I want to make bread!

Puggles

Veteran
Local time
12:14 PM
I wanted to make bread so I bought a bread machine off Amazon, it's awesome and I really like it. I got some highly rated bread machine beer bread mixes and they are ok, but to me, they resemble cornbread more than they do bread. I got three different kinds of beer to try them with and they all tasted literally the exact same (You couldn't even taste anything that resembles beer/hops). The bread was sweeter rather than a nice "authentic, quality, fresh" bread flavor (That's what I'm looking for). This premix stuff that I got didn't even need to sit for the dough to rise or proof or anything. When I realized that, I knew it wasn't going to be what I wanted, but I still made it anyway. Just mix with your favorite beer and put in the oven (or bread machine). Does anyone know of a bread machine mix or recipe that will give me what I'm looking for? I thought that yeast was a part of this? I want that fresh, yeasty, delicious hoppy beer bread flavor that I remember from 20 years ago when I last did this.

p.s. I thought that the dome of the loaf was going to have a nice "solid" crusty like texture, but the entire loaf (each time) was like a loaf of cornbread, the exact same texture throughout the entire loaf. Help!

I wanted to make bread so I bought a bread machine off Amazon, it's awesome and I really like it. I got some highly rated bread machine beer bread mixes and they are ok, but to me, they resemble cornbread more than they do bread. I got three different kinds of beer to try them with and they all tasted literally the exact same (You couldn't even taste anything that resembles beer/hops). The bread was sweeter rather than a nice "authentic, quality, fresh" bread flavor (That's what I'm looking for). This premix stuff that I got didn't even need to sit for the dough to rise or proof or anything. When I realized that, I knew it wasn't going to be what I wanted, but I still made it anyway. Just mix with your favorite beer and put in the oven (or bread machine). Does anyone know of a bread machine mix or recipe that will give me what I'm looking for? I thought that yeast was a part of this? I want that fresh, yeasty, delicious hoppy beer bread flavor that I remember from 20 years ago when I last did this.

p.s. I thought that the dome of the loaf was going to have a nice "solid" crusty like texture, but the entire loaf (each time) was like a loaf of cornbread, the exact same texture throughout the entire loaf. Help!
I don't know if this will give you the hoppy flavor you're looking for (maybe use a Bell's Two-Hearted Ale?), as it doesn't call for much beer (3oz), but it will yield a pleasantly sour bread that's not like cornbread at all.

It's a variation of a no-knead bread, so no bread machine required, and if you don't have a Dutch oven, really any kind of oven safe pan with some sort of lid will work. My niece makes this as a half-recipe, in a standard loaf pan, with another loaf pan on top, for example:

Cook’s Illustrated Almost No Knead Bread

If it didn't require rising time, it was a quick bread that used baking soda and/or baking powder for leavening, thus, the texture you got.

I've got a recipe at home for a decent beer bread that I'll post later.

Question :- the difference between beer bread and the bread I make, am I right to say you replace the water for beer, otherwise it's the same?

Question :- the difference between beer bread and the bread I make, am I right to say you replace the water for beer, otherwise it's the same?

That would be the case, yes. Below is a dark rye I made with Guinness and another with Bud Light of all things - these breads are quite dense using rye flour etc. But its quite possible to make a lighter bread with beer. Use all white flour and replace water with beer. Simple!

Recipe - Rye bread with carrots, caraway and Guinness
Recipe - Bud Light Bread (one rise method)

if you want real bread, dump the bread machine.

if you dislike kneading, get mixer.
the rest is flour, water, yeast and salt.
yes . . . it's actually that simple.

technique is a big player - bread machines have some number of pre-programed "techniques" - and all those "bread machine recipes" are simply bxstxrdized attempts at 'the real thing'- most don't work.

if you dislike kneading, get mixer.
the rest is flour, water, yeast and salt.
yes . . . it's actually that simple.

technique is a big player - bread machines have some number of pre-programed "techniques" - and all those "bread machine recipes" are simply bxstxrdized attempts at 'the real thing'- most don't work.

The best bread I ever had was made in a machine. It broke and my wife doesn't want another one. Maybe I could hide it in the garage??

Russ

if you want real bread,
How do you define "real bread"
Bread machines are extra useful if they have Jam and Chutney settings. All our real pizza dough is made in the machine. When I had a "mother" in the UK this is how I made sourdough. Note the 8 hour bulk fermentation. If you know what you are doing they are an excellent tool.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4K06rLRs6o&ab_channel=Food%27sWay

Not sure about this. I do much prefer to make bread by hand but I do have a bread-maker (it was a gift). I haven't used it for a long time simply because I like to get my hands into the dough and, as you say, bread is very simple to make. The times I have used it the results were fine although it had the limitation of the bread being one particular shape.

If you don't like hand mixing, you can do a no knead bread. Essentially you make a dough with just a bit of yeast and let is sit for awhile. The Gluten will develop naturally on its own. Oftentimes they will be high hydration, but this is not completely necessary as given enough time, all doughs will hydrate fully.

That being said if you want a beer like bread that is yeasty, then I would search for any standard yeasted bread recipe and replace some of the water with beer.

As I have learned, have a rinse bowl filled with warm water on the table, nearby, to wash your hands and possibly some dishes etc. of the sticky dough, on the spot.

Not sure about this. I do much prefer to make bread by hand but I do have a bread-maker (it was a gift). I haven't used it for a long time simply because I like to get my hands into the dough and, as you say, bread is very simple to make. The times I have used it the results were fine although it had the limitation of the bread being one particular shape.
Morning Morning, this poolish mix was made in the bread machine. I took the dough out and put it in the shape basket to prove again.
1609309459094.png
1609309491791.png
1609309512811.png

Back
Top Bottom