Italian American Food

I must make amends, absolutely. In Italy, and precisely in Naples, there is a street food called 'Cuzzetiello', which consists of a piece of bread stuffed with meatballs with sauce and/or other ingredients.

It was my dad who reminded me that it exists. And it seems that I also ate it when I was a teenager during a weekend spent in Naples with my parents.

View attachment 50771

It looks good! Also, a more reasonable serving size.

CD

As a polentone the vid above is precisely why I don't pair pasta with meatballs. As in most countries the north is more civilized than the south.

No no please, I know it's only a funny little children's tune, I understand this of course.
It was just a consideration of how there are thousands of these examples that have exhausted us by now

I have no problem deleting it. Or MG can delete this whole group of posts. If I just delete mine, yours won't make any sense to anyone.

CD

It is really a regional thing. Most of us call it tomato sauce, or spaghetti sauce. In and around NYC, they use terms like "red sauce" and "Sunday gravy (ragout)." They also call capocollo "gabagool." Pasta Fagioli is called "pasta fazool."

NYC has a slang name for almost everything.

CD

I lived in NYC, and never ran into "red sauce" or "Sunday gravy"...

(And we ate all sorts of things... the parents went to town bringing home all manners of food from nearly every corner of that city. )

I've heard the term "Sunday gravy" (or just gravy) to mean a tomato-based sauce for pasta. Always on cooking shows. This is from Wikipedia:

Some Italian Americans on the East Coast and around the Chicago area refer to tomato sauce as "gravy", "tomato gravy", or "Sunday gravy", especially sauces with a large quantity of meat simmered in them, similar to the Italian Neapolitan ragù. The term "Sunday gravy" derives from the Italian tradition of having a large, family dinner on Sunday afternoons. "Gravy" is an erroneous English translation from the Italian sugo which means juice, but can also mean sauce (as in sugo per pastasciutta).

I'm not saying to delete it.

Okay, whatever you want.

I tend to be very easy going with funny little things about Americans. I use the term "Merican" on forums sometimes, and I've gotten called out by fellow American members for it. To me, "Mercans" is a term for Americans just being our regular quirky selves. I am very happy that I was born and raised in the USA. But, I also have no problem laughing at my self, and my fellow "Mercans" when we do funny things.

One thing I have tried to emphasize in this thread is that Italian and Italian-American foods are different, but I don't see that as a bad thing. My first Neapolitan Pizza in a cafe in Napoli was an epiphany. The feeling was, okay, now I get it. But, I hope an Italian can come to New York City, and get a NY "Slice," and enjoy it for what it is -- no more, no less. Keep in mind, the people who created Italian-American food actually came to America from Italy.

CD

Back
Top Bottom