Local time
9:41 AM
Indian Tomato Rice
Makes 4 servings

Ingredients
1 cup white Basmati rice, rinsed
1 1/4 cups water
2 TB tomato paste
2 TB grapeseed or other neutral oil (I used canola oil)
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp coriander seeds
1 tsp brown or black mustard seeds
2 bird’s eye chiles, stemmed and halved lengthwise
1 garlic clove, finely grated
1 tsp finely grated fresh ginger
1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/2 pound cherry or grape tomatoes, quartered
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves

Directions
In a bowl, combine the rinsed rice with enough cold water to cover by 1 inch. Let soak for 15 minutes. Drain the rice very well

In a 2-cup measuring cup, combine the 1 1/4 cups water and tomato paste; whisk until dissolved. Set aside.

In a large saucepan over medium, combine the oil, cumin, coriander, mustard seeds, chiles, garlic, and ginger. Cook until the seeds begin to pop and the mixture is fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in the rice and salt and cook, stirring, until coated with oil, about 30 seconds.

Stir in the water-tomato paste mixture and bring to a simmer. Cover, reduce heat to low and cook until the water has been absorbed, about 15 minutes.

Remove from the heat, add the tomatoes and let sit, covered, for 5 minutes. Stir in the cilantro, fluffing the rice with a fork.

Recipe by way of The Complete Milk Street TV Show Cookbook

The CookingBites recipe challenge: rice

I haven't eaten a lot of Indian food over the years, what would you serve this with? Thank you for sharing.

I haven't eaten a lot of Indian food over the years, what would you serve this with? Thank you for sharing.
I served it with tandoori chicken, and the notes in the recipe say that it’s a good side dish for chicken or fish.

I served it with tandoori chicken, and the notes in the recipe say that it’s a good side dish for chicken or fish.
Oh yes, I remember that now. I really loved the way the chicken looked. I made that tandoori style chicken once with rascal's spice mix. Yum.

Back
Top Bottom