How much exercise do you take each day?

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
12:56 AM
Be honest please! I am perfectly dreadful. I can spend days on end with no exercise unless you count walking about the house and walking to Aldi (a five minute walk). Lately I've been walking the dog twice a day (two 30 mins to 45 mins walks a day) due to my partner being incapacitated. I'm finding it difficult - especially in the current heat and I've now developed a metatarsal problem which means that walking hurts and I have swollen feet!

So - be honest and put me to shame if you will. How much exercise do you take each day?

It varies. If I'm on a watch shift at work i rarely leave the area of the watch desk, I would be in trouble if I was uncontactable during a watch shift. Also as I work shifts, when I do an early shift a 4 am wake up leaves me tired so often I get home early afternoon meaning to do this, that and the other, go for a walk, lift some weights etc but wake up on the couch wondering why I'm looking at my knees.

So to counteract the above I go fishing, geocaching etc. when I get the chance. It can be difficult to motivate yourself when all you want to do is curl up in front of the telly.

@Wyshiepoo - geocaching ?? Incidentally - and it's way off-topic - I was in Guernsey 'that night' in October 1987. My wife and I didn't sleep all night with the constant sound of breaking glass. Were you there then?

Over the past 28 days I've averaged 26 active minutes per day according to my Fitbit. Fitbit Active Minutes are when the Fitbit identifies that I'm putting in more effort than normal - so its a combination of "proper" exercise and other strenuous activities, but as they all raise the heart rate then it all counts :okay:

Work involves sitting at a desk all day in front of the computer but I try take breaks and walk around a bit or do a quick session on my elliptical trainer. As we've had no rain to speak of for so many weeks we're also regularly walking or cycling down to the allotment to water everything either before or after work.

geocaching.

Sometimes described as "what happens when you tell a nerd to go outside and play". Or "using a billion dollar satellite system to find Tupperware hidden in the woods."
You need a GPS or a smartphone, go on to the geocaching website and download the co-ordinates for the caches near where you are and off you go. You use your GPS to home in on a geocache which has been hidden. Once you find it you log it physically at the cache, there is usually a booklet or roll of paper for this purpose, pick up any travel bugs or first to find coins etc, swap any of the 'swag' in the cache and then on to the next cache. Once you get home you log your 'found its' or 'did not finds' online.
A cache can be a simple one off cache, it can be a multi cache where the first cache gives you clues as to where the next cache is or it can be an earth cache where you find a spot, usually an area of natural beauty or the like and you take your photograph in that spot as proof you found it.
It's a great way of getting some interesting exercise, for me it beats just walking around. And the kids love it.

Here is one that we and the grandkids found.
https://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC6YC4Q_habada1

@Wyshiepoo - geocaching ?? Incidentally - and it's way off-topic - I was in Guernsey 'that night' in October 1987. My wife and I didn't sleep all night with the constant sound of breaking glass. Were you there then?

See reply to Morning Glory re Geocaching.

Yes, remember it very well, I remember driving into St Peter Port, looking out over the Little Russell towards Herm and finding my gob completely smacked when I saw the tree line across the top of Herm, it was like a row of badly broken teeth!

Sometimes described as "what happens when you tell a nerd to go outside and play". Or "using a billion dollar satellite system to find Tupperware hidden in the woods."
You need a GPS or a smartphone, go on to the geocaching website and download the co-ordinates for the caches near where you are and off you go. You use your GPS to home in on a geocache which has been hidden. Once you find it you log it physically at the cache, there is usually a booklet or roll of paper for this purpose, pick up any travel bugs or first to find coins etc, swap any of the 'swag' in the cache and then on to the next cache. Once you get home you log your 'found its' or 'did not finds' online.
A cache can be a simple one off cache, it can be a multi cache where the first cache gives you clues as to where the next cache is or it can be an earth cache where you find a spot, usually an area of natural beauty or the like and you take your photograph in that spot as proof you found it.
It's a great way of getting some interesting exercise, for me it beats just walking around. And the kids love it.

Here is one that we and the grandkids found.
https://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC6YC4Q_habada1

We have been geocaching many times, we took a childs small plastic crocodile to Sydney and posted pics of his holiday.

I walk to and from work every day which is only about 20 mins each way, when the weather is good we go for a walk in the park at lunch time only about 10 minutes,but I have a desk job so I don't move much during the day. I potter around the house in the evening.

Virtually none. I walk to and from the fridge a few times a day and around the snooker table about 100 times on a Friday.

In January this year we visited Wat Khaosala and I ventured up this climb:

05 s.jpg

Even with the handrails my wife had to help me up the last 50 metres. My legs had locked. My wife went back down and brought the pick-up around to carry me up the last two thirds of the hill.

Back
Top Bottom