I Can't Get Anything Done (Scatterbrained)

TastyReuben

Nosh 'n' Splosh
Staff member
Local time
10:02 AM
This is why I can't get anything done:

I sat down this morning to make a grocery list for a picnic we're doing on Friday.

I needed to look up the proper spelling of those pickled Italian veggies (giardiniera), so I opened my browser on my work computer.

That automatically displays our company's employee page, and there's a daily online poll that I always take, so I did that.

Then, when the screen repainted, it highlighted a company news story I wanted to read. Did that.

Then I remembered I needed to check ingredients for a specialty focaccia I'm doing, so I went out to that.

That led me into the kitchen to check that I had enough olive oil.

While there, I remembered I needed to grab a printed recipe I have for olive oil cake and set that out. Grabbed the folder and walked back into the living room.

Back to my grocery list, I did need olive oil, but I'd just read an article about recommendations for different oils, looked that up, wrote down a couple to look for.

Remembered that I was originally looking for how to spell giardiniera, so went to look that up again, pulled up my browser, which was still on the olive oil page, which reminded me of the olive oil cake recipe, went into the kitchen to get the folder, remembered that I'd already done that, then back in the living room, got out the recipe, started making my list and...

...I still hadn't looked up the correct spelling of those damn pickled veggies! :heat:

When the stakes are relatively low, this kind of thing is a great source of amusement. I had a scattered day yesterday, too, but I had a lot that I needed to get done:
  • Finish the paperwork to get VA reimbursement for my father-in-law's burial expenses (he died 2 weeks ago). This required a phone call (and a very long hold time) with the VA, but the lady I spoke to was professional and very helpful.
  • Drop off a deposit at a driving school so my daughter can take a driving test (and maybe pass and get her license this time).
  • Get a copy of our house key made, because my wife lost hers that morning.
  • Pick up a prescription at the pharmacy. My wife picked it up without telling me. Oops.
  • Also remember to get - something - that my mother-in-law needed because she was diagnosed with leukemia (it was folic acid, which I remembered when I saw it on the shelf, but she and my wife weren't answering the phone when I tried to call).
  • Get stamps to mail out thank you cards for both my daughter's graduation party and my father-in-law's funeral.
  • And, oh yeah...I do have a job I'm supposed to be doing for ~9 hours today.
To make things more fun, it was raining off-and-on, and there was an accident on the freeway that slowed everything down. Luckily, no one appeared to be hurt.

I did get all of the above finished yesterday (except for the stamps...the post office was closed). I finished things off by taking the dogs out for a walk with my wife; we picked up a 6 pack on the way back, and we enjoyed some cold refreshments later. I actually like it when I have a billion things to do, and I get it all done, particularly when it ends like that.

Well it sounds like your day was better than mine. I blitzed 2kg of apples I purchased a couple of weeks ago, to make apple butter, but then forgot about them in the oven. What should have been roughly 8 jars of apple butter was only 2. Still at $1.99/kg that's still fairly cheap even if it's more like apple toffee than apple butter.

20190731_173552.jpg

Wait until you retire. Before you know it, it's Noon, and you haven't gotten dressed or showered. I'm still tracking a package from China every hour. Lol

Wait until you retire. Before you know it, it's Noon, and you haven't gotten dressed or showered. Lol
I'll tell you, the way I was raised, up by 6AM, fully cleaned up and dressed and ready to meet the world before being allowed breakfast or anything...I doubt that will ever change. It's too ingrained.

I work from home most of the time, and I could be in that mode now, but as soon as I get up, I have to get a shower and get dressed, or I start getting low-level anxiety going on.

My wife, however, raised completely differently, and she works from home as well, and sets her own hours, so yeah, there are days where it'll be 4PM, and I'll say, "I've got to run into town and get some dog food and milk, want to come along?" - she'll say, "No...it's so late in the day, I don't see any point to getting dressed!"

To me, that's just...:headshake:

Yeah. I was a lot like you. Give it time. Lol

This is why I can't get anything done:

I sat down this morning to make a grocery list for a picnic we're doing on Friday.

I needed to look up the proper spelling of those pickled Italian veggies (giardiniera), so I opened my browser on my work computer.

That automatically displays our company's employee page, and there's a daily online poll that I always take, so I did that.

Then, when the screen repainted, it highlighted a company news story I wanted to read. Did that.

Then I remembered I needed to check ingredients for a specialty focaccia I'm doing, so I went out to that.

That led me into the kitchen to check that I had enough olive oil.

While there, I remembered I needed to grab a printed recipe I have for olive oil cake and set that out. Grabbed the folder and walked back into the living room.

Back to my grocery list, I did need olive oil, but I'd just read an article about recommendations for different oils, looked that up, wrote down a couple to look for.

Remembered that I was originally looking for how to spell giardiniera, so went to look that up again, pulled up my browser, which was still on the olive oil page, which reminded me of the olive oil cake recipe, went into the kitchen to get the folder, remembered that I'd already done that, then back in the living room, got out the recipe, started making my list and...

...I still hadn't looked up the correct spelling of those damn pickled veggies! :heat:
Just lol'd out loud - I couldn't help it..! I'm so sorry....! :p:

I'll tell you, the way I was raised, up by 6AM, fully cleaned up and dressed and ready to meet the world before being allowed breakfast or anything...I doubt that will ever change. It's too ingrained.

I work from home most of the time, and I could be in that mode now, but as soon as I get up, I have to get a shower and get dressed, or I start getting low-level anxiety going on.

My wife, however, raised completely differently, and she works from home as well, and sets her own hours, so yeah, there are days where it'll be 4PM, and I'll say, "I've got to run into town and get some dog food and milk, want to come along?" - she'll say, "No...it's so late in the day, I don't see any point to getting dressed!"

To me, that's just...:headshake:

Yeah I was like you, early up, late home, 12 hour days, just to get ahead. Semiretired now, so I get up when I like. Wife's still full time.

Russ

Yeah I was like you, early up, late home, 12 hour days, just to get ahead. Semiretired now, so I get up when I like. Wife's still full time.

Russ
I still have a scar on the back of my hand where my dad whacked it with a froe - his way of waking me up to tell me we had shingles to cut that day.

After 19 years of that kind of "alarm clock"...trust me, I don't sleep past 6AM unless I'm deathly sick. :blackeye:

I still have a scar on the back of my hand where my dad whacked it with a froe - his way of waking me up to tell me we had shingles to cut that day.

After 19 years of that kind of "alarm clock"...trust me, I don't sleep past 6AM unless I'm deathly sick. :blackeye:

Never had a dad growing up, but my mum was up at 5am. Every day til she died. I got my work ethic off her, my kids get theirs from me as well. I recently had to get up,at 5am to,catch a flight, it wasn't easy,lol.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom