How many of you still like to go out & 'kick it" with your friends>

GadgetGuy

(Formerly Shermie)
Local time
4:10 AM
"Kicking it" or clubbing means that one would go out with friends & have dinner then some drinks & just have a nice time. I still do it on ocaission. To me, it is sort of a relaxing time like in the evening when you don't feel like cooking or doing chores, or you're all caught up with housework & you just want to get together with friends for a few hours before going to bed at night. :whistling:

We did (and will be again), but for us, it's exactly the opposite, we meet for breakfast or brunch.

There's a place in the city that hosts a monthly German sausage buffet. It starts at 11AM, but we usually show up at 10AM and get the beer ordered and have a couple of beers before it officially opens and we'll invite friends to that.

Other than that, if there's some kind of festival or something going on, we'll do that, but that's more during the day than at night. We're fuds, we like to get home before dark! :laugh:

We're going out to supper next week and meeting friends, but the reservations are at 6PM, so we'll be home by 8:30PM.

Because of the pandemic, we haven't gone anywhere in over a year..a few times we've dropped in on friends but that's about it..usually sit outside on the deck..our restaurants and bars have either been closed entirely or only allowed 25% capacity..it's not worth it...but, I am looking forward to being able to do it again..

My Family Portrait

I didn't get together with friends too often in my 20's and 30's. I was busy with Colleen and our 3 kids. Now that I'm 52 and am empty nester I hang out with some friends two to three times a month. Tomorrow I'm cooking flank steaks with a chimichurri sauce and some sides. Then were going to have a few bourbons and play limit poker most of the night. We chat, laugh, and have a great time.

Not something I've done in a while -- thanks Covid.

Before Covid, I would get together with my car-guy friends a couple times a year, usually at the SEMA Show in Las Vegas, and/or at Monterey car week -- Pebble Beach Concours, Monterey Historic Races and RM/Sotheby's auction. Car stuff by day, food, drinks and cigars by night.

Once Covid is over, we will resume that tradition.

CD

We've only gotten together with friends and family outside since Covid-19. We've done outdoor dining 3 times in over a year. We plan on getting together with other fully vaccinated people in the future.

Covid-19 probably isn't going to just disappear.

It won't disappear, but if we can get enough people to get vaccinated, we can get back to doing things we like to do. If anyone here knows anyone who doesn't want to get the vaccine, do what you can to change their minds, so we can all get back to some level or "normal" as soon as possible.

CD

It won't disappear, but if we can get enough people to get vaccinated, we can get back to doing things we like to do. If anyone here knows anyone who doesn't want to get the vaccine, do what you can to change their minds, so we can all get back to some level or "normal" as soon as possible.

CD
Preaching to the choir, brother. I know a bunch of people who won't get vaccinated. I don't have to tell you which political party they are affiliated with. Dumbasses.

Here they have gotten so ridiculous with DUIs nobody wants to drive.

Without this virus I would have a good business plan - a bar/restaurant with pickup and delivery. Just get a coupe of drivers for cheap wages but give them whatever fees. I figure ten bucks for so many miles and then so much a mile after that. Eat, drink and get a buzz on and don't worry about a ticket on the way home.

While DUIs are a big problem for people here, liquor licenses are cheap. Think, I could advertise that we care about the community and do not want to see people dying in car wrecks.

There is one place, some of us shot pool and we found this place that is open 24/7/365 and you cna smoke there and bring your own beer etc. Not so sure abut toking the other stuff, wouldn't try. The parking lot is right there. They just ask you to keep the drinks away form the tables and to respect each other.

I got into lots of trouble going to bars. It is not worth the effort. We had one up the street wwe went to but they got bought out and the new owners got rid of my big beers and about doubled all the prices.

So we do not do much like that at all anymore. :-(

T

Doing things with friends ended a long time ago, not surprisingly around the time we had our first child. This is pretty normal: children are always a limiting factor, since you can't/shouldn't take them to loud places, can't/shouldn't/don't want them at a bar, etc. You might end up getting together with other people who have young children, so the kids can play together while the adults remember what it's like to socialize with other adults. Or, you might get the grandparents to watch your kids while you go out with friends. That usually stops when the kids get older and are less cute.

The kids have been old enough for a while that they can be left alone while we go out and do things. But, we've lost contact with friends with whom we might have done things. And, many of them have kids, too, and they've likewise become deconditioned out of thinking in social terms. Once in a blue moon, we get together, have a great time, and say we should definitely do this again some time. But, we don't.

