Italian cooking

Recipe - Pasta alla