It was tough and almost never rose to the occasion

Local time
1:31 AM
I finally "did it". I made my first bread and I opted for something that was supposed to be simple. What was to be probably less than a two hour job, turned into a few hours well and I still don't think I got it right. I was told to let the bread rise for 25 mins and it would double it's size. 25mins later the only thing rising was my frustration and blood pressure.

In the end it took hours before I saw any significant rising. After about 3 or more hours I decided I had seen enough and stuck it in the oven. Here is the recipe and the end result. I just feel like it was a tough ride and a tough bread in the end. I was hoping for something much lighter. I know I made some mistakes but what I don't know.
http://www.food.com/recipe/quick-yeast-bread-89164

20150915_222936_resized.jpg 20150916_084325_resized.jpg

This reminds me of my sister-in-law who made a business of baking morning bread for the neighborhood. Called Pandesal, the morning bread is the breakfast staple of most homes in Metro Manila. So it would be good business if you capture the entire village - the populace will buy your bread every morning. And when the business started, my sister-in-law couldn't get the right formula that the bread would always come up so hard. Her husband said that it is better if she puts up a business of hardware so she can sell the bread as bricks.

This reminds me of my sister-in-law who made a business of baking morning bread for the neighborhood. Called Pandesal, the morning bread is the breakfast staple of most homes in Metro Manila. So it would be good business if you capture the entire village - the populace will buy your bread every morning. And when the business started, my sister-in-law couldn't get the right formula that the bread would always come up so hard. Her husband said that it is better if she puts up a business of hardware so she can sell the bread as bricks.
:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:When it was supposedly finish the top was like brick and you should see me fighting to get it out of the pan and rubbing with water as the recipe suggested. Then wrapping it in a towel to let it sweat. That bread did sweat me.

I had some for breakfast covered in garlic butter and stuck it in the small oven to give it some life. I refuse to let my hard work go down the drain. I am also to say that I used whole wheat flour instead of white flour so that might have affected something along the way. I am still quietly proud of my brick bread.:chef:

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:When it was supposedly finish the top was like brick and you should see me fighting to get it out of the pan and rubbing with water as the recipe suggested. Then wrapping it in a towel to let it sweat. That bread did sweat me.

I had some for breakfast covered in garlic butter and stuck it in the small oven to give it some life. I refuse to let my hard work go down the drain. I am also to say that I used whole wheat flour instead of white flour so that might have affected something along the way. I am still quietly proud of my brick bread.:chef:
How'd you intend pouring it down the drain?

I want to give you lots of applause for your bread. You know what, it doesn't look that bad (depending on what you were trying to achieve). I can't imagine why a recipe would say only rise for 25mins (hope it wasn't my recipe with typo or something). Usual rising time is minimum of 2 hrs. 3 or more is normal!

What kind of flour did you use? This looks like a kind of brown flour (rye or wholemeal) not white. If you want a lighter bread you have to use at least some white flour. Anyway, you are now a bread maker!

:bravo:

Gee, I admire your tenacity, hahahaaa, just joking. Maybe the whole wheat flour has a different recipe altogether. But in fairness to you, I'm sure you can get the correct formula in another try or maybe even several tries. What's important in cooking or baking is to understand the problem - determine where the mistake lies so you can correct it. As with my sister-in-law's morning bread, she failed ot make the yeast rise for a mistake in the time allocated for that stage.

Morning Glory, I graciously accept the applause. I was so afraid going in. I just still think that kind of baking is very complicated and that I made some right decisions, one of which was to be patient and let it rise. I am quietly thinking it had something to do with the flour. I read a review where one person said she mixed whole wheat and white flour. I went in with all whole wheat flour. For a while I wondered if the yeast was good but I believe it was.

Corzhens, I was planning to call it a fail, but I think not considering everything. I served my son some for breakfast yesterday and he did not complain. I had to explain to my husband who can eat everything in sight that it was not some sort of sweet bread and that he should use some garlic spread if he wants flavour. He told me it's going to need a lot more than garlic. He still ate some of it. I like to share everything thing with my dogs. I offered only one a tiny piece and she did not respond well. I like to listen when my dog speaks.

Looking at the recipe again I have a couple of comments. Firstly, this is a recipe from an amateur cook. Nothing wrong with that, but if you don't know the cook it is best to stick with professional cooks recipes or (of course) tried and trusted recipes here! Secondly, this recipe uses white flour (as you pointed out) and it uses nearly double the amount of instant dried yeast that would normally be needed, I presume that is supposed to boost the rising and make it faster. Thirdly, I've never heard of the 'rubbing with water' method for softening the crust!
If you use white all purpose flour it will rise more quickly and be much lighter. Just remembered that I posted an even simpler recipe earlier with American/English conversions. Basic white bread (simple one-rise method)

Last edited:
Thanks Morning Glory. I just Googled quick and easy bread and came up with this one. Did not realise you had that much of a simple one posted here. I'm going to give it another go. I approached this project with so much trepidation, I am surprised I did not just give up before it reached the oven. So with new resolve I am going to give it another shot and Pat I am inviting you to join me. Instead of breaking 'bricks' we'll be breaking barriers so to speak.

Back
Top Bottom