How To: Thicker Homemade Mayonnaise ?

I don't dislike it per se. I have a sort of stomach reaction to it (an intolerance). I make it for others, of course!

I'm wondering what the basic recipe is that Madison_ Houston and TastyReuben are using. I just make it with an egg yolk and vegetable oil. I use a stick blender or I do it by hand with a whisk.

I don't dislike it per se. I have a sort of stomach reaction to it (an intolerance). I make it for others, of course!

I'm wondering what the basic recipe is that Madison_ Houston and TastyReuben are using. I just make it with an egg yolk and vegetable oil. I use a stick blender or I do it by hand with a whisk.
2 Ea Eggs
1 Ea Egg yolk
¾ Tsp Salt
2 Tsp Mustard
1 Tbs Lemon Juice
2 Cups Canola Oil

Based on what I have read I will warm the extra yolk slightly and reduce the oil slightly. Maybe to 1 1/2 Cups. The next step I will pursue is adding whey to ferment the mayo to give it a longer shelf life.

I have used Chef John's recipe. It is a good starting place but I do not find it thick enough.

I have used Chef John's recipe. It is a good starting place but I do not find it thick enough.
Yeah, that’s what happened to me, maybe twice out of six batches, and then I started holding back on some of the oil.

I don’t know why, but I like the stick blender method over the whisking method (besides the obvious reason of less work) - I think because it almost instantly goes from goop to mayonnaise. One second, goop…next second…mayonnaise! Something about that just tickles me.

Yeah, that’s what happened to me, maybe twice out of six batches, and then I started holding back on some of the oil.

I don’t know why, but I like the stick blender method over the whisking method (besides the obvious reason of less work) - I think because it almost instantly goes from goop to mayonnaise. One second, goop…next second…mayonnaise! Something about that just tickles me.
And besides that, you can use wjole eggs :wink:

If I remember correct, I use around 200-250 ml of oil per egg, some mustard & spices (salt, garlic, chili, whatever)
Egg in narrow bowl with mustard etc. Then put blender in the bowl. Pour oil on top. Switch on blender and pull up slowly and done

Back
Top Bottom