How to peel a mango with a pint glass

I can't work out if this is silly or actually quite a handy tip. As it happens, I have a mango sitting in the kitchen (destined to be mixed with rhubarb which is, apparently, a magic combination). So, I'll have to hunt out a beer glass...

I think it could be quite useful. I don't have a suitable glass I don't think... I too shall have to have a look, but I think it is one of those things that could easily be very, very handy and easy if you get the hang of it. It is rather like using a teaspoon for a kiwi fruit and treating it as though it is a hard boiled egg (at which point you are going to tell me you have no idea on what I am going on about)!

I think it could be quite useful. I don't have a suitable glass I don't think... I too shall have to have a look, but I think it is one of those things that could easily be very, very handy and easy if you get the hang of it. It is rather like using a teaspoon for a kiwi fruit and treating it as though it is a hard boiled egg (at which point you are going to tell me you have no idea on what I am going on about)!
On the contrary, I know exactly what you mean!

I thought eating a kiwi with a teaspoon was the only way to do it until I was, I dunno, about 25! It was just how my mum had always given me kiwi. You get more flesh off it than if you peel it with a knife, I find.

I want to try this trick now, will have to pick up a mango when I go shopping. I will report back - has anyone else tried it yet?

I want to try this also, now I will have to go to the store to get a few mangos for the family so we can try this way to peel the fruit. We maybe eating more mango now that we no how to peel it easier.

Well it works quite well! The glass I had was not really a beer glass, more a large tumbler, so the rim was rather thick. Would probably work better with thinner glass.

Me and my mom tried this recently as I was making a mango float (it's a refrigerator cake). She said she saw it online and wanted to try it out. She didn't use a pint glass, though. Just a regular small glass but the results were pretty much the same and she got the mango off easily! Try it out with different types of glasses, I find they work just as well as with the pint glass shown on the video.

I never peel mangoes before eating. I like eating mangoes plus their peel. I understand that the peel is of nutritional value. That is why I do not peel them.

I never peel mangoes before eating. I like eating mangoes plus their peel. I understand that the peel is of nutritional value. That is why I do not peel them.
That's interesting. I never thought of eating the skin. I will try it. I'm sure its true that the skins of most fruits contain a lot of nutrition. Bet no-one's tried eating pineapple skin, though!

I'm definitely going to try this. I cut up two mangos last week for a mango cucumber salad and I used the old crosshatch method. This looks way easier and less wasteful. I was planning on buying two more mangos tomorrow so I'll be giving this method a shot then.

Back
Top Bottom