How to get rice "right"?

2:1 is not entirely right.

if I'm cooking 2 cups of rice, I might use 2.25 cups of water. if I am cooking 3 cups, it might be 3.5 cups. it is not a proportional thing. its why that "knuckle trick" works. this is for my med grain Calrose. but I would use it as my jumping off point for Basmati as well.

Why does rice have to be so damn complicated?

It's not complicated here. Five year olds can use rice cookers (probably far more efficiently than I).

With mine, & others, all that you do is press the lever down.The COOK light will illuminate. When the rice is done, & in quiet surroundings, you can hear the lever flip back up, indicating that the rice is done. I immediately unplug it to stop the cooking. Otherwise the WARM light will illuminate & the cooking won't stop. If I've wated too long for seconds, I just put some of it in a microwave-safe bowl & reheat it in the microwave. :whistling:

Last edited:
I have the same issue with cooking rice, the texture is never right. I get my best results when I do a modified absorption method, 2:1 water to rice, BUT when the water is almost gone I taste the rice and if it's too uncooked I add a bit more water to my heart's desire and keep adding water until it's close to fully cooked 😅

I’m boiling the 🤬 out of some rice!

That's better than mine.
Give it a shot. I used the method in the earlier link I posted, but it boils down to this:

Fill a pan full of water, get it boiling, add some salt. Rinse your brown rice several times until it’s not too cloudy. Dump it in the water, give it a stir, bring it back to the boil, and boil it for 35 minutes, uncovered, stirring every now and again.

Drain it, then set it off the heat and cover it, and let it sit 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork and it’s done.

Back
Top Bottom