Including more vegetables in your diet

Force feeding can start all kinds of freaking eating disorders. My momma always forced me to eat the last bites in the pan, while I was already stuffed. Now I'm calculating my food and turn into the devil, when somebody wants to give me food against my will, it's a right to not eat something.
Right, I was in the camp of not wasting food but i handled that differently. I always made plenty of food at mealtime, but I always encouraged them to not take more than they could eat. I suggested they start with smaller portions and if still hungry they could go back for seconds. It eliminated food waste and they are all at healthy weights as adults.

Also I avoided buying potato chips and junk foods. I would buy raw veggies like carrots and broccoli plus fruits and individual cups of yogurt, and when they came home from school I would have a platter of cut up veggies and fruit sitting out for them to snack on with yogurt in the frig. They would constantly graze on that in between school homework assignments and the 4 iof them finished it off well before dinner, and they all still had good appetites at dinner.

I had to put a lot of thought into it to keep from turning into my mom, lol. I loved her dearly but she was too busy with work and didn't have the knowledge of good nutrition that we have today. Plus I have more money to spend on good food than she did when she was raising us Also she and her family were impoverished growing up during the great depression, a lot of her frugality to not waste was instilled in me, which is why I will eat leftover lasagna or fish and rice for breakfast, whatever we had the night or 2 nights before is fine. People think I'm odd like that. One of my girls is like me in that respect. When they would get up for school in the mornings sometimes they would try to dash out without eating and I would pick their brains to find out what they would eat to feed their minds and bodies before starting a long day. I insisted they eat something, a piece of toast or fruit, granola bars, anything. And the one daughter would see me having pizza or pasta and that's what she wanted too! She's still like that today, lol.

Last edited:
Right, I was in the camp of not wasting food but i handled that differently. I always made plenty of food at mealtime, but I always encouraged them to not take more than they could eat. I suggested they start with smaller portions and if still hungry they could go back for seconds. It eliminated food waste and they are all at healthy weights as adults.

Also I avoided buying potato chips and junk foods. I would buy raw veggies like carrots and broccoli plus fruits and individual cups of yogurt, and when they came home from school I would have a platter of cut up veggies and fruit sitting out for them to snack on with yogurt in the frig. They would constantly graze on that in between school homework assignments and the 4 iof them finished it off well before dinner, and they all still had good appetites at dinner.

I had to put a lot of thought into it to keep from turning into my mom, lol. I loved her dearly but she was too busy with work and didn't have the knowledge of good nutrition that we have today. Plus I have more money to spend on good food than she did when she was raising us Also she and her family were impoverished growing up during the great depression, a lot of her frugality to not waste was instilled in me, which is why I will eat leftover lasagna or fish and rice for breakfast, whatever we had the night or 2 nights before is fine. People think I'm odd like that. One of my girls is like me in that respect. When they would get up for school in the mornings sometimes they would try to dash out without eating and I would pick their brains to find out what they would eat to feed their minds and bodies before starting a long day. I insisted they eat something, a piece of toast or fruit, granola bars, anything. And the one daughter would see me having pizza or pasta and that's what she wanted too! She's still like that today, lol.

I was forced to sit at the table until my plate was clean as a kid. That's fine, if someone in the kitchen can cook. I remember the first time I had asparagus at a fine dining restaurant. It was an epiphany. It was slightly crisp, and full of flavor, not soggy and tasting of a dishrag.

Now, when I go "home" as they call it, I do most of the cooking, at my mom's request. Everyone cleans their plate, without being forced. The biggest difference is that I don't overcook things. Asparagus, broccoli, cauliflower... they are wonderful just steamed until just tender.

I am fortunate that I love fresh fruit and veggies. I don't have to make myself eat more of them.

CD

I was forced to sit at the table until my plate was clean as a kid. That's fine, if someone in the kitchen can cook. I remember the first time I had asparagus at a fine dining restaurant. It was an epiphany. It was slightly crisp, and full of flavor, not soggy and tasting of a dishrag.

Now, when I go "home" as they call it, I do most of the cooking, at my mom's request. Everyone cleans their plate, without being forced. The biggest difference is that I don't overcook things. Asparagus, broccoli, cauliflower... they are wonderful just steamed until just tender.

I am fortunate that I love fresh fruit and veggies. I don't have to make myself eat more of them.

CD
Yeah, if my mom served us veggies, it generally came out of a can. But in this day and age in our country, really good fresh produce is abundant and it just wasn't when I was a kid growing up in Florida, where it was so hot that everything spoiled pretty much before it even hit the supermarket bins in the produce section (except oranges maybe), and I am not sure about the transport sector but can only guess that refrigerated trucks are way more prevalent and efficient than they were back then.

