Italian American Food

I guess my own thoughts on American-Italian boil down to: Little Italy and Arthur Avenue in NYC serve both old country Italian food as well as American-Italian - unfortunately a lot of New England (where I have lived) and also Indiana (where I have also lived) has gone with the Italian American style of food that uses Ragu sauce and lots of extra sugar in their sauces. And are turned ultimately bland. That's the type I'd rather avoid. The Italian (whether hyphenated or not) food I've had in NYC has been great.

Pizza I've grown into deciding is an entirely different thing in many ways. I love the New Haven (Connnecticut) styles of pizza, and I am totally happy with most thin-shelled pizzas that have lots of oregano and stretchy cheese and tasty toppings on board.

I just remembered this song goofy we used to sing as children. I assume it American, but don't know the history.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JytbHDRG0U

CD
CD - I remember singing that silly song as a child. We sang it as a "round". MypinchofItaly it is a silly child's song and not meant to be offensive.
The Godfather series colored the American impression of Italian immigrants. Unfortunately it was based on facts. For many decades the Mafia was alive and well in the U.S. There are still "Families" who have changed their focus to legitimate business, especially in Los Vegas. There are remnants of the Carlos Marcella family in NOLA. Their primary business is legit but they are still involved in shady deals.
I do not think of the Families as a true representation of Italy.

Before I met George I dated a man who was second generation Italian American. We would visit his parents and sibling for Sunday dinner. OMG!! The amount of food was astounding. The first course was always pasta. My friends Dad had a huge garden. He made his own tomato sauce and Italian sausage. The BEST!!!

I don't know if this is Italian, Italian-American, or Italian-Hillbilly-Redneck, but I could eat this almost every day:

Really simple:

Brown some sausage, add onion and peppers, cook until soft. Add garlic, tomato paste, dried basil & oregano, red pepper flakes, and cook for just a minute or so.

Deglaze with some wine, cook out most of the wine, then add crushed tomatoes and (skip ahead, MypinchofItaly) a little sugar. Cook for several minutes until thickened.

Add more wine and some water, then in with the dry pasta, a good stir, and on with the cover. Stir a bit and add water as needed, until the pasta is cooked, about 15 minutes. Salt and pepper to taste.

On with the broiler/grill, top with cheese, and three minutes later, you're done.

I don't know if this is Italian, Italian-American, or Italian-Hillbilly-Redneck, but I could eat this almost every day:

Really simple:

Brown some sausage, add onion and peppers, cook until soft. Add garlic, tomato paste, dried basil & oregano, red pepper flakes, and cook for just a minute or so.

Deglaze with some wine, cook out most of the wine, then add crushed tomatoes and (skip ahead, MypinchofItaly) a little sugar. Cook for several minutes until thickened.

Add more wine and some water, then in with the dry pasta, a good stir, and on with the cover. Stir a bit and add water as needed, until the pasta is cooked, about 15 minutes. Salt and pepper to taste.

On with the broiler/grill, top with cheese, and three minutes later, you're done.

I'm leaning toward Italian-Hillbilly-Redneck, but I'd eat that, and go back for seconds. Serve that with a good moonshine, vintage September, and you have some good vittles.

CD

CD - I remember singing that silly song as a child. We sang it as a "round". MypinchofItaly it is a silly child's song and not meant to be offensive.
The Godfather series colored the American impression of Italian immigrants. Unfortunately it was based on facts. For many decades the Mafia was alive and well in the U.S. There are still "Families" who have changed their focus to legitimate business, especially in Los Vegas. There are remnants of the Carlos Marcella family in NOLA. Their primary business is legit but they are still involved in shady deals.
In the 80/90's in N/Y a number of syndicated music radio stations were "controlled". Unlike in the UK a record is charted in the US by radio plays not sales. On a number of occasions to chart a UK act I delivered the bribe money to some very personable "gentlemen". They always took me out for dinner to Sparks.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6n5Uoo3Ji2U&ab_channel=fjeldczat

Okay, whatever you want.

I tend to be very easy going with funny little things about Americans. I use the term "Merican" on forums sometimes, and I've gotten called out by fellow American members for it. To me, "Mercans" is a term for Americans just being our regular quirky selves. I am very happy that I was born and raised in the USA. But, I also have no problem laughing at my self, and my fellow "Mercans" when we do funny things.

One thing I have tried to emphasize in this thread is that Italian and Italian-American foods are different, but I don't see that as a bad thing. My first Neapolitan Pizza in a cafe in Napoli was an epiphany. The feeling was, okay, now I get it. But, I hope an Italian can come to New York City, and get a NY "Slice," and enjoy it for what it is -- no more, no less. Keep in mind, the people who created Italian-American food actually came to America from Italy.

