I am tired

The reason detre of the BBC is, they do not have to pander to advertisers and manufacture dribble for the great unwashed. I have never exposed myself to the prog or sex tape.
"Months before the show’s premiere, a leaked sex tape of Kim and her ex-boyfriend, singer Ray J, appeared online. Subsequent allegations that the footage was leaked deliberately to drive up interest in the Kardashian name have been strenuously denied." A very savvy sociopath mum.
Here we do not watch progs as they are broadcast, we have 40 hrs of recording space. We record faves and progs of interest then fast forward through the breaks. Keeping Up With the Kardashians to end next year after 20th season

Ah - of course. I haven't seen it. Nor do I want to.
Ditto, it is one of the reason we only visit Dubrovnik in the summer season. 8/10 cruise ships in the harbor all selling this type of excursion . It's bad enough being stopped and ask where is Mcdonalds ( there isn't one), then they wail where is there a safe toilet. Game of Thrones filming locations in Croatia

Last edited:
Ditto, it is one of the reason we only visit Dubrovnik in the summer season. 8/10 cruise ships in the harbor all selling this type of excursion Game of Thrones filming locations in Croatia

I've seen the pics, it's horrible. Tourism is such a delicate balancing act. It has a major potential to drive economic growth but too much of it and you rip places of their soul and drive the locals out.

drive the locals out.
With tourism being about 70% of the GDP in Croatia, Croatians are very appreciative of the tourist chickens. Their skill at plucking them is legendary. In a normal year everything return to normal from September to May. Unlike the Algarve we have very little winter tourism. Our neighbor inherited the house next door to us. She had it converted to 4 luxury apartments. Out of season she lives in the Penthouse, in season she moves back to their village. When full with 14/18 guests she gets an average of 800/1000 euro a night. Out of season she returns with her daughter, we can use the pool if we want.

Overtourism started hitting Lisbon real hard 4 or 5 years ago. Housing prices are through the ceiling, the portuguese can't live in the center of the city anymore. In a country where minimum wage is around 600€ and average salaries 1.200€ the average person can't rent a one bedroom apartment for 1.000€ in the center of the city. And because people are bring driven to the outskirts of the city house prices in the suburbs are crazy as well. 8 years ago when I moved out of my parent's home you could find 1 bedroom apartments in Lisbon (outside of the city center) for 350€ now the same houses are renting for 700€ often much more. And our salaries haven't doubled 😭

I am incredibly fortunate that I was able to find houses within my economic means these last years. I am now on a government program that has low rent housing for young people, in my city there only 19 houses available in the program last year. I loved my old house but the landlord wanted to sell and I was fortunate to find this place.

Note that I don't blame landlords...if I was a home owner and I could rent my house for 2k/month I would prefer the 2k/month instead of 600€ everything else being equal, and if I had a restaurant and I could charge tourists 30% more than I charge locals I would be catering to tourists not locals. It's just a really hard balance to find.

average salaries
The average salary in Croatia is around 600 euro a month. If we go into a restaurant in Split in season that we are not known in. My wife orders and we get the local rate and quality. We know the tourist traps. They only open for the season, those that open throughout the year have to be very careful not to offend their life blood. This May interest you, it compares the cost of living in Dubrovnik with Lisbon. I will post Split/Lisbon below. Cost of Living Comparison Between Dubrovnik, Croatia And Lisbon, Portugal

Back
Top Bottom