Including more vegetables in your diet

Yes. Good one.

"What vegetables do you include in your Chop Suey"?

I love the chop suey that I cook (as above) but unfortunately the ingredients cannot be bought in small quantities here and most don't keep well. And however much that I enjoy it, after six days it gets a bit boring.
I could see that. It's hard cooking for just two people and yeah, I'm good for about 3 days of eating the same thing.

I think I'm going to check out my Asian market for fresh vegetables like bamboo shoots. I know they have bean sprouts. Oh and oyster sauce.

Last edited:
I don't make chop suey! I'd give it a whirl though sometime. I usually just do stir fry veges and meat with fried rice, pretty limited with my wok experience.

But chop suey is just stir fried vegetables with meat (but without rice normally).

But chop suey is just stir fried vegetables with meat (but without rice normally).
Yeah I know. Mine actually is fried rice though, just heavy on the vegetables and slightly different flavor profile (no oyster sauce and I use toasted sesame oil to finish). The vegetables vary depending on what I have on hand, but carrots, onion, peppers, sugar snap peas, asparagus, garlic, and mushrooms are typical.

Mirlitons are great stuffed with crawfish or shrimp étouffée as well as part of a mixed vegetable dish such as "corn and mirliton maque choux".

I always boil canned bamboo shots, water chestnuts, and baby corn before I use them to get some of the salt out.

Grow your own bamboo, even in Northern climates. Trust me that stuff is hardy. It also spreads fast and far if it's the running type. Again, trust me, BTDT. If you are somewhere there is a long period of hard freeze, it might keep it contained somewhat but I really don't know. Clumping bamboo will spread but nothing like the running kind.

How to Grow Edible Bamboo Shoots

I always boil canned bamboo shots, water chestnuts, and baby corn before I use them to get some of the salt out.

Grow your own bamboo, even in Northern climates. Trust me that stuff is hardy. It also spreads fast and far if it's the running type. Again, trust me, BTDT. If you are somewhere there is a long period of hard freeze, it might keep it contained somewhat but I really don't know. Clumping bamboo will spread but nothing like the running kind.

How to Grow Edible Bamboo Shoots
I lived in Florida for about 35 years. I grew up in the panhandle in Destin. My mom planted bamboo in our backyard and it was wicked, it took over everything. We couldn't get rid of it, we had a bamboo forest in our backyard.

As a lifelong 90% vegetarian (well, sort of), the biggest disappointment of my life has been that two of my 3 sons believe that the category "vegetables" only includes potatoes, tomatoes, peppers and mushrooms. I feel that I have progressed (I now eat loads of fish, seafood, bacon, and the occasional bit of pork, minced beef, veal, etc.) and they have gone back in time. Anything "green" is rejected immediately, without even trying. There is no vegetable on earth that I will not eat.
So how to include them in your diet? Well, since you´re apparently not a fan of veggies, try incorporating them into your favourite dishes. Steak... with a mushroom sauce. Chicken...with broccoli, with a spinach base, with kale. Pork... with peppers, courgettes and onions. Bit by bit. Be inventive - but first of all , take a look at some recipes on the internet, see what looks good to you, and add the veg.

As a lifelong 90% vegetarian (well, sort of), the biggest disappointment of my life has been that two of my 3 sons believe that the category "vegetables" only includes potatoes, tomatoes, peppers and mushrooms. I feel that I have progressed (I now eat loads of fish, seafood, bacon, and the occasional bit of pork, minced beef, veal, etc.) and they have gone back in time. Anything "green" is rejected immediately, without even trying. There is no vegetable on earth that I will not eat.
So how to include them in your diet? Well, since you´re apparently not a fan of veggies, try incorporating them into your favourite dishes. Steak... with a mushroom sauce. Chicken...with broccoli, with a spinach base, with kale. Pork... with peppers, courgettes and onions. Bit by bit. Be inventive - but first of all , take a look at some recipes on the internet, see what looks good to you, and add the veg.
That is indeed disappointing about your sons, sorry to hear it. All of my kids except for the oldest one like pretty much all vegetables. My oldest one is restricted to iceburg lettuce that comes on his fast food hamburgers or the tomato sauce that comes on the carryout and delivery pizzas he eats. He is in his early 30s so doubtful that is going to change.

I think LissaC just doesn't like Brussels sprouts much but wants to eat them because they are nutrient dense. I don't recall her saying anything about not liking other vegetables. I think it wasn't clear from the first post in this thread because it was moved over from another thread to start a new one, so I can see how you misunderstood.

JAS_OH1, karadekoolaid is partially right I don't love vegetables although there are some I enjoy, so I'm trying to come up with ways to eat them more and add more diversity.

JAS_OH1, karadekoolaid is partially right I don't love vegetables although there are some I enjoy, so I'm trying to come up with ways to eat them more and add more diversity.
Ahhh, I see! I really thought it was just Brussels sprouts, LOL. My apologies karadekoolaid! I always see veges on Lissa's plate so I assumed she wasn't forcing herself to eat them, LOL.

Lissa, do you like salads? I sometimes incorporate cooked items into my salads to make them more tasty.

Ahhh, I see! I really thought it was just Brussels sprouts, LOL. My apologies karadekoolaid! I always see veges on Lissa's plate so I assumed she wasn't forcing herself to eat them, LOL.

Lissa, do you like salads? I sometimes incorporate cooked items into my salads to make them more tasty.
Ok my strategy is working 😂 yes I like salads and I try to eat them often. I've been successful at including more veggies on my diet so far but still need more variety, along with finding ways of including them in my dishes vs having them on the side. I also think I'm still not eating as much vegetables as I should be.

Ok my strategy is working 😂 yes I like salads and I try to eat them often. I've been successful at including more veggies on my diet so far but still need more variety, along with finding ways of including them in my dishes vs having them on the side. I also think I'm still not eating as much vegetables as I should be.
When my husband is out of town working, I do a lot of one dish bowls with raw vegetable salad ingredients, quinoa or another grain, roasted vegetables (sometimes), and a protein with a variety of different dressings. I like the way the warm ingredients play off the cool ones and the salad dressing really enhances the flavor of the other vegetables (like the kale LOL). For dressings I have made pomegranate balsamic, lemon poppyseed, Asian sesame vinaigrette (my favorite) and more. Here's one bowl I absolutely love and have made a few times that is totally customizable (obviously you will cut out the fat from bacon and butter in any cooked vegetables):

Recipe - Kale quinoa power bowl

Back
Top Bottom