How is the corona virus affecting you?

It's rather taken off in Guernsey which is a shame as we managed to keep Covid free for so long.

I have to keep Covid free as if I don't my upcoming op will be cancelled. To be honest if it wasn't for the possible consequences of catching covid I'd welcome it as my op would be cancelled.

Omicron now in the UK (England) as expected. 2 cases at the moment but we are a small densely populated country so it will probably spread quickly. Prime minister announced masks to be worn in shops and is 'boosting' the booster programme plus various quarantining and testing measures for people arriving into the country.

My feeling is its not enough. I expected a 'work at home where possible' announcement at least.
More than likely it's in most countries or will be shortly regardless of travel restrictions, at least that's what most authorities in the medical community are saying from what I've heard and read, which I can't disagree with, it's probably accurate.

Dr Angelique Coetzee who's the head of the South African Medical Association who first detected this variant and a clinician working with patients during this time has said that from Nov 18 when cases were very low that the cases then started to rise rapidly and from testing discovered this new variant. So far Dr. Coetzee says all the cases have been "extremely mild cases" with headaches and extreme tiredness and some body aches and not the seriousness of the Delta at all, so far, and of course this could change. Most of the patients she's seen have been vaccinated but in other parts of SA in Soweto for example where most of the population is unvaccinated more serious outcomes have emerged and some ICU cases. Vaccination is important, very important, so if you need more proof, here is some more to get vaccinated. It's a better scenario if this ends up being reality where someone can come into contact with covid and not get very sick. It would basically end up being an annoyance like the common cold .........or at least until another variant comes around that literally could bring us back to March 2020 overnight and why everyone on the planet needs to be vaccinated.

Dr. Coetzee says and is repeating herself that unless we vaccinated the whole population on earth these variants will continue to emerge indefinitely and of course every Dr. agrees with this, so she pleads with countries that have the recourses to contribute as much vaccine as they can to the countries that can't afford it. Hey Pharma how about not making a profit for the better good.

Last edited:
So far Dr. Coetzee says all the cases have been "extremely mild cases" with headaches and extreme tiredness and some body aches and not the seriousness of the Delta at all, so far, and of course this could change.

I saw her interviewed on TV here and that is indeed what she said, which is a bit reassuring. Although, SA has a relatively young population compared to the UK and I suppose there isn't enough data yet about how it affects older folk. The UK has contributed a lot of vaccines elsewhere. In south Africa there is a really big issue of vaccine hesitancy rather than vaccine shortage which means that only around 21% have been vaccinated so far. I don't suppose its possible to know if that contributed to this new variant emerging.

I know I'm personally worried. I'm getting the booster on the 9th December and I have to go into a crowded town centre in the middle of Christmas shopping. It makes me nervous. I really don't want to catch the virus in the process of getting the booster...

I saw her interviewed on TV here and that is indeed what she said, which is a bit reassuring. Although, SA has a relatively young population compared to the UK and I suppose there isn't enough data yet about how it affects older folk. The UK has contributed a lot of vaccines elsewhere. In south Africa there is a really big issue of vaccine hesitancy rather than vaccine shortage which means that only around 21% have been vaccinated so far. I don't suppose its possible to know if that contributed to this new variant emerging.

I know I'm personally worried. I'm getting the booster on the 9th December and I have to go into a crowded town centre in the middle of Christmas shopping. It makes me nervous. I really don't want to catch the virus in the process of getting the booster...
I thought SA was 42% but i might be confusing it with another stat. I know Sub Saharan Africa is single digits mostly along with India's rural population....billions of people left really and who knows what goes on in China.

Yes this is only her observations and a younger population. What is considered younger? I'm kind of optimistic though. The demographic that has the highest death as a percentage at 22.4 % and it's also the lions share as well are the group 80 and above who also have the highest comorbidity and generally not much time until the end of life and in Ontario that demographic is 98.6 double vaxxed and don't have the same responsibility and mobility to fulfil the obligations of a younger and working demographic, who also raise a family and are more social and mobile. In that respect I think most of what will be seen in the infected population might medically be considered younger. I believe when people think younger we think kids but medically that might not be the case, but I'm not sure I'm just speculating lol . 60 to 79 with 4.1% chances of death here in Ontario, and I would suspect if you vetted that data out it would end up again to be closer to the older end of that spectrum and with much higher comorbidly. From 40-59 it's 0.4% here and kids are 0.1%.

I think the other important thing I've learned in the last 24hrs it that even though this new variant has 32 mutations, they've all been seen before in the alpha, beta, gamma and delta variants so this new variant doesn't have a new mutation per se and just more of the same variants and so far with less viral efficacy but much more transmittable. Fingers crossed that this is the case.

Last edited:
How was your experience getting your 2 vaccines previously? Personally I drove to the site for my first vaccine and it was during a big push for vaccinations and I have to say that it was quite safe and never felt that I might come too close to people in general except the person giving me the shot. 2nd shot was even more sparse of people in general. If like you say you stay away from people, even your family and have your food brought in then I suggest it's up to you when you get the booster and if you feel that it's too crowded you can change your mind. What is keeping you safe is your distancing and not the vaccine at this point, just be vigilant and go and get the booster when you feel comfortable with the situation, the booster will always be available to you so if you need to turn around and go home, then do that. Just my opinion.

