How to make a low calorie cookie -- with panade?

madebyyouandi

Local time
6:55 AM
Website
www.youtube.com
When I was a kid there was a show called Remington Steel. In one episode, the man who created the calorie-free chocolate chip cookie was murdered, and all these years later I still think about that cookie. It's the Holy Grail, for me, anyway.

The other day I had some extra "de-watered" yogurt (think Greek yogurt) and on a whim I decided to use it place of butter in a chocolate chip cookie recipe. It was pretty good. Long story short, the tanginess from the yogurt really matches oranges and chocolate chips and I've made a few different batches with the expected cake like texture, but I wanna make it closer to gooey. Replacing the egg whites for yolks only takes me so far -- and adds calories...

I wanted to pick your brains: Hokkaido Milk Bread is made tender and moist without added fat by making a "panade" of milk and flour, basically a thickened paste they fold into the flour with the rest of the liquids. Has anyone here ever used such a method in cakes, cookies or other confections? Any thoughts of what might happen if used in cakes and cookies?

When I was a kid there was a show called Remington Steel. In one episode, the man who created the calorie-free chocolate chip cookie was murdered, and all these years later I still think about that cookie. It's the Holy Grail, for me, anyway.

Remington Steele was the show that first made Pierce Brosnan famous.

That was absolutely no help for your cookies. :D

CD

I would think when you replace butter with yogurt and just use whites that the firmness is going to be effected to the drier side. Adding panade to bring back wetness to get a chewier product seems wrong to me, wet is not the same as chewy, fat will do that, but you never know, it might work. Let us know.

I would think when you replace butter with yogurt and just use whites that the firmness is going to be effected to the drier side. Adding panade to bring back wetness to get a chewier product seems wrong to me, wet is not the same as chewy, fat will do that, but you never know, it might work. Let us know.
Actually, I just used the yolks. The whites had too much water. I haven't used a (what turns out to be a) tangzhong, yet, but I did make a discovery yesterday:

Omit the dairy all together and use only egg yolks. I was genuinly surprised at how good these were. Right now I'm trying to figure out if egg yolk only cookies are a thing or not.

Actually, I just used the yolks. The whites had too much water. I haven't used a (what turns out to be a) tangzhong, yet, but I did make a discovery yesterday:

Omit the dairy all together and use only egg yolks. I was genuinly surprised at how good these were. Right now I'm trying to figure out if egg yolk only cookies are a thing or not.

I will ask my daughter, she spent time in Japan and cooks it as well.

Russ

Keep us posted, did you put the butter back in?

No. My goal is to reduce the calories. I had two of those cookies with my morning coffee and they were still moist and delicious. I'm going to make another batch this evening and let yesterdays sit out for bit to see if they dry out or not. My guess is the fat in the yolks is enough and might be a good trade off between zero fat and with butter.

No. My goal is to reduce the calories. I had two of those cookies with my morning coffee and they were still moist and delicious. I'm going to make another batch this evening and let yesterdays sit out for bit to see if they dry out or not. My guess is the fat in the yolks is enough and might be a good trade off between zero fat and with butter.
A low calorie cookie is against the law in Canada. :D

Back
Top Bottom