Recipe Impossible Ham & Cheese Pie

kaneohegirlinaz

Wannabe TV Chef
Local time
8:54 AM
Central/Northern AZ, gateway to The Grand Canyon
Website
mykitcheninthemiddleofthedesert.wordpress.com
Impossible Pies are very similar to a Quiche and the filling can really be anything you have on hand. Substitute the meat and cheeses to your taste, try some cooked vegetables; this makes for a great "clear out the `fridge" recipe using leftovers. They can be savory or sweet too.

Impossible Ham & Cheese Pie
(Recipe Adapted from BettyCoker.com)

Serves 6-8

Ingredients:

1 1/2 C. cubed fully cooked smoked boneless Ham
1 C. shredded Swiss cheese (4 ounces) (I used Sharp Cheddar, I don’t care for Swiss)
1/4 C. chopped Green Onions or chopped Onion (I went with Green Onions)
1/2 C. Original Bisquick™ mix (I had the Heart Smart Bisquick-works the same)
1 C. Milk (We only have Whole Milk, but I'm certain whatever you use would be fine)
1/4 tsp. Salt, if desired
1/8 tsp. Black Pepper
2 Eggs

Method:

Heat oven to 400°F/205°C
Grease 9-inch pie plate. (I used soft Butter, only because it was on the counter, but if you have some Bacon Grease that would bump it up)
Sprinkle Onion, Ham and Cheese in pie plate. (you want the Cheese on top)
Stir Bisquick mix, Milk, Salt (if using, I did and found it too Salty for my taste), Pepper and Eggs until blended.
Pour carefully into pie plate.
Bake 35 to 40 minutes (start checking it at about 25 minutes) or until knife inserted in center comes out clean.
Cool 5 minutes.
This yummy creation can be eaten warm or cold, lovely with a Salad for a light Supper.

89324 89325 89327 89326

Impossible Pies recipes were printed on boxes of Bisquick, a baking mix. Around about 1969-1970 they first appeared and there are many different recipes for them.

The combination of the Bisquick, Milk and Eggs creates a crust when baked.
I'd say that I've made my fare share of Impossible Pies over the course of my life. They're so simple and fast.

Bisquick is an American brand and hard to get here in the UK - but I'm wondering... would any pancake mix work?

Bisquick is an American brand and hard to get here in the UK - but I'm wondering... would any pancake mix work?
Here's what I found on Wikipedia:
One cup of Bisquick can be substituted by a mixture of one cup of flour, 1+1⁄2 teaspoons of baking powder, 1⁄2 teaspoon of salt, and 2+1⁄2 tablespoons of oil or melted butter (or by cutting in 2+1⁄2 tbsp Crisco or lard).

You mix all the ingredients together, and as it bakes, the flour mix magically separates and forms its own crust.

Most interesting and what I assumed. But I wonder why it does that? One would think that the whole thing would amalgamate into a solid crustless quiche. Is it simply that the edges get browned up so it seems like a crust?

I don't know what makes the magic but it could be something as simple as the weight of the ham and other ingredients make them sink to the bottom while the crust mixture floats on top and gets brown. I once did a lot of experiments over the course of several months adding things to sheet cakes. Most things did settle at the bottom while the cake baked on top. Not unlike a pineapple upside down cake.

You mix all the ingredients together, and as it bakes, the flour mix magically separates and forms its own crust.

I've never heard that definition before. When I hear "impossible" these days, it almost always means a meat substitute that tastes so good you can't believe it isn't meat. That term could also be used to describe my chances of making macarons correctly. :laugh:

I do like the recipe, though, for its versatility. It's similar to a frittata in its simplicity, but the flour serves to create that crust, which sounds great.

Back
Top Bottom