all those anti-vaxxers were innoculated against diphtheria, tetanus, typhoid, TB and polio when they were younger - so what´s the beef?

Sooo....
My 2 cents....
Deep breath.

I think many of us here share your anger and frustration and I think you are right to have a rant. In the UK we are fortunate in that its not seen as a political issue at all. Both left and right are pro vaccine - no question about that.

I got pinged today, first time. It must be that someone on the flight back from Greece has tested positive and I have been identified as a contact. So, being vaccinated I don't need to isolate. Track and trace demand I take a PCR test, which has been ordered for delivery tomorrow. I took a lateral flow test immediately on getting the notification text, and will take a daily lateral flow test at the request of my employer. It's a bit of a pain, but that's the new reality.

With regard to the politicisation of the vaccine, as Morning Glory says it just seems mad to us. 90% of over 16s are now in the vaccine programme, top up doses start next week, and 12-15 years olds have become eligible for half doses. It's just a no brainer.

With regard to the politicisation of the vaccine, as Morning Glory says it just seems mad to us. 90% of over 16s are now in the vaccine programme, top up doses start next week, and 12-15 years olds have become eligible for half doses. It's just a no brainer.

Believe me, it seems crazy to most Americans, too. At age 60, I can't think of another time Americans were so politically divided other than during the Vietnam war. But, people were divided over a war then, not over a vaccine (and science in general).

It was announced that another anti-vax, anti-mask talk radio host kicked the bucket due to Covid today. They seem to be dropping like flies. You would think people would get a clue from that.

CD

Believe me, it seems crazy to most Americans, too. At age 60, I can't think of another time Americans were so politically divided other than during the Vietnam war. But, people were divided over a war then, not over a vaccine (and science in general).

It was announced that another anti-vax, anti-mask talk radio host kicked the bucket due to Covid today. They seem to be dropping like flies. You would think people would get a clue from that.

CD
I hear the clue they got 'oh it's radiation from the vaccinated people!' I've seriously seen this argument. It's just like religion, you can't argue with those who believe unless they fall from their faith in their own time.

I was just reading that the drug companies that produced the vaccines say it is less effective as time goes on and boosters will be needed going forward. Also with the variants that were inevitable and the efficacy of the original vaccines that boosters will be mandatory going forward anyplace there are restrictions now. Also it appears that hospitalizations for the vaccinated are on a rise, which makes sense considering the more people that get vaccinated the higher percentage of hospitalization will be the vaccinated. Looks like it's a booster program going forward, wonderful...

My colleagues 12 year old daughter wants the vaccine but ' a doctor' said that it could cause fertility problems so she is hesitant to have it because she wants kids when she gets older, thing is it may be true.

Back
Top Bottom