How is the corona virus affecting you?

Our healthcare leaders have called for a full lockdown for a month now because all hospitals are full. But what does the government do? Another ' intelligent' ( not my words) lockdown instead.

That comes down to:
- Everything but essential services & stores closes at 17.00 in the afternoon and stays closed until 06.00 in the morning. Delivery remains permissible
- Face masks & 1.5 metre distance mandatory everywhere, including schools
- Mandatory testing 2 times a week for students of all ages
- Must be seated in restaurants , theatres etc
- QR code for entry to any venue, but a negative test is still ok too
- The army will be deployed for booster shots for the elderly, but after they've been vaxxed it's left up to the rest of the populace to arrange a booster themselves without an invitation, this while their vaxx hotline is still understaffed & suffering problems

So again, a whole lot of things that haven't proven effective enough. They say they will hold another press conference in three weeks, but with the escalating problems in hospitals one week is more likely.

Given that some states in the US have begun to authorize covid vaccine for children, and given that the vaccine may cause ongoing side effects, and given still, that medical science still does not have a solid knowledge or understanding of covid or the covid vaccines, we should all be aware of the hard reality facing the world. Actions are being taken to combat covid with risk. In non-totalitarian nations, people protest and refuse to comply with vaccination requirements and take on the risk in a more frontal way. But regardless, the whole covid pandemic is not something to be simply brushed off as 'not so bad' and to be livable without taking a choice about how to address the risks. Covid is a reality and risks, to vaccinate or be exposed without vaccination are a reality. Despite the lack of full knowledge about covid and the vaccines, governments are taking actions to attempt to quell the pandemic and their efforts may not be very successful, given the numbers of people who have yet to be infected and the unknowns about the virus, virus mutation and the current vaccines.

The issues are not simple.

It seems this thread has become a debate thread between a lot of foodies with zero medical training.

The title of the thread is, "How is the corona virus affecting you?" We can all post things we've read and heard, but as far as I know, none of us are doctors or infectious disease scientists.

I read things, and talk to my sister, who works on the front line of this pandemic. I sift through all of this information and make decisions based on that limited knowledge. Anyone on a cooking forum who thinks they know more than everyone else is not somebody I am going trust with my life, unless they have the letters "MD" after their name and some serious infectious disease credentials.

It is certainly great for people to share what they have read or heard, but we need to keep in mind that we are NOT experts, and what we share with each other should not be take TOO seriously.

CD

Given that some states in the US have begun to authorize covid vaccine for children, and given that the vaccine may cause ongoing side effects, and given still, that medical science still does not have a solid knowledge or understanding of covid or the covid vaccines, we should all be aware of the hard reality facing the world. Actions are being taken to combat covid with risk. In non-totalitarian nations, people protest and refuse to comply with vaccination requirements and take on the risk in a more frontal way. But regardless, the whole covid pandemic is not something to be simply brushed off as 'not so bad' and to be livable without taking a choice about how to address the risks. Covid is a reality and risks, to vaccinate or be exposed without vaccination are a reality. Despite the lack of full knowledge about covid and the vaccines, governments are taking actions to attempt to quell the pandemic and their efforts may not be very successful, given the numbers of people who have yet to be infected and the unknowns about the virus, virus mutation and the current vaccines.

The issues are not simple.

Bottom line, and this is something my sister and I discussed tonight, is that people are expecting doctors, scientists and the government to have magical powers. Covid-19 is a virus. It has a life of its own. It mutates. It doesn't care about doctors, scientists and governments. It doesn't have the capacity to think. It just survives as long as it can, in any way it can.

All we can do is fight, and cope.

CD

It seems this thread has become a debate thread between a lot of foodies with zero medical training.

The title of the thread is, "How is the corona virus affecting you?" We can all post things we've read and heard, but as far as I know, none of us are doctors or infectious disease scientists.

I read things, and talk to my sister, who works on the front line of this pandemic. I sift through all of this information and make decisions based on that limited knowledge. Anyone on a cooking forum who thinks they know more than everyone else is not somebody I am going trust with my life, unless they have the letters "MD" after their name and some serious infectious disease credentials.

It is certainly great for people to share what they have read or heard, but we need to keep in mind that we are NOT experts, and what we share with each other should not be take TOO seriously.

CD
Of course nobody are experts here, that goes without saying. It's just conversation CD, like most forums over the internet. Some people don't care about information, others do. Current affairs regarding covid may not be appropriate here so I couldn't really comment. A different thread might be appropriate for that if it would make some people feel better, makes no difference to me.

Last edited:
Michigan, at the moment, is claimed to be a hot spot for covid in the US. I'm happy to hear that you all got vaccinated and have survived the infection, but am surprised that with the vaccination, you had any symptoms at all.

Back in late February 2020, I got COVID19 without being vaccinated and it was a hard hit, mostly, because of the immune response. And it was picked up not by respiration, but by touching contaminated surfaces and then touching hand held food I ingested. Your dishwasher experience seems to have gone that way.

I still don't think many people understand that a lot of major harm from COVID infection is done by the human body's immune response and less by the virus compromising cellular genetic machinery and destroying cells and tissue. A severe immune response, a so called cytokene storm, can cause tissue damage and is not localized, effecting everything from internal organs to circulation and nervous systems.

The worse infection is a respiratory infection which directly affects lung tissue and I suppose, suffers most from the virus doing actual cell and tissue damage, augmented by immune system response. A gastro infection seems to suffer mostly, a severe (cytokene storm) immune response impact, much more easy to live through, but still a major hit that can be fatal.

BTW: Face masks should for everybody, become a standard part of their clothing, when going out into the world where they encounter other people. COVID is NOT going away.
He most certainly has a different variant than what you had and for what the vaccine was targeted to combat. You most likely had the alpha variant. TLNG most likely has Delta which is the dominant strain right now. Since the vaccine was designed to combat an earlier strain, it's not surprising he had symptoms. If he hadn't gotten the vaccine it likely would have been way worse.

flyinglentris in the past you had written you suspected you had Covid-19 but never actually got tested.

CD
I actually do have some training and a good understanding of anatomy, physiology, pathophysiology, medical terminology, and pharmacology. No expert by any means but I have a very good understanding of pathogens, vaccines, etc.

Last edited:
So? What's your point?

BTW: I did not suspect that I had covid. I knew it.
My pont is that suspecting it is not the same thing. If you didn't get tested you can't say for certain. If everyone who has a common cold or RSV, the flu, strep, etc. right now didn't get tested, there would be a lot of people inaccurately claiming they have Covid-19. Without a test it's not scientifically conclusive.

I know about half a dozen people over the past year who thought they had Covid-19. They got tested. They didn't have it.

I've had some verbal discussions with some of my husband's family members over the past week that haven't gone so well. His aunt (in her 70s) and some of the cousins (also older, 60s and 70s) want to go ahead and have the annual family Christmas party, which is usually 100+ people. I have successfully reasoned with my husband and his mother that it's a horrible idea and we should wait and see about next year (doubtful but I'll keep that to myself). The aunt and older cousins are all vaccinated, but there are quite a few younger relatives who are not. The aunt and cousins are badgering us to go but I'm adamant about keeping hubby and his mother (who has a lung condition) safe (and myself safe as well of course). The aunt and cousins are going through with the party. They are upset they only have 30 confirmed for the party (which is at a club with a bar that will have other non-family people) and it won't be the same without us, etc. Ugh. So I will have to keep being stubborn with them.

Also still battling with 3 out of 4 of my stepchildren about not getting vaccinated. Two of them say they're going to do it (been saying that since June) and one says she doesn't trust what's in it. I've sent her articles from science journals and tried to explain MRNA technology to her, but she won't listen or read it, she only listens to what her friends (and her antivaxxer mother) say and believes what she sees on people's Facebook pages. I'll have to keep fighting to keep my loved ones safe.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had some verbal discussions with some of my husband's family members over the past week that haven't gone so well. His aunt (in her 70s) and some of the cousins (also older, 60s and 70s) want to go ahead and have the annual family Christmas party, which is usually 100+ people. I have successfully reasoned with my husband and his mother that it's a horrible idea and we should wait and see about next year (doubtful but I'll keep that to myself). The aunt and older cousins are all vaccinated, but there are quite a few younger relatives who are not. The aunt and cousins are badgering us to go but I'm adamant about keeping hubby and his mother (who has a lung condition) safe (and myself safe as well of course). The aunt and cousins are going through with the party. They are upset they only have 30 confirmed for the party (which is at a club with a bar that will have other non-family people) and it won't be the same without us, etc. Ugh. So I will have to keep being stubborn with them.

