Is pineapple on pizza acceptable?

So long as there is a some kind of homage, a respectful nod, to the roots of a cuisine, I invite all fusion to be celebrated. One of my favourite pizzas of all time is a thin crust pizza with thin slices of pear, caramelized onion, and brie, and it's made at a restaurant called the Tuscany. It is absolutely sublime. I don't know if it is traditional, but those ingredients would have all been accessible in Italy.

Pineapple is a fruit, and after all, the original Neapolitan pizza, the Margherita, has fruit as one of its three ingredients: tomatoes! Trying things with different variations on the same principle (i.e. fruit with cheese) helps me see through the flavours to their underlying qualities, and this is one of my favourite things about tasting food.

I know this is an old thread, and I am a new member but, NO, pineapple is NEVER acceptable on MY pizza. :thumbsdown:

CD

I felt this way. I really did - but strangely I'm coming round to the idea and I now have a rather mad on-going recipe development project to develop a pizza with pineapple! See here.

Pineapple should be injected with 151 and eaten after a long day spearfishing! When I drove a dive boat out of Ft. Lauderdale and I had a bunch of cops on board, I always had a couple of loaded pineapples ready to go!

My wife has just said to me that she's too lazy to go out to eat (the Fat Lady's restaurant is closed) and she has nothing in so she may order a carry oot pizza from a place in town. "I may try some", I says, "What are you ordering?". "Hawaiian", she says.

After 5 minutes of my subsequent rantings that pineapple shouldn't be allowed within 50 metres of a pizza, she changed her mind and ordered a pepperoni.

[Edit: actually she didn't - in the end she ordered Thai carry oot from Bamboozled Restaurant].

Doh

Last edited:
Well, over here they put asparagus and artichoke on pizza so I don't see why not pineapple.

I LOVE artichoke hearts on my pizza, and while I never had asparagus on mine, I'd probably like that as well.

The problem with pineapple is that I HATE sweet pizza. And, yes, you can pull the things off, but the sugary sap remains. I cringe! I'll have dessert when I WANT dessert, not on my pizza.

Back
Top Bottom