I remember when we'd think about where we were going to go and what we were going to do on Friday. And, some particularly adventurous friends started making Thursday night a sort of unofficial start to the weekend. But, that's in the past. We've gotten older and used to a routine, and now Friday is just the signal that we get to sleep in the next day. Saturday is the day to do yard work. Sunday is the day to do grocery shopping. We might go out to eat, just the two of us (or with the family), but that's usually the extent of it.

This doesn't mean we can't or won't get together and do things with people. It always feels like we're doing something amazing and wonderful when we do. We've just gotten out of practice.

The kids are the main ones who are having wild maskless parties, setting themselves up for a super spreader, as top officials are calling it. In the footsteps of Donald Trump with the wild Christmas parties before he left the White House.

Even though some places are beginning to let up on covid-19 restrictions, it does not mean that we can go completely back to pre-covid-19 days before the pandemic took a hold on the country.

We still have to where masks outside. :eek:

Oh I would love to hang out with friends.

I used to be very shy as a child, teen and early adult. But in mature adulthood I love it and treasure it.

It is very precious to exchange life updates, fun stories, jokes, other friends' updates.

The group gatherings are still a bit off...even weddings are limited to 25 people, and some people like 300 over.(I do not, but just saying).

I have had walks in parks or nature with one friend at a time, one time there were 3 of us...frequency?

Hm...everybody is so busy...either work or family with kids or a combination...possibly once or twice a month...

I loved going out to salsa dance.Perhaps 3-4 times a year...that is not coming back soon...but it was always a planned night out, as a single Mom with kid, I had to organize kid spends the night at her Dad's...

As The Late Night Gourmet mentioned and TastyReuben ...the truly big hangouts or parties are limited with a kid, and most of the present friendly mingglings happen in the afternoon or even morning...

Most often a coffee is involved, but not necessarily, sometimes patisserie, ice cream stands/shops, rarely would we go out to a diner...I did that with one very close friend...just the two of us ladies...

During lockdown we only had walks and it was fine.

I'd love to do outdoor cooking and games with friends...a dream to come true, hopefully😊🌼🌾🍀

Maybe some didn't like what I said. Well maybe I should clarify. First of all I grew up in bars. One was Cubar's, close enough for walking. Ma had thrown me out kinda and I wanted to go and see what it was like. The olman took me in, we found a bed and good to go. Says "money is in the drawer". Umm, I looked and there was like five grand there.

Anyway he worked long hours, and I had been with him to Cubar's and started going in drinking on his tab while he was at work. This went on and he never complained. One day I get there and he is sleeping at the bar. Ibelly up and orderme a beer and the bartender hands me the olman's gun, it fell out of his pocket and they didn't want anyone to pick it up.

Later in life I got away and had some type of life and went to so many chain bars I had more ozone than a thunderstorm. In fact got in trouble driving over some of them. Since 1982 I am waiting to get sued or a golf course, but that is another story.

What I like now is going to houses, and having people over. There is no cover charge, a beer is not five bucks, you choose if and when on the music.

And then they cook. (or I cook) Now we are talking you won't get in a bar. Food on the salty side to keep you drinking. Loud crappy music, people you really don't want to see. No, people have time to think. And you can have intelligent discussions. Not easy in a bar.

Kickin' it with friends, yes but with a whole new plan.

T

Maybe some didn't like what I said. Well maybe I should clarify. First of all I grew up in bars. One was Cubar's, close enough for walking. Ma had thrown me out kinda and I wanted to go and see what it was like. The olman took me in, we found a bed and good to go. Says "money is in the drawer". Umm, I looked and there was like five grand there.

Anyway he worked long hours, and I had been with him to Cubar's and started going in drinking on his tab while he was at work. This went on and he never complained. One day I get there and he is sleeping at the bar. Ibelly up and orderme a beer and the bartender hands me the olman's gun, it fell out of his pocket and they didn't want anyone to pick it up.

Later in life I got away and had some type of life and went to so many chain bars I had more ozone than a thunderstorm. In fact got in trouble driving over some of them. Since 1982 I am waiting to get sued or a golf course, but that is another story.

What I like now is going to houses, and having people over. There is no cover charge, a beer is not five bucks, you choose if and when on the music.

And then they cook. (or I cook) Now we are talking you won't get in a bar. Food on the salty side to keep you drinking. Loud crappy music, people you really don't want to see. No, people have time to think. And you can have intelligent discussions. Not easy in a bar.

Kickin' it with friends, yes but with a whole new plan.

T
Being sad and sorry in response isn't the same as not liking what you said. I agreed with your post.

Back
Top Bottom