How often do you eat dessert?

Ice-cream is one dessert I can do & I sometimes eat it when in a restaurant. But not coffee or chocolate flavours.

Another NOLA treat that I like, that is tasty and good for impressing dinner guests is Bananas Foster. It is a flambé dessert, which is fun to watch. Like bread pudding with Bourbon sauce, it it is not TOO sweet. And, it is really easy to make.

This is a good video. It is true to the original, and exactly how I make it. Did I mention it is easy to make?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLLw-B-OR8U

CD

Another NOLA treat that I like, that is tasty and good for impressing dinner guests is Bananas Foster. It is a flambé dessert, which is fun to watch. Like bread pudding with Bourbon sauce, it it is not TOO sweet. And, it is really easy to make.

This is a good video. It is true to the original, and exactly how I make it. Did I mention it is easy to make?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLLw-B-OR8U

CD
Haha, a shout out to Chef John. His recipes are almost always spot-on and generally not too difficult. His Chicken Kiev recipe is the one I use.

One dessert my wife likes me to make is kind of like BF, but not really (?). I take banana chunks and add them to a sauce made with brown sugar and Guinness and cook them just enough to get the bananas nice and coated, then dump that over vanilla ice cream. Cooked too long, and the bananas go to mush, so you have to keep an eye on it.

Sometimes if we have banana bread, we'll dip it in an egg mix and cook like French toast, then put the banana's Foster mix and ice cream on top. Maybe even sprinkle on some chopped toasted pecans. Talk about decadent!

Sometimes if we have banana bread, we'll dip it in an egg mix and cook like French toast, then put the banana's Foster mix and ice cream on top. Maybe even sprinkle on some chopped toasted pecans. Talk about decadent!

Oooooo, I have had banana bread French toast. I don't remember where, but I remember it was really good.

CD

Extremely rarely - in fact I rarely eat any sweet dishes, cakes etc. I'm definitely a fan of savoury over sweet. In fact, in my experience, this forum seemed to attract cooks who prefer to cook savoury. Its not very often that a dessert recipe is posted.

I think I posted my brûlée? I quite like that now and again. It's my d.i.l faves.

Russ

This is my best and possibly only 'sort of' original dessert recipe: Recipe - Rhubarb and Pomegranate Eton Mess

Ingredients (minus the rhubarb):

Assemblage:

Last edited:
Almost every day. My parents rarely ate dessert when I was a kid due to our macrobiotic/ health fanatic lifestyle and I was always envious of kids who did get dessert so I made a point of having one as an adult every day.
Though not always a fancy dessert. It's usually just some type of custard, a slice of cake or chocolate.

I rarely plan for dessert, which is in diametric opposition to how my wife's family does things. When we have family gatherings, it's expected that there will be pie, cake, or some other form of dessert. What usually happens is that there's enough dessert to feed everyone several times over (like, an average of one pie or cake per person). What happens after that is hilarious: everyone wants someone else to take the leftover desserts home so they don't have to be tempted by them! :laugh:

I've found that it's better for my waistline to not plan on desserts, which means that I end up with dessert maybe once a week or so (usually at family gatherings).

Every so often, when we eat out, someone else at the table will be in the mood for dessert. Usually, there's somewhat of a standard here, so the desserts on offer had better be good ones. But, sometimes, it doesn't really matter if it's just a plain cake or ice cream: they're in the mood, so they order it.

Personally, I have a hard time enjoying desserts: the joy of the taste and the reward that they represent are battling it out with my guilt over how unhealthy it is. I think this keeps me from overdoing it, but I sometimes wish I could just relax and enjoy it more than I do.

Personally, I have a hard time enjoying desserts: the joy of the taste and the reward that they represent are battling it out with my guilt over how unhealthy it is. I think this keeps me from overdoing it, but I sometimes wish I could just relax and enjoy it more than I do.

It depends what else you have eaten. There isn't necessarily anything too bad about a dessert unless its mega calories which usually means is high in fat. Often, a main course can be three times or more the calories of a dessert.

I rarely plan for dessert, which is in diametric opposition to how my wife's family does things. When we have family gatherings, it's expected that there will be pie, cake, or some other form of dessert. What usually happens is that there's enough dessert to feed everyone several times over (like, an average of one pie or cake per person). What happens after that is hilarious: everyone wants someone else to take the leftover desserts home so they don't have to be tempted by them! :laugh:

You just reminded me of holidays at my ex-Mother In-law's house. She knew what everyone's favorite pie was, and made one of each. :eek: They were good, too.

She was a great cook and baker, but it was all rural-Oklahoma food -- high in calories and really high in fats! She could make Paula Deen say, "That's a lot of butter." I could easily gain five pounds at her house for a weekend.

CD

At one of my wife's doc's appointments, her doc said she was overweight and gently suggested cutting calories: "You know, desserts really should be an every-so-often thing, maybe once every two weeks or so."

MrsTasty, looking like Grumpy Cat, immediately replied, "Well, that's not happening." :laugh:

Back
Top Bottom