Hushpuppies recipes and tips?

Yea, we have hushpuppy shoes in the US as well.

I actually went with the Jiffy cornbread mix and used a slightly different recipe, but I used buttermilk as suggested and also brown sugar, along with scallions from my garden.

I don't think buttermilk is used very much in the UK in general - I know you can get it in some supermarkets, but its not the easiest thing to find :(

I don't think buttermilk is used very much in the UK in general - I know you can get it in some supermarkets, but its not the easiest thing to find :(

Its true - its very much an American key ingredient rather than a British one. Of course, its possible to make it yourself if you make some home-made butter (which is very simple). Two products for the price of one:

Recipe - Home-made butter

Well it's also a cultured dairy product, which is probably why it is so good for marinating chicken before frying.

Well it's also a cultured dairy product, which is probably why it is so good for marinating chicken before frying.

Also great for soaking onion rings, straws and loaves before frying. I now let chicken rest after coating, before frying. It makes a big difference in how crispy the coating is. I learned this when making this:

Recipe - Dipped Fried Chicken

Oh interesting. No, I have never heard of doing that. We don't have that restaurant around here.

I've never heard of hush puppies in a food context.

Buttermilk is used a lot here, especially for making soda bread and wheaten bread. It's quite widely available in supermarkets, although maybe not so much now at present.

Back
Top Bottom