How To: Thicker Homemade Mayonnaise ?

Local time
5:44 PM
I can make mayonnaise all day long. I use a Mason jar and an immersion blender and voila.

However I want it to come out thicker. I have read and heard that this will acommplih those goals:

1. Add whey from yogurt.
2. Add an extra yolk that has been warmed. (My recipe uses two eggs.)

Okay so - has anyone here tried either of those two suggestions ? If so with what results ?

Or let me know if you have another method that works !

Thanks !

I can make mayonnaise all day long. I use a Mason jar and an immersion blender and voila.

However I want it to come out thicker. I have read and heard that this will acommplih those goals:

1. Add whey from yogurt.
2. Add an extra yolk that has been warmed. (My recipe uses two eggs.)

Okay so - has anyone here tried either of those two suggestions ? If so with what results ?

Or let me know if you have another method that works !

Thanks !
I think TastyReuben makes a lot of homemade mayonnaise. I personally don't make my own but love a yolkier mayo so seems reasonable that would work and be tastier.

I'm looking for the recipe, but a chef friend of mine suggested adding a tsp of water to the mayo to make it thicker.

Its interesting you say that. I've always found that the emulsion just gets thicker and thicker until I have to add a little lemon juice to slacken it. I'm slightly puzzled...

Madison_ Houston, are you simply using oil and egg yolk or are you adding anything else to the original mix?

Its interesting you say that. I've always found that the emulsion just gets thicker and thicker until I have to add a little lemon juice to slacken it. I'm slightly puzzled...

Madison_ Houston, are you simply using oil and egg yolk or are you adding anything else to the original mix?
Why were you making mayonnaise? I thought you strongly dislike it.

Why were you making mayonnaise? I thought you strongly dislike it.

I don't dislike it per se. I have a sort of stomach reaction to it (an intolerance). I make it for others, of course!

I'm wondering what the basic recipe is that Madison_ Houston and TastyReuben are using. I just make it with an egg yolk and vegetable oil. I use a stick blender or I do it by hand with a whisk.

I'm wondering what the basic recipe is that @Madison_ Houston and @TastyReuben are using.
This is the one I use:

Chef John's Homemade Mayonnaise

I also use is recipe for garlic-basil mayonnaise.

The difference with his recipes is that they’re dump recipes - you dump everything in (in order) and go from there, no drizzling in the oil bit by bit, which is tedious.

However, I had a couple of instances where maybe my yolks were a little on the small side, so it was too much oil, and now I put in about 3/4 of that oil, and add a little more at the end, if I need it.

This is the one I use:

The difference with his recipes is that they’re dump recipes - you dump everything in (in order) and go from there, no drizzling in the oil bit by bit, which is tedious.

However, I had a couple of instances where maybe my yolks were a little on the small side, so it was too much oil, and now I put in about 3/4 of that oil, and add a little more at the end, if I need it.
I found this lovely bit in the archives:
Recipe - Garlic-Basil Mayonnaise

This is the one I use:

Ah - I make it by adding the oil gradually. No other ingredients except the yolk. Other ingredients I add at the end (if wanted).

Back
Top Bottom