So yeah, even after it came out of the can it got boiled to death. My grandmothers did the same thing. I guess they wanted to make sure no one got botulism.

Nowadays up here in the fertile, rich soil of NE Ohio where we get a lot of rain, my husband churns out fresh produce all summer long, albeit our plot is a limited space and we have pots for some stuff. And I can get whatever he isn't growing at one of the multiple farmer's markets within 15 miles of home. During the winter I am mostly forced to buy at the grocery store, but I can get good frozen vegetables in winter so I am a happy camper.

Yeah, if my mom served us veggies, it generally came out of a can. But in this day and age in our country, really good fresh produce is abundant and it just wasn't when I was a kid growing up in Florida, where it was so hot that everything spoiled pretty much before it even hit the supermarket bins in the produce section (except oranges maybe), and I am not sure about the transport sector but can only guess that refrigerated trucks are way more prevalent and efficient than they were back then.

So yeah, even after it came out of the can it got boiled to death. My grandmothers did the same thing. I guess they wanted to make sure no one got botulism.

Nowadays up here in the fertile, rich soil of NE Ohio where we get a lot of rain, my husband churns out fresh produce all summer long, albeit our plot is a limited space and we have pots for some stuff. And I can get whatever he isn't growing at one of the multiple farmer's markets within 15 miles of home. During the winter I am mostly forced to buy at the grocery store, but I can get good frozen vegetables in winter so I am a happy camper.

We had a lot of canned veggies when I was a kid. But, never buy a dented can!!!!! That was the mantra.

I can honestly say that canned asparagus is one of the worst foods on the planet. Yet, fresh asparagus is one of the best foods on the planet. Go figure.

CD

We had a lot of canned veggies when I was a kid. But, never buy a dented can!!!!! That was the mantra.

I can honestly say that canned asparagus is one of the worst foods on the planet. Yet, fresh asparagus is one of the best foods on the planet. Go figure.

CD
Agreed.

I like to add lightly sauteed vegetables to my salads to change it up, and fresh asparagus is lovely like that. With the vinaigrette it doesn't need butter or salt or anything else to enhance the flavor, and I add it atop the salad when it's still warm so there is a nice contrast of cool and warm vegetables.

They are just different; much as 'mushy peas' are different from frozen (or fresh) peas or tinned potatoes are different from fresh potatoes etc. I actually like them in certain dishes. As another example, tinned (or preserved) artichokes are nothing like fresh artichokes but they have a certain something.

I don't like bacon...and adding the butter beats the purpose of staying healthy.

I don't like bean sprouts. Alfafa sprouts are unheard of here I think. And I don't hate brussel sprouts, just don't enjoy them as much as other foods.
Butter is healthy. It is just a matter of not eating it in excess. I'm a heart patient with two bypass surgeries in my history. The doctor tells me that the best approach is a balanced diet (that would include some lipids like butter) not served and eaten in excess. He only recommends cutting these things out for overweight people. Being overweight is far more unhealthy that anything you might eat. Been there done that.

Portion control is the key for most of us. I put mayo on my sandwiches but lightly. I saute in oil but pat some of the oil out of the product on paper towels before serving. My small porkburgers are served on english muffins instead of buns. I love hollandaise sauce and it doesn't get much fattier than that. Did I mention cheesecake? A small portion is fine. Just don't overdo it.

If you don't like bacon and sprouts don't cook them. My wife is allergic to beef so we never have it. There is still a world of tasty things to eat besides beef.

Butter is healthy. It is just a matter of not eating it in excess. I'm a heart patient with two bypass surgeries in my history. The doctor tells me that the best approach is a balanced diet (that would include some lipids like butter) not served and eaten in excess. He only recommends cutting these things out for overweight people. Being overweight is far more unhealthy that anything you might eat. Been there done that.

Portion control is the key for most of us. I put mayo on my sandwiches but lightly. I saute in oil but pat some of the oil out of the product on paper towels before serving. My small porkburgers are served on english muffins instead of buns. I love hollandaise sauce and it doesn't get much fattier than that. Did I mention cheesecake? A small portion is fine. Just don't overdo it.

If you don't like bacon and sprouts don't cook them. My wife is allergic to beef so we never have it. There is still a world of tasty things to eat besides beef.
I agree. I use a lot of butter and dairy, and although some might think the amount I use is excessive, like you, my meal portions are not in excess. I am probably about 25 pounds over what I should be for my height but given that I am 61 I think it's rather age appropriate. That being said, I might try to drop another 5-10 pounds over the next year (I lost about 30 pounds over the last 3-4 years without really trying).

I am sorry to hear about your bypass surgeries. My oldest brother also had two of them (over the past 20 years) and my FIL just had one over this past Christmas holidays. They managed to take the weight off and are doing quite well.

I practically lived off fish and vegetables until I was in my late 30s and have friends back home who are complete pescatarians and never eat land animals. I do love my beef but we only eat red meat about once a week--it's mostly chicken, fish, and eggs for our proteins.

We all love vegetables here so we eat plenty. Example tonight
Roasted potatoes carrots parsnips pumpkin kumara boiled peas.
I'm happy about the amount I eat. Prolly more than most here??
Satnav beats me though.

Russ

I agree. I use a lot of butter and dairy, and although some might think the amount I use is excessive, like you, my meal portions are not in excess. I am probably about 25 pounds over what I should be for my height but given that I am 61 I think it's rather age appropriate. That being said, I might try to drop another 5-10 pounds over the next year (I lost about 30 pounds over the last 3-4 years without really trying).

I am sorry to hear about your bypass surgeries. My oldest brother also had two of them (over the past 20 years) and my FIL just had one over this past Christmas holidays. They managed to take the weight off and are doing quite well.

I practically lived off fish and vegetables until I was in my late 30s and have friends back home who are complete pescatarians and never eat land animals. I do love my beef but we only eat red meat about once a week--it's mostly chicken, fish, and eggs for our proteins.
The doctors have certainly extended my life span. No question about that. Sounds to me like you are doing just fine. I've been on a portion control diet for a little over a year and I've lost about 70 lbs. You can call me a little overweight but I'm certainly not fat any longer. I weigh myself daily and try to keep it just slightly in the down direction. It fluctuates but is always down in the longer run. I'm not on a crash diet. I'm on a permanent slow and steady weight loss. I ate two ice cream bars yesterday so I do indulge in treats, just not constantly. It isn't magic. You need to take in fewer calories than you metabolize. There are many ways to do that. I think I have settled into what works best for me.

There's not a single vegetable I won't eat and my diet is probably 95% veg, plus cheese, eggs and fish. I always give a wry smile when people say "WHAT? You're vegetarian? What do you eat, then? " and then tell me they don't like broccoli, cauliflower, beetroot, mushrooms, green beans, spicy food, spinach or cabbage!
My suggestion to those who don't (or won't) eat vegetables is to look for creative recipes. Don't like Brussels? Fry up some bacon, add some hazelnuts, put a bit of balsamic in there, add a tsp of honey. Broccoli? Try it with ketjap manis, or soy, ginger and peanuts, or lemon juice, garlic and fresh chile pepper. Beetroot? Roast it with balsamic vinegar and white wine, with a touch of honey. Peppers? Put them in a stir fry with lots of SE Asian condiments, or stuff them with minced meat & tomato sauce, or incorporate them into a coleslaw. A little imagination (or a few minutes usefully spent googling!) can make all the difference.

There's not a single vegetable I won't eat and my diet is probably 95% veg, plus cheese, eggs and fish. I always give a wry smile when people say "WHAT? You're vegetarian? What do you eat, then? " and then tell me they don't like broccoli, cauliflower, beetroot, mushrooms, green beans, spicy food, spinach or cabbage!
My suggestion to those who don't (or won't) eat vegetables is to look for creative recipes. Don't like Brussels? Fry up some bacon, add some hazelnuts, put a bit of balsamic in there, add a tsp of honey. Broccoli? Try it with ketjap manis, or soy, ginger and peanuts, or lemon juice, garlic and fresh chile pepper. Beetroot? Roast it with balsamic vinegar and white wine, with a touch of honey. Peppers? Put them in a stir fry with lots of SE Asian condiments, or stuff them with minced meat & tomato sauce, or incorporate them into a coleslaw. A little imagination (or a few minutes usefully spent googling!) can make all the difference.
There are plenty of vegetables i love but several I don't. With some its a mouthfeel/texture thing. I like raw cabbage but dislike it cooked. I've had it many ways and I'll eat it, but not crazy about it. Carrots have to be cooked to death in a soup or stew with lots of other stuff, but I do like them raw. I've had okra fried, in gumbo, etc. and find it disgusting. No sweet squashes, yams, sweet potatoes, etc. They all taste and have that mouthfeel i dislike. Beetroot: I've only ever had it jarred/canned/pickled and I didn't like it. I'd try it prepared some other way and might like it.

Love Brussels sprouts, broccoli, kale, beans, peas, asparagus, zucchini, tomatoes and many more.

Asparagus with hollandaise sauce is one of my favorite foods. It ranks right up there with cheesecake. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom