I'm Watching What I Eat (2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
At some point weight loss is just hard, no matter what you do. Statistics show 95% of people regain their weight after initial weight loss.
Here’s how my weight loss went:

I was at around 265-270lbs and getting bigger every day when I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes.

I don’t have to live to eat, so to speak, so I took pretty drastic measures to lose the weight. I stopped all sugared drinks. I stopped all alcohol. I stopped all processed foods. I stopped all cheese. I stopped all restaurant food.

I drank water and plain black tea (hot and cold), I ate salads with nothing but oil and vinegar, and fresh fruit, and plain oatmeal, and plain shredded wheat cereal, and I measured/weighed every last thing that went in my mouth.

A year to the day later…I’d lost just under a hundred pounds. It wasn’t the smartest or healthiest way to do it, but it worked for me, because I told myself food from now on is for staying alive, not for enjoying, and let’s see how you look a year from now. I also exercised vigorously every day, and because I was diabetic, I was monitoring my glucose levels at home several times a day, and my A1C every three months.

As soon as that happened, I started introducing some of those things back to my diet. I’d have one Ores, not six like I used to do. I’d have two slices of pizza, not the entire 18-inch pizza like I used to do, I’d have two slices of bacon, not the half-pound I used to eat. I’d have responsible amounts of alcohol at the weekends only, instead of two or three drinks every night and twice that on weekends. I never went back to sugared drinks.

Lo and behold, over time, I slowly put weight back on. I went from 175, up and up, until I went a little over 200, and that’s when I saw my glucose numbers change, so I figure out pretty quickly that I could stay under 200 and be ok, so from that point forward, for the next 18 years or so, I did just enough to maintain my weight at around 195. I was determined to get every pound I was entitled to.

Oh, I’m somewhere between 5’9” and 5’10”.

Then, in 2020, my doc told me my numbers were back in the danger zone, which surprised me, because I was at about 195, and she wanted me to go on meds, but I begged off three months to lose some weight, and in three months, I managed to drop 20lbs by cutting my alcohol way down (that’s why MrsT and I split beers to this day), exercising more, and eating what I want, but back to smaller portions.

Since 2020, I’ve kept my weight between 175-180, so I’m not on meds. Yet. I think as I get older, that day is coming, regardless of my weight.

Unfortunately, there’s no way MrsT would ever be able to follow that drastic a diet. It was easy for me, because I just stopped eating most everything, but she still insists things taste good and she still insists (too much, I think :laugh: on variety.

Where WW helps her is that it eliminates tracking carbs (and the associated fiber), calories, fat (food vs bad), and even portion size. She just has to follow one overall point system, and it gives her the serving size right there, so while she does have to measure and weigh things (until it becomes second nature), she doesn’t have to go out and research what a serving size of steak is, and what a serving size of potatoes are, etc.

Also, she gets rewarded for healthy behavior, which appeals to her intense sense of competition. Anything with points that can be accumulated, she’s going to do anything she can to accumulate those points. To that end, a woman who previously moved from the bed to the lounge chair and back to the bed, is now walking a couple of miles a day, every day, rain or shine.

No. Its just that if potatoes and eggs (for example) are zero points I could eat them once or twice a day in different forms (baked, boiled, mashed potatoes and boiled, poached, scrambled eggs) and still have all my points left to eat other stuff as well and that would include adding stuff to the potatoes and eggs so that they weren't plain. I can't see how I'd lose weight that way, that's all.

I think you are looking at "the letter of the law," instead of the "spirit of the law," to use legal terms. "How can I game the system?"

The idea of the free items is to steer you away from the bad foods, and towards healthier foods. The points system also teaches you that you can't have a calorie rich dinner, AND chocolate cake for dessert. You have to choose.

BTW, I was reading this thread Thursday night, and ended up in the kitchen making a bowl of potatoes and eggs. :laugh:

CD

Well.. I've explained how. What do you still not understand?

The toppings cost a LOT of points. And eating only baked potatoes with eggs or yoghurt isn't substainable as a diet, and you have to eat loads of that to maintain normal calories if you don't drink a bottle of wine on top of it ( if so, no points for toppings).

I suppose I'd have to sign up to see what my plan looked like - but looking at your zero point foods, I was thinking I could easily eat a lot of calories a day if those foods were zero (not including wine in this as that's a whole different issue). I wasn't really suggesting only eating eggs and potatoes. I was thinking - hey I could eat all the points I'm allowed plus unlimited eggs and potatoes. So every time I got hungry I could eat a hard boiled egg. Or perhaps a potato and egg salad with a yoghurt and Dijon dressing. They would be snacks!

But then of course, I don't know what points are being awarded for other foods because (as I understand it) it varies from person to person. How may points for a teaspoon of Dijon mustard in your plan, for example?

I think you are looking at "the letter of the law," instead of the "spirit of the law," to use legal terms. "How can I game the system?"

Possibly - TastyReuben said the same! :giggle:

But I'm genuinely interested in how it could work if some of these 'zero point foods' aren't really low calorie and one can eat them as much as you like. The system seems to rely on one not wanting to eat a lot of these zero point foods. I may not be able to eat a shed load of bananas in one day (as cited in an example) but I could easily use eggs and potatoes (for example) as snacks or as extras to the points based meals. Surely that would mean I end up eating more than the recommended calories per day for a woman my age and height?

MrsT has already worked some angles. For example, 1 TB of half-and-half is 1 point.

She’s used to putting 1/4 cup (4 TB) of that in her mug of tea, and she has three mugs a day, so if she continued that, that’s over half her daily points.

