Interesting food items from discount stores

epicuric

Veteran
Staff member
Has anyone else discovered the delights of the discount store? In fairness, most of what they sell is fairly rubbish, and cheap for a reason, but sometimes they sell interesting and unusual products that simply didn't catch on in mainstream supermarkets. We happened to be walking past a Poundstretcher store yesterday and popped in for a browse. I found these, on sale for £0.10 each:
IMG_1329.JPG

And so my foray into the miso challenge begins! In another discount store (B&M) a few weeks ago I found some fantastic Spanish, organic cider vinegar for around £1.00. My wife picked up some tubs of grated Parmesan for around a third of what we usually pay.

morning glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
I think they get in job lots of ends of ranges or something - by discount stores I'm assuming you mean the non-food specific discounters? Aldi and Lidl, the discount supermarkets in the UK have been selling all sorts of excellent food for quite a while now - including vegan stuff.

Elawin

Veteran
We have a local shop used to be a Pound shop but has diversified into selling all sorts of things cheap (quite big, took over the old Iceland store). They sell quite a few food items cheaply - some are end of ranges, so regular stock. I don't go in there very often now though as I refuse to pay the ridiculous car parking charges the Council has imposed. Our new Lidl supermarket opened eventually but I'm not overly impressed by it.

Top Bottom