Interesting food items from discount stores

epicuric

Legendary Member
Local time
8:43 AM
Has anyone else discovered the delights of the discount store? In fairness, most of what they sell is fairly rubbish, and cheap for a reason, but sometimes they sell interesting and unusual products that simply didn't catch on in mainstream supermarkets. We happened to be walking past a Poundstretcher store yesterday and popped in for a browse. I found these, on sale for £0.10 each:
IMG_1329.JPG

And so my foray into the miso challenge begins! In another discount store (B&M) a few weeks ago I found some fantastic Spanish, organic cider vinegar for around £1.00. My wife picked up some tubs of grated Parmesan for around a third of what we usually pay.

I think they get in job lots of ends of ranges or something - by discount stores I'm assuming you mean the non-food specific discounters? Aldi and Lidl, the discount supermarkets in the UK have been selling all sorts of excellent food for quite a while now - including vegan stuff.

We have a local shop used to be a Pound shop but has diversified into selling all sorts of things cheap (quite big, took over the old Iceland store). They sell quite a few food items cheaply - some are end of ranges, so regular stock. I don't go in there very often now though as I refuse to pay the ridiculous car parking charges the Council has imposed. Our new Lidl supermarket opened eventually but I'm not overly impressed by it.

Back
Top Bottom