WW lets you measure things in fairly minute amounts, so she immediately started adding increments of 1/8 tsp to her 1 TB of half-and-half, and figured out that 1-1/2 TB is still a point, but 1-5/8 TB is 2 points.

So now she gets 1-1/2TB in her tea, and she feels like she’s outsmarting WW! 😎

How may points for a teaspoon of Dijon mustard in your plan, for example?
I think that’s one that’s a zero point food (in that amount) for everyone.

But calorie counting didn't work for you and now your doing it again while saying it was the best solution for you.
That isn't what Windigo said. She said that counting calories is the only thing that has (remotely) worked for her. All other methods of dieting have failed.
calorie counting is the only thing that has remotely worked for me in the past.

As someone who was anorexic as a teenager, the only thing that works for me is calorie counting. I'm prone to over exercising, undereating and weighing myself constantly, so I'll say this once: do not criticise or undermine her efforts.

Possibly - TastyReuben said the same! :giggle:

But I'm genuinely interested in how it could work if some of these 'zero point foods' aren't really low calorie and one can eat them as much as you like. The system seems to rely on one not wanting to eat a lot of these zero point foods. I may not be able to eat a shed load of bananas in one day (as cited in an example) but I could easily use eggs and potatoes (for example) as snacks or as extras to the points based meals. Surely that would mean I end up eating more than the recommended calories per day for a woman my age and height?
I don't know their diet plan or understand how it works either. I've never tried their diets because I was first vegetarian at a time when the didn't cover that as an option and now v being vegan I don't expect any help from them either. It's a reason I'm not a member of the country women's Association and so on but from what I've read here people's zero points foods vary and are personalized to the individual. Perhaps your zero points food would be different if you'd happily eat 5 jacket potatoes and had actually told them that? I don't know, I'm only guessing.

Overeating is not the cause of obesity. Obesity as a disorder of the energy balance principle without considering the biological mechanisms underlying weight gain (hormones) is a red herring. Basically that imbalance causes overeating and weight gain which is driving obesity and metabolic disorders that are associated with many of the diseases from the subsequent inflammation that occurs from that hormonal imbalance.

People overeat and get fat/obese for different reasons. My sister is obese because she eats too much. But, she eats as mush as she does for psychological reason. She overeats for the same reason some people drink too much. It makes here feel good. Food is her drug.

CD

That isn't what Windigo said. She said that counting calories is the only thing that has (remotely) worked for her. All other methods of dieting have failed.

As someone who was anorexic as a teenager, the only thing that works for me is calorie counting. I'm prone to over exercising, undereating and weighing myself constantly, so I'll say this once: do not criticise or undermine her efforts.
My reply was for MG and I never engaged that conversation and only replied with a possible solution, which was ignored and instead I'm being critical and undermining, got it, thanks lol.

My reply was for MG and I never engaged that conversation and only replied with a possible solution, which was ignored and instead I'm being critical and undermining, got it, thanks lol.
Given you quoted Windigo I fail to see how this is the case and I'm not the only one.

But calorie counting didn't work for you and now your doing it again while saying it was the best solution for you.

Given you quoted Windigo I fail to see how this is the case and I'm not the only one.

She engaged my reply to MG, then I replied to the fact that she's tried calorie counting in the past which if she's trying it again, means it didn't work. I mentioned why it doesn't work, which was totally ignored.

Thank you ❤️. I apologise if I come off a little rude sometimes in this thread, having an eating disorder doesn't make this easy. I try to control the way I respond as much as possible, but it's a very loaded subject for me.

She engaged my reply to MG, then I replied to the fact that she's tried calorie counting in the past which if she's trying it again, means it didn't work. I mentioned why it doesn't work, which was totally ignored.
All I can conclude from your post is that my efforts are useless because you are telling me the one thing I know worked for me won't work either. It's not helpful especially because my eating disorder voice is instantly telling me ' see you can't do this' instantly when you say this kind of stuff.
I'm in control of that voice mostly through therapy, but not everyone is capable of that. That's why your reply is not helpful.

I don't know their diet plan or understand how it works either. I've never tried their diets because I was first vegetarian at a time when the didn't cover that as an option and now v being vegan I don't expect any help from them either. It's a reason I'm not a member of the country women's Association and so on but from what I've read here people's zero points foods vary and are personalized to the individual. Perhaps your zero points food would be different if you'd happily eat 5 jacket potatoes and had actually told them that? I don't know, I'm only guessing.
No, they ask what your favorite foods are and design zero around the healthy favorites you choose.

All I can conclude from your post is that my efforts are useless because you are telling me the one thing I know worked for me won't work either. It's not helpful especially because my eating disorder voice is instantly telling me ' see you can't do this' instantly when you say this kind of stuff.
I'm in control of that voice mostly through therapy, but not everyone is capable of that. That's why your reply is not helpful.

I didn't say you will fail, I said you've tried that before and wasn't successful and I explained why failure is a common occurrence which you yourself confirmed. I also mentioned that it made the situation worse by reducing ones metabolism which means when gaining that weight back, which you did, it will now take less calories than before you started to get back to the exact weight you were, which I called a viscous cycle.

Engaging in a diet and food culture environment like weight watchers that promotes good and bad and free foods and those accomplishments on a point system is probably not the best place for people with eating disorders to be engaged in because it can be triggering and a very, very slippery slope. imo.

Losing weight by restriction is and has never been a successful solution and I attempted to get the conversation started by mentioning that it's a body and brain signaling problem that is well researched and that the possibility that getting our hormones, mainly insulin, back on track will and does make weight loss easier to stick with and control food intake and vastly improve health markers for the majority that engage in it, but that went nowhere. I don't like to see people as victims and was just trying to help, unsuccessfully. I do hope you find a solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom