I am tired

One of the reasons El Al is still the safest airline to fly on is because wherever they take off from security starts in the airport before you would recognize it. Undercover agents mingle and watch. They are trained in only one thing, threat recognition. They do not have to detain. They do not look like the stereotypical TV Mossad agent. I have said enough.

Yes, I was flying TAP but I'm sure there were air marshals on the plane.

My best friend has a major fear of flying. If he wants/needs to go 1,000 miles for some reason, he drives. He will do a ten hour drive instead of a two hour flight. I don't know why he does that, or even how he does that. But, he doesn't know how I get on a plane about 100 times a year.

CD

I'm the same. I haven't been on a plane for 40 years and don't intend to. When my workplace held a working trip to Amsterdam, I had to take a train to London then to Harwich, get on the ferry and then train to Amsterdam. Same with a work trip to Belfast. Train up to Scotland then ferry. It took hours! Everyone else went by plane.

I'm sure there were air marshals on the plane.
Into Israel certainly. They are quite easy to spot. They are seated with their jacket or top coat done up. There only luggage is usually a carry on hold all.

Maybe I'm weird, but I think the only thing I'm really tired of is not being able to go to a movie theater. Every state I've been through since this started - 8 in total - have shut down their theaters. I understand that theaters in the northern part of my state are open now, but that's at least a 3 hour drive away.

I have been able to find places that are open for safe indoor dining, and some good ones at that. But, I'm saddened by the number of places that closed down and never reopened.

Mentions of the TSA reminded me of how Americans have adjusted their travel expectations since 9/11, Before that, I would often wait until just before my fight left to board the plane. Now, I know I need to account for the time it takes to go through security. In the same way, I have adapted to wearing masks and spraying everything obsessively after I touch anything outside my house.

This doesn't mean I am okay with masks. I had to do three months of physical therapy after slipping and falling in late February. I started in mid-March, and wore a mask the whole time. Not fun.

I also miss seeing my coworkers. Even when we were in the same building, we would usually message each other just to save the time it took to talk to each other in person. I miss those walks now.

We had to clear out the contents of our desks this past week. We were told previously to keep on working remotely unless we had some core business need to go in person. It sounds like Ford is going to close many office buildings, and mostly just keep the garages and labs. No need to keep on paying for space that no one's using.

Our building normally has about 500 people in it, but it was completely empty when I went in to clear out my desk. I walked around, hoping to see someone, but there was no one there. I would seriously have wanted to talk to the most annoying person in the building that day, just to talk to someone who's not immediate family (or a worker at a pharmacy or grocery store).

Hmm...I guess movie theaters aren't the only things I miss!

Portugal had its first quarantine back in March (one day before my birthday! Yay!) At that time I was fully convinced it would take us only a month or two to deal with this and I didn't even understand why were people whining and complaining and refusing to wear a mask, we'd only be doing this sacrifice for a bit and then it's over! Also I'm a pretty much a homebody, of course I like going some places but I don't mind staying home at all, I was working from home but since I wasn't commuting or doing anything on weekends I was enjoying the extra free time to read a lot.

Now it's clear that this will take more than a month or two and I feel fed up. The biggest sign that I'm growing antsy is that I can't even focus on reading. I was reading 5 books per month in the beginning of quarantine and now I'm lucky if I read 3. And I start to feel like I'm wasting my time. It's been 6 months of this and I could have spent those 6 months going out and meeting new people and taking dance lessons and I didn't even celebrate my 29th birthday will I celebrate my 30? (My bday is on St Patrick's day!)

By the way, I don't know how it was like in other countries, but back in March portuguese people were panic buying a lot of stuff, like dry yeast, and toilet paper, and going to the supermarket was an incredibly sad and stressful experience with empty shelves and people arguing for stuff. To me, it contributed to making me tired of cooking, shopping wasn't a pleasant experience and some ingredients were often sold out.

On a side note, my mom flew from Paris (Charles de Gaulle) to Lisbon just as they were implementing the new security procedures after 9/11, and the airport was chaos, security was taking a lot of time and she says the airport staff weren't used to the procedures yet.

