How much MacDonalds, KFC or other fast foods do you eat? Are you a fast-food junkie?

When I was a young electrician I had to install the wiring for an extractor fan in the back of a kebab restaurant. When I got there an elderly chap was 'preparing' the stack of meat for the skewer by patting and flattening the assorted meats, on the surface of one of the chest freezers in the room, and then layering up the skewer.

As I needed to get access to the top of the walls to drill and fix mini-trunking for the wiring and the chest freezers were in the way the old chap cleared the meat off the first freezer and wiped the greasy surface with a grubby rag and gestured for me to climb up and stand on the freezer top.
I started fitting the mini-trunking. The top of the freezer was covered in my boot prints and drill dust. As I progressed along the freezers the chap kept moving the meat along ahead of me and wiping the grease off the freezer tops.
When he reached the last freezer he picked everything up and transferred back to the first freezer and carried on preparing the meat. He didn't wipe the freezer top so my boot prints and drill dust ended up in the kebab!

I haven't eaten a kebab since.

URGH!!! That's enough to put anyone off them for life!!! I wonder if the punters who ate it noticed the drill dust? :sick:

I gave up on most of the major chain fast food nearly a decade ago and don't miss it.

But I love a hole in the wall, I won't always go back, but I will totally risk it. You never know when you're going to find a gem :)

I'm really trying to lose weight and eat the healthiest diet possible, so I'm avoiding food fast like the plague. I also primarily eat vegan so there isn't a huge range of options available at these types of franchises. However, if I'm going on nothing but taste alone, I do enjoy a Big Mac and fries from McDonalds. Although, I don't even like to admit it!

I try to avoid fast food as much as possible but my husband always insists. I love to stay home and cook while he only likes to go out. Well, he loves my cooking but he likes to "splurge" at McDonalds and Taco Bell. We end up going about once a week even though I say no. And I start to wonder why I am gaining weight. =(

We almost never eat in McDonald. Not a whole meal no. I love their ice cream sundae and don't mind their fish sandwich but that's about it. That being said,I don't eat beef and coming from Asia,It's kinda a bit weird to eat chicken sandwich. Our fast food restaurant comes with rice and mostly we order chicken and rice. The KFC in indo has one hell of a chicken soup. It was fantastic. I tried KFC grilled chicken couple weeks ago here in WI and it's actually pretty good.

I use to be junk food love but not any more. At one point in time I was eating Burgher King for breakfast and lunch. I was eating at KFC just as much as well, in fact most of the staff there knew me and knew exactly what I was having before I even placed my order. Now I just prefer a home cook meal, its better and a lot healthier, I do still eat at both restaurants but not as often as I did back then.

I gave up on most of the major chain fast food nearly a decade ago and don't miss it.

But I love a hole in the wall, I won't always go back, but I will totally risk it. You never know when you're going to find a gem :)

I think you might have to translate that for us Brits. Over here, a hole in the wall is a cash machine (ATM)!

I think you might have to translate that for us Brits. Over here, a hole in the wall is a cash machine (ATM)!

Hee! It means something like your kebab or fish and chip joints. A cheap place with little or no seating, where you buy food at the counter to eat on the go or while staggering home after a few too many :D

Hee! It means something like your kebab or fish and chip joints. A cheap place with little or no seating, where you buy food at the counter to eat on the go or while staggering home after a few too many :D

Ah, thanks, I thought it must be something like that.

"Two nations divided by a common language" as someone or other once said!:D

Avoid it like the plague, actually. I remember when McDonalds first opened in Telford, Shropshire about 30 years ago. Friends used to call around on Saturday nights, and the husbands would go off for a drink while we stayed in with the kids and sampled my home made wine.

They always brought a takeaway back with them - usually a Chinese - but when McDonalds opened, we decided to try it. As a joke, our friend bit into the polystyrene container and said 'I don't think much of this.' As it happened, the container probably had more taste than the burger, and I haven't been tempted since.

I must say I enjoy a pizza and salad at Pizza Hut, but I don't consider that to be fast food, as there's plenty of salad to go at.
When I was in the States, I used to eat a lot of McDonalds. I love the Big Mac, in fact. I also washed it down with a large milkshake. :wink: Now, I'm learning to stay away from stuff like that because of the presence of trans fats and I've found out that they put sugar on the burgers at McDonalds to make you addicted to the them. So, I'm actually avoiding McDonald's and other fast foods now, especially since both sides of my family have histories of heart disease and diabetes.

Fast food will kill any diet and even the salads don't provide much nutrition using primarily iceberg lettuce which has the nutritional value of cardboard.

If you really wish to lose weight and get healthy and don't mind a vegan promoted diet than I would try two books - The Engine 2 Diet by Rip Esselstyn and Forks Over Knives - The Cookbook

Engine 2 gives very good health advice in the beginning and Rip's family has ties with the heart group at the renowned Cleveland Clinic. Both have Facebook pages also. Excellent source to get healthy and stay healthy while enjoying great fresh food.

Back
Top Bottom