I have a pork roast and a slow cooker....now what?

Alunny

Veteran
Local time
2:16 AM
Website
www.jades-world.com
I have a pork forequarter roast and a slow cooker. I have basically every vegetable/sauce/etc... so I just kind of want to know what to do with it to get a delicious pork meal out of it!

I NEED it to be juicy. I tried a beef blade roast in there and it was dry even though it looked good and delicious as it pulled away. I'm not really interested in soup - I want it to be a bit roasty or with marinade or sauce around/on it.

Anyone know any good recipes to help me out? :D Would love something with honey in it!

A lot of times, I will put a pork roast in the slow cooker and just add about a cup or so of water, then season with whatever seasonings sound good that day. Then, I'll top it with carrots, potatoes, and onions and cook it on low all day. It always turns out nice and juicy. Lately, I've been using The Pioneer Woman's Spicy Dr. Pepper Shredded Roast recipe:

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2011/03/spicy-dr-pepper-shredded-pork/

She cooks it in the oven but I've done it in the slow cooker too. This recipe is a favorite in my house, and usually makes enough that I can freeze half of it for a meal some other time.

You can definitely slow com it. If you want to cook T in a sauce that will keep it moist, otherwise I would suggest putting some water in with my so it will not get dry. I like roasts with just salt and pepper, but you can season s pork roast any way you like pork.

A lot of times, I will put a pork roast in the slow cooker and just add about a cup or so of water, then season with whatever seasonings sound good that day. Then, I'll top it with carrots, potatoes, and onions and cook it on low all day. It always turns out nice and juicy. Lately, I've been using The Pioneer Woman's Spicy Dr. Pepper Shredded Roast recipe:

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2011/03/spicy-dr-pepper-shredded-pork/

She cooks it in the oven but I've done it in the slow cooker too. This recipe is a favorite in my house, and usually makes enough that I can freeze half of it for a meal some other time.

Ooh, I think I saw this episode. I'm not so much into spicy, but dr pepper would be a nice touch. I've been looking for a good slow cooker recipe, since it's getting warmer, and I don't want to use the oven as much, so this will be perfect. I usually add potatoes and carrots, as well as turnip, occasionally, since that's a favorite of mine.

It doesn't come out too spicy, in my opinion. I think adding the Dr. Pepper helps cut some of that, but it does have just a little kick from the chipotles. We usually shred it and eat it on buns as a pulled pork sandwich, but sometimes we'll slice up an avocado and put it on corn tortillas and have pulled pork tacos instead.

It doesn't come out too spicy, in my opinion. I think adding the Dr. Pepper helps cut some of that, but it does have just a little kick from the chipotles. We usually shred it and eat it on buns as a pulled pork sandwich, but sometimes we'll slice up an avocado and put it on corn tortillas and have pulled pork tacos instead.

Oh that sounds so good. As long as it's not too spicy it'd probably be o.k. I have an ulcer, so have to watch spicy foods. I usually buy my salsa mild, or medium, at most. And, I'd add some of that (salsa verde, of course) on those pulled pork tacos, yum!

I have done two flavourings on slow cooked pork lately
Rosemary garlic and lemon
And
Chilli , coriander and lemon grass
I just put a trivet of veg in the base and a little water and just keep on the low setting till falls away

One item we try to keep in the pantry is the onion soup mix that can be used to season a variety of foods. I would put the roast and the soup mix into the slow cooker with some water not much and let it cook slow, about half way thru the cooking time turn the meat over in the slow cooker simple but good.

I have a friend who does a pulled pork using coca cola, garlic, minced onions, barbecue sauce and liquid smoke. It's really moist and lots of good flavour.

Our pork roast recipe is the simple garlic, vinegar, soy sauce and sugar mix. If you would notice, it is a barbecue flavor. Crush the garlic very well then put it in a half cup of vinegar with 3 tablespoon of soy sauce and a tablespoon of sugar. Stir the mixture until the sugar is dissolved. Marinate the pork in the mixture for at least 2 hours. Bake it in the slow cooker for 2 hours and you will get the juiciest pork roast in town. Just be sure to harvest it on time when the pork is reddish brown.

If you've got the time, you could brine the pork before putting it into the slow cooker. You may want to cut it down into two or three parts though to brine more evenly depending on the size. I'm not normally a fan of brining personally, especially with chicken, but pork holds up rather well with it.

Honestly, what I've often been doing these days (in my pressure cooker, but it would work in a slow cooker too), is just simply throwing the pork roast in with a jar of Heinz pork gravy for about an hour and a half or so (or several hours in a slow cooker). The roast will give off a lot of juices which will thin out the gravy quite a bit, so there is no need to add any water to the gravy out of the jar even if it seems thick at first. You could also add more salt and pepper to taste if you choose. I cook any veggies separately, since they would become too mushy if I threw them in with the roast.

You could also try mixing up a Mojo marinade, which is basically a blend of orange and lime juice, along with garlic, onion and spices. Then slow cook the roast in that, and then cut it into large chunks and toss it under a broiler to crisp up the exterior for some Carnitas.

Back
Top Bottom