Last edited:
More than likely it's in most countries or will be shortly regardless of travel restrictions, at least that's what most authorities in the medical community are saying from what I've heard and read, which I can't disagree with, it's probably accurate.

Dr. Fauci is already telling us to expect it to get to the US. Start preparing now. Will we do that? Probably not.

CD

How was your experience getting your 2 vaccines previously?

It was fine. It was in the GP surgery with distancing in place. The boosters are being given elsewhere and in my area they all seem to be in shopping centres.

What is keeping you safe is your distancing and not the vaccine at this point, just be vigilant and go and get the booster when you feel comfortable with the situation, the booster will always be available to you so if you need to turn around and go home, then do that. Just my opinion.

I suppose you are right but I'm concerned immunity will wane if I leave it too long. One problem is that I have to go with my partner who has dementia and try to keep him distanced too. He doesn't really understand although I have drilled it into him to keep distant from others. I think I'm worrying too much.

It was fine. It was in the GP surgery with distancing in place. The boosters are being given elsewhere and in my area they all seem to be in shopping centres.

I suppose you are right but I'm concerned immunity will wane if I leave it too long. One problem is that I have to go with my partner who has dementia and try to keep him distanced too. He doesn't really understand although I have drilled it into him to keep distant from others. I think I'm worrying too much.
It's antibodies that wane in this time frame and not immunity MG. Antibodies were always going to wane because of the effect it has on our blood over time, why this hasn't been said enough I have no Idea, incompetence mostly I think. B cells and T cells are our long term protection that will respond and produce new antibodies when an infection is detected and for some viruses B and T cells have been shown to last a lifetime. A booster for sure will do that as well and it's easier to manage. Basically viral load, antibodies, B cells, overall health is an individual reality that the Gov't can't factor in to a response so it looks at it's population as a single entity, and not as an individual which is what health practitioners deal with and can advise more appropriate and logical action as opposed to a national message for emergency use. More studies need to be done in order to see how long the B cells are active for covid which are being done with most of these studies coming out of Israel, so for now they can't use that, but it exists, and is robust. You really can't blame people for being excessively worried because it's been fear that has been used as a motivator right from the beginning. Statistically the chances are low, very low especially when someone is as conscious about safety as you MG. Fear isn't good for the body either. 18 months living with fear will have an effect on our mind and body, so I suggest you look at research and I know you like to do that, that contradicts your beliefs as they are now. Take care.

Dr. Fauci is already telling us to expect it to get to the US. Start preparing now. Will we do that? Probably not.

CD
Not many if any Countries are as good as SA, well maybe Denmark at detection so we'll assume it will be in the population of most countries that have been flying passengers out of SA and considering the first case was detected back on the 9th, I would say it's already in the USA. What do you mean by preparing?

New restrictions coming in Portugal...the government is trying to restrict contacts after the holiday season so in the 1st week of January, remote work will be mandatory and schools will be closed. Covid tests are mandatory for everyone traveling into Portugal regardless of nationality and vaccination status, and Covid tests are also mandatory for people visiting nursing homes and people hospitalized. The Covid certificate is also mandatory for people who want to eat in restaurants and bars.

This could be much worse, but it's still discouraging that we're one of the countries with the biggest % of people vaccinated and we're going back to restrictive measures. We're having a sharp increase in number of new cases, hospitalizations and deaths are going up but they are still around 5 times less than what we were having last year. I'm honestly disappointed that we're going back and it seems like there's no way this will ever end :(

New restrictions coming in Portugal...the government is trying to restrict contacts after the holiday season so in the 1st week of January, remote work will be mandatory and schools will be closed. Covid tests are mandatory for everyone traveling into Portugal regardless of nationality and vaccination status, and Covid tests are also mandatory for people visiting nursing homes and people hospitalized. The Covid certificate is also mandatory for people who want to eat in restaurants and bars.

This could be much worse, but it's still discouraging that we're one of the countries with the biggest % of people vaccinated and we're going back to restrictive measures. We're having a sharp increase in number of new cases, hospitalizations and deaths are going up but they are still around 5 times less than what we were having last year. I'm honestly disappointed that we're going back and it seems like there's no way this will ever end :(
Once the decision is made that 1 death is one death too many, there is no way out until it's gone. Politically, doing anything but taking this philosophy is suicide, so most Countries are all in to the very end.

The world put a new meaning on lockdown. Lockdowns should only be used if a countries Hospital facilities are not adequate enough for a given time period. We've been on some type of lockdown or restriction since March 2020... Portugal is one of the most vaccinated countries in the world, good job.

I sometimes double mask. I put a paper KN95 under a cloth mask. My doctor told me that was a very effective way of keeping pathogens at bay.

Back
Top Bottom