Now, let's take one moment to enjoy the small, beautiful things 2020 is giving us: after decades on air The Kardashians show is finally ending :D (Please take this as a joke only. It's a perfectly reasonable show when you want to watch something light that doesn't require much thinking. And the Kardashian mom is a very savvy businesswoman).

Maybe I'm weird, but I think the only thing I'm really tired of is not being able to go to a movie theater. Every state I've been through since this started - 8 in total - have shut down their theaters. I understand that theaters in the northern part of my state are open now, but that's at least a 3 hour drive away.

I have been able to find places that are open for safe indoor dining, and some good ones at that. But, I'm saddened by the number of places that closed down and never reopened.

Mentions of the TSA reminded me of how Americans have adjusted their travel expectations since 9/11, Before that, I would often wait until just before my fight left to board the plane. Now, I know I need to account for the time it takes to go through security. In the same way, I have adapted to wearing masks and spraying everything obsessively after I touch anything outside my house.

This doesn't mean I am okay with masks. I had to do three months of physical therapy after slipping and falling in late February. I started in mid-March, and wore a mask the whole time. Not fun.

I also miss seeing my coworkers. Even when we were in the same building, we would usually message each other just to save the time it took to talk to each other in person. I miss those walks now.

We had to clear out the contents of our desks this past week. We were told previously to keep on working remotely unless we had some core business need to go in person. It sounds like Ford is going to close many office buildings, and mostly just keep the garages and labs. No need to keep on paying for space that no one's using.

Our building normally has about 500 people in it, but it was completely empty when I went in to clear out my desk. I walked around, hoping to see someone, but there was no one there. I would seriously have wanted to talk to the most annoying person in the building that day, just to talk to someone who's not immediate family (or a worker at a pharmacy or grocery store).

Hmm...I guess movie theaters aren't the only things I miss!

Things sure are crazy in your country, just been watching the fires and devastation . The worlds gone mad.

Russ

Portugal had its first quarantine back in March (one day before my birthday! Yay!) At that time I was fully convinced it would take us only a month or two to deal with this and I didn't even understand why were people whining and complaining and refusing to wear a mask, we'd only be doing this sacrifice for a bit and then it's over! Also I'm a pretty much a homebody, of course I like going some places but I don't mind staying home at all, I was working from home but since I wasn't commuting or doing anything on weekends I was enjoying the extra free time to read a lot.

Now it's clear that this will take more than a month or two and I feel fed up. The biggest sign that I'm growing antsy is that I can't even focus on reading. I was reading 5 books per month in the beginning of quarantine and now I'm lucky if I read 3. And I start to feel like I'm wasting my time. It's been 6 months of this and I could have spent those 6 months going out and meeting new people and taking dance lessons and I didn't even celebrate my 29th birthday will I celebrate my 30? (My bday is on St Patrick's day!)

By the way, I don't know how it was like in other countries, but back in March portuguese people were panic buying a lot of stuff, like dry yeast, and toilet paper, and going to the supermarket was an incredibly sad and stressful experience with empty shelves and people arguing for stuff. To me, it contributed to making me tired of cooking, shopping wasn't a pleasant experience and some ingredients were often sold out.

On a side note, my mom flew from Paris (Charles de Gaulle) to Lisbon just as they were implementing the new security procedures after 9/11, and the airport was chaos, security was taking a lot of time and she says the airport staff weren't used to the procedures yet.

Now, let's take one moment to enjoy the small, beautiful things 2020 is giving us: after decades on air The Kardashians show is finally ending :D (Please take this as a joke only. It's a perfectly reasonable show when you want to watch something light that doesn't require much thinking. And the Kardashian mom is a very savvy businesswoman).

Neither my wife or I have never watched a programme ever! Same with g.o.t

Russ

Some excellent points!

1) same story here about reading! 😕 I started reading a lot in April, but that fell away. Thanks for the reminder...I will have to get back to that.

2) people were panic buying here, too.

3) I want to use a certain word regarding the Kardashians, but this is a polite forum. I don’t waste energy hating them, but they do annoy the **** out of me. <— hey, those are just a bunch of asterisks! Maybe I will raise a glass to celebrate their last episode. Thank you for that happy thought.

Back
Top Bottom