Also still battling with 3 out of 4 of my stepchildren about not getting vaccinated. Two of them say they're going to do it (been saying that since June) and one says she doesn't trust what's in it. I've sent her articles from science journals and tried to explain MRNA technology to her, but she won't listen or read it, she only listens to what her friends (and her antivaxxer mother) say and believes what she sees on people's Facebook pages. I'll have to keep fighting to keep my loved ones safe.
I've recently convinced 2 people to get vaxxed that were hard core antivaxxers with both pushing 70 yrs old, so that was important. I used the endemic argument, and let that sink in for a while and that seemed to have convince them. Where I live in Ontario we just hit 89% fully vaxxed over 12yrs old and 96% for ages 60 and over. We also just recorded 996 new cases, the highest since the beginning of October. Obviously the infections are in the younger demographic and almost no deaths, which is expected considering the risk of death in almost negligible under 40.

I've recently convinced 2 people to get vaxxed that were hard core antivaxxers with both pushing 70 yrs old, so that was important. I used the endemic argument, and let that sink in for a while and that seemed to have convince them. Where I live in Ontario we just hit 89% fully vaxxed over 12yrs old and 96% for ages 60 and over. We also just recorded 996 new cases, the highest since the beginning of October. Obviously the infections are in the younger demographic and almost no deaths, which is expected considering the risk of death in almost negligible under 60.
You forget that many Canadians have good common sense and are reasonable people who don't let politics interfere with good judgment. Sad to say that it's not so much the case in the US. I think we are at about 60% adults vaccinated in Ohio but not that many kids. I know a lot of people with kids between 5-17 and very few of them are willing to get their kids vaccinated, even if the parents are. Makes no sense.

You forget that many Canadians have good common sense and are reasonable people who don't let politics interfere with good judgment. Sad to say that it's not so much the case in the US. I think we are at about 60% adults vaccinated in Ohio but not that many kids. I know a lot of people with kids between 5-17 and very few of them are willing to get their kids vaccinated, even if the parents are. Makes no sense.
Well, I'm not that convinced double vaxxing kids is the right path forward yet, I'm still looking at the risk/reward data. It's easy to blaze a trail with the mantra "even 1 death is too much when it comes to kids", I get it, but there's just too much contradiction with those same authorities and it makes me very angry that I'm now looking at the data which is just coming in from different countries. I won't be led by intimidation, fear and guilt not when kids health is on the line, ever. This is obviously not a popular stance, but nevertheless, that's where I am on this topic at the moment. cheers.

Well, I'm not that convinced double vaxxing kids is the right path forward yet, I'm still looking at the risk/reward data. It's easy to blaze a trail with the mantra "even 1 death is too much when it comes to kids", I get it, but there's just too much contradiction with those same authorities and it makes me very angry that I'm now looking at the data which is just coming in from different countries. I won't be led by intimidation, fear and guilt not when kids health is on the line, ever. This is obviously not a popular stance, but nevertheless, that's where I am on this topic at the moment. cheers.
Most people I know have older children in their late teens and are not far from adulthood. The only people I know who had their kids vaccinated, the kids were 8 and 10, but both had preexisting health conditions.

My stepkids are 26-32 and only the 26 year old has gotten vaccinated.

A quick derail down the obvious path.

8000 children are shot in America every year. I would like to see the venn diagram of those who oppose vaccinating under 18s because of the supposed risk, and those who believe every home should have a gun.

https://www.bradyunited.org/key-statistics

Anyway, my side effects from my third jab have passed, and were worth it in my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom