How to get rice "right"?

I have a rice cooker and regardless of the type of rice I make in it, it rarely comes out fluffy. After several years, I’ve finally decided to donate it, as I have better luck with rice on the cooktop.
What kind? I have a Zojirushi Neurofuzzy and the damn thing works perfectly every time. Also does a great job of hot holding.

My kitchen is so small, I have to leave the room just to change my mind.

That made me laugh. I have a small kitchen too. But what did you mean about not taking the lid off. I boil it with lid off (15-20 mins). Then put lid on and stand it for 5 -10 mins. If you leave the lid on when cooking, then then extra moisture is created so the rice won't be fluffy.

What kind? I have a Zojirushi Neurofuzzy and the damn thing works perfectly every time. Also does a great job of hot holding.
I have this one:

Aroma

I like my rice to be more like a pilaf, where this makes rice that’s always on the sticky side. It’s fine for that, and when I want rice for rice pudding, or my wife wants stickier rice, I use it, but that’s usually not what I’m after.

Here´s some basmati I made a year ago for a lunch . Lemon rice, made by cooking the rice in loads of boiling water (just like pasta) for about 11 minutes:

That made me laugh. I have a small kitchen too. But what did you mean about not taking the lid off. I boil it with lid off (15-20 mins). Then put lid on and stand it for 5 -10 mins. If you leave the lid on when cooking, then then extra moisture is created so the rice won't be fluffy.
Well then the information in the recipe I read was incorrect then. I made rice, just really sticky rice.

Well then the information in the recipe I read was incorrect then. I made rice, just really sticky rice.

Not necessarily - I've seen recipes where the lid is on. I was just saying how I do it really.

Eeek! I've just looked at lots of recipes and the majority say 'lid on' so I am probably wrong. Most say cook for 10 mins once the water is boiling/simmering. A lot of them recommend resting for 5 mins too (some suggest with a cloth covering to absorb steam). Maybe you should simply try resting it in pan the with a cloth over it after cooking?

If there's anyone I trust implicitly, it's Alton Brown.
curiously, I have few pix of "rice doings...."
this is the AB method using Carolina Gold rice, oven grilled/broiled shrimp, pan fried okra.
the grains are separate, there's no sticky to them.
IMG_0854.JPG

To be brutally honest, I wouldn´t trust a machine to sauté ANYTHING to my taste. Maybe I´m just a kitchen control freak, but when I sauté something, it´s ready when I decide, not when the pan decides.

I would suggest that any timings are going to be totally dependent on 1) the variety of rice being used and 2) whether the rice has been pre-processed for quick cooking. So if your rice says cook for 20 minutes, then it will need (roughly) 20 minutes, but if it says 10-12 minutes on the packet, cooking it for 20 minutes is going to result in an overcooked, disintegrating, waterlogged rice that will be heavy and wet, not light and fluffy. So personally I would be ignoring any timings mentioned here and hoping with whatever is on the packet of your rice. How you cook it for that time is up to you.

What is the AB method?
from long ago posts:

This is based on the Alton Brown method for fool-proof rice.

As follows:
Preheat oven - any temperature from 300 - 400'F / 150 - 200'C works

Use an oven-proof pot with a lid.

Bring water to a simmer in the uncovered pot
Add rice
Optionally butter
Pinch of salt to taste
Stir
Continue to heat until the rice/water mix just begins to boil.
Remove pot from stove top, cover, place in oven for time as below.
Remove pot from oven, do not uncover - or peek - allow to stand for 15 minutes.
Remove cover, fluff up using a fork, serve.
Makes a moist fluffy rice.
Water amount can be increased for a wetter creamer version.

Batch Size
Small - two generous portions, no leftovers

120 grams rice
1-2 teaspoons / 5-10 grams butter (optional)
235 grams water
Oven time 15 minutes

Medium - usually 1 to 1.5 servings left over
175 grams rice
1 tablespoon / 15 grams butter (optional)
350 grams water
Oven time 15 minutes

Large - enough for a second meal; left over stir fry, etc.
235 grams rice
2 tablespoon / 30 grams butter (optional)
465 grams water
Oven time 20 minutes

Notes:
Adjust salt amount to taste a use of salted / unsalted butter
Rice brand used is Carolina White Rice - you may need to tweak amounts for other types/brands as rice cultivars do vary

================
not sure why this software insists on adding blank lines to an ascii.txt copy/paste - but I weary of correcting it.

Back
Top Bottom