Recipe Iberico Ham Croquettes

victor_nf

Local time
4:36 PM
Hi all. Here's my first recipe in the blog. Spanish Iberico Ham croquettes is a fantastic idea for tapas at home. I've to say that everyone has their own recipe in Spain. I am based on Boston MA and here's mine.

INGREDIENTS​

• 1 onion
  • 1/2 pound iberico ham chopped
  • 4 oz. butter
  • 14 oz. iberico ham broth
  • 20 oz. milk
  • 1 cup flour
  • pinch of salt
  • pinch of nutmeg
  • olive oil (for deep frying)
  • eggs (for breading)
  • breadcrumbs (for breading)

PREPARATION​

1. Melt the butter in a saucepan and sauté onion finely chopped and iberico ham for about 5 minutes at low-medium temperature
  2. Meanwhile, heat milk, cream and iberico ham bones (if have it) to warm both liquids (we need these two liquids warm to make the béchamel). DO NOT BOIL.
  3. Add the flour to the saucepan slowly with the onion and iberico ham, and stir everything with a wood spoon until the flour is well mixed. The flour needs to get fried enough.
  4. Add the milk/cream mix, little by little, to the saucepan, stirring constantly. Don't stop until a thin cream is being visible.
  5. Stir for about 10 minutes in a medium-low temperature ( we can't stop stirring during these 10 minutes)
  6. Add pinch of salt (usually it doesn't need too much because of the iberico ham is cured with salt) and pinch of nutmeg.
  7. Poured bechamel into a glass tray, cover with plastic wrap and chill until next day in the fridge
Next day
  1. Beat 2 or 3 eggs in a bowl and put bread crumbs in another bowl
  2. Roll mixture croquettes into oval shape. You can also use an ice cream scoop and make balls instead.
  3. Roll croquette into beaten eggs and then into breadcrumbs to coat well
  4. Transfer to a parchment paper baking sheet and repeat with remaining bechamel mixture
  5. Heat olive oil in a pan or deep pot (small so you don't use a lot) over medium-high heat and fry croquettes in batches until golden brown
  6. Transfer to a paper towel to drain the excess of oil
  7. Serve hot and enjoy!!!
Croquetas.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds tasty...
Although, if I could get my hand on some good iberico ham, I'm not sure it would last long enough to make it into croquettes!

Sounds tasty...
Although, if I could get my hand on some good iberico ham, I'm not sure it would last long enough to make it into croquettes!
That's a good thought. However keep in mind that the ham won't be in good soft shape forever. Iberico Ham does not stop the curation process, so at the end it gets hard and over cured. That's the moment you have to make the croquetas, cocido madrileno, etc...

Back
Top Bottom