CD

Oh, I thought I’ve already explained my not-offence at all but evidently I’m still called into play. Ok.
I have never said that Italian-American food is not good (if I’ve said please point it out because I don’t remember) and I’ve already said in some previous posts that I’ll eat it willingly.
Italian-American food came to America from Italy, yes or it wouldn’t call Italian-American. We all know this, ok

About jokes, I am glad you are easy going to laugh about Mericans and at yourself, so do I about Italians.

Yes, as I’ve already written in the posts above, I know it was a funny jokes! I should have written that in bold, I suppose.
About M. Oh well, thank you, it’s a relief to know you don’t think that of the Families as a true representation of Italy, thank you again from all of us.

Really simple:

Yes, sounds and looks good.

Oh, I thought I’ve already explained my not-offence at all but evidently I’m still called into play. Ok.
I have never said that Italian-American food is not good (if I’ve said please point it out because I don’t remember) and I’ve already said in some previous posts that I’ll eat it willingly.
Italian-American food came to America from Italy, yes or it wouldn’t call Italian-American. We all know this, ok

About jokes, I am glad you are easy going to laugh about Mericans and at yourself, so do I about Italians.

Sorry about picking at this sore spot. I'm not trying. Let me just day that I love reading your posts of Italian foods. I learn a lot about my family heritage -- and get ideas for some really awesome foods.

I know you "get it." You are a true "foodie" like all of us. I wish that I could eat with you in Italy some day, and you could eat with me in Texas. I think we would both have a good time -- and gain several pounds. :rolleyes:

CD

Sorry about picking at this sore spot. I'm not trying. Let me just day that I love reading your posts of Italian foods. I learn a lot about my family heritage -- and get ideas for some really awesome foods.

I know you "get it." You are a true "foodie" like all of us. I wish that I could eat with you in Italy some day, and you could eat with me in Texas. I think we would both have a good time -- and gain several pounds. :rolleyes:

CD

It's nice that you learn a lot about your family heritage, always keep it with you, it's important - but I know you know that.

Ah yes yes, I'm sure we'd have a lot of fun eating together, drinking good wine and talking bad about pineapple pizza :laugh:

If one day you come back to visit Italy, stop in Milan, I'll take you to a typical Milanese osteria that I'm sure you'll appreciate.

I've never been to America, but it's on my bucket list. Visit the Southfolk Ranch of Dallas TV series also :giggle:

should we mention: "gravy" ? it's another 'take' on tomato sauces used by early immigrants...

I'ma gonna' tella' you a real story - like true....
I worked for multi-nationals. before the internet, email and zoom, people used to travel and have actual, real meetings.
you know, like a big square table setup with chairs and stuff....

so once upon a time it was USA's turn to host the meeting. we had Swedes, Danes, Brits, French, Germans, Americans and Italians.
took 'em to Pizza Hut - pitchers of beer and Pizza Supreme.
the Europeans had issues getting their eyeballs back in the sockets - they had _never_ seen anything like a Supreme......

should we mention: "gravy" ? it's another 'take' on tomato sauces used by early immigrants...

I'ma gonna' tella' you a real story - like true....
I worked for multi-nationals. before the internet, email and zoom, people used to travel and have actual, real meetings.
you know, like a big square table setup with chairs and stuff....

so once upon a time it was USA's turn to host the meeting. we had Swedes, Danes, Brits, French, Germans, Americans and Italians.
took 'em to Pizza Hut - pitchers of beer and Pizza Supreme.
the Europeans had issues getting their eyeballs back in the sockets - they had _never_ seen anything like a Supreme......

Still my fave pizza to order take oot. Pan pizza super supreme. !!

Russ

It's nice that you learn a lot about your family heritage, always keep it with you, it's important - but I know you know that.

Ah yes yes, I'm sure we'd have a lot of fun eating together, drinking good wine and talking bad about pineapple pizza :laugh:

If one day you come back to visit Italy, stop in Milan, I'll take you to a typical Milanese osteria that I'm sure you'll appreciate.

I've never been to America, but it's on my bucket list. Visit the Southfolk Ranch of Dallas TV series also :giggle:
If you ever do travel to the U.S. I hope you include south Louisiana. I would love to take you to my favorite restaurants, introduce you to my crazy family and have you in my kitchen to prepare a REAL Italian meal. Our climate sucks for people not used to it except for April. Everyone has central A/C so it is tolerable. April is beautiful with flowers and lush vegetation. If you were to visit we would take you on a swamp tour and a salt water fishing trip. You could add your Italian influence to Gulf seafood. I know I sound kind of crazy but that is how we are in South Louisiana; the friendliest, most hospitable people in the U.S. We never meet strangers. Visitors are always welcomed like family.

We have never been in a Pizza Hut, I read Covid has hit them hard in the UK. What is a "supreme" ?

Back
Top Bottom