Hushpuppies recipes and tips?

I will say, the buttermilk powder won't work for making creme fraiche. BTDT and it didn't work. When making salad dressings with it, you usually have to cut down on the liquid or up the mayo because it makes a thinner mix than regular buttermilk.

You can order it via Wal-Mart's web site and pick up in store if no grocery carries it locally. You can also order it off Amazon, but it's WAY more expensive that way.

I only do curbside pickup, as I will not go into public places, even with a mask on (except the outdoor parks). The grocery store I use has a free service. I also don't like Amazon and Walmart. But, I will be on the lookout on my grocery store's website to see if they carry the powder. Not really a big deal since I can get it fresh (so far) but if something goes awry with the dairy farms I will have to rethink that.

ConsiderIng what I wrote above earlier, you're going to laugh, but when I was a kid, we all loved leftover cornbread crumbled into a glass of buttermilk, and a healthy dose of black pepper sprinkled on top.
And here I was thinking that buttermilk was something my uncle would drink in front of us just to gross us out.

And here I was thinking that buttermilk was something my uncle would drink in front of us just to gross us out.
Oh no, not at all. Give it a good shake, then just dab your finger on the inside of the lid and taste it. It's got a really bright, fresh taste. Almost citrusy.

Don't do that, though, if it's one of those jugs that's been pushed in the back of your fridge. :)

If there is stuff growing in it and it smells disgusting, don't use it! I personally don't think it tastes good straight when it's fresh, either, though. Great for cooking.

Now I am wondering if I can freeze them after I cook them or freeze the unused batter for another day? I only want maybe 2-3 and my hubby about the same.

I usually make a half recipe and between the 2 of us, they are mostly eaten, so never tried to freeze.

Now I am wondering if I can freeze them after I cook them or freeze the unused batter for another day? I only want maybe 2-3 and my hubby about the same.
If it were me, I'd make them then freeze them. It's a batter, so I'm thinking, what else is a batter?...pancakes! And pancakes, I'd make and freeze. I wouldn't freeze the batter.

Actually, REAL buttermilk isn't bad at all. What they sell in the grocery store now isn't real buttermilk. It's artificially cultured milk. Real buttermilk is what was left over after you made butter from whole fresh milk that still had the cream in it. My grandmother made butter with an old fashioned churn. I can remember seeing it in her kitchen as a small child., along with the old fashioned milk jugs! And she also sold milk and cream from the cows and eggs from the chickens. We made butter in 4H at county fairs as a child and would give out samples of the butter on crackers along with samples of the buttermilk.

If it were me, I'd make them then freeze them. It's a batter, so I'm thinking, what else is a batter?...pancakes! And pancakes, I'd make and freeze. I wouldn't freeze the batter.
When you reheat pancakes, do you do it in the microwave, pan, toaster oven, etc.? I don't want anything I reheat to turn into rubber or be dried out. I am afraid that hushpuppies might turn into lead weights after being frozen. Guess I will find out.

Ok I've heard of but never made hush puppies. They are a shoe here btw.
I have buttermilk here. So what's the correct mixture and where's the flavour come from, I take it they are deep fried?

Russ
They're also a shoe here, just don't get confused between the two or you'll burn your feet. :)

Yes, they're deep-fried. For the right proportions, follow that recipe medtran49 posted above. It's more than just buttermilk and cornbread. The main flavor, to me anyway, is onion - it's like an onion-flavored deep-fried hunk of cornbread.

My grandmother made butter with an old fashioned churn.

I was just talking to someone a few days ago about how supermarket buttermilk isn't like buttermilk from the farm.

Anyway, we churned butter when I was a kid. Guess where Mom (and her mom as well) kept the churn? The bathroom! That's right, while you were sitting there doing your business, you were expected to work the dasher!

When you reheat pancakes, do you do it in the microwave, pan, toaster oven, etc.? I don't want anything I reheat to turn into rubber or be dried out. I am afraid that hushpuppies might turn into lead weights after being frozen. Guess I will find out.
I don't have a toaster oven, so if I'm not in a hurry, I do it in the regular oven, 375F for maybe eight minutes or so, depending on the pancake. If I'm in a hurry, then it's the microwave. Make no mistake, though, reheated pancakes (and hushpuppies) aren't going to be as good as when they're fresh.

Oh my. Those hushpuppies were the BEST hushpuppies I have ever eaten, and I have eaten many hushpuppies in my lifetime

! Light, fluffy, and just wonderful! When my eyes opened wide and I grinned happily after taking the first bite, it made my husband super happy, because whenever I like my own cooking this much he KNOWS it's going to be awesome!View attachment 41221

Last edited:
So I did a cursory search for hushpuppies and found mention of them but I don't see any recipes.

You are right - we don't seem to have a recipe here. They are virtually unheard of in the UK by the way. Say hush puppies to a UK person and they will think you mean a particular famous brand of shoes (as has been mentioned above)

medtran49 - as you have made these and photographed them you could put the recipe up as a new Recipe thread, so that its searchable. Or if you like I could copy (not move) your post to a new Recipe thread and add the recipe. It would be good to have a tried and tested recipe easily searchable on the Forum.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom