Is there a right and a wrong way of cooking lamb here?

Roasting uncovered, she added a bit of water at the end. Shoulder doesn't dry out but leg does especially when you start cutting it mid cooking
Yeah, without a lot of detail I would say that roasting uncovered for a shoulder cut isn't really desirable because it can dry out. An oil and herb etc rub and seasoned would be preferable. Ideally some liquid with the shoulder roast would also be preferable like a chicken stock, white wine or both, basically what I'm saying is a shoulder roast is better braised. The bone in leg can be roasted but it will take a little less time and can also be cooked med rare or rare, personally I like to debone, butterfly, marinate then over an open flame cook until med rare, nothing more or it begins to toughen up. Adding water near the end does nothing to meat but will dislodge the fond to be used later for a gravy if one is to be made. Personally I would also use a bed of vegetables and at least 1 head of cut garlic for a roast to sit on. Not sure what temp was used but for the shoulder it should be low-ish and cooked for at least 4 hours and covered.

I just put some lamb chops in marinade. Will grill for 1 minute on each side at high heat, put back in the marinade, and finish in the oven on a low temp.

Back
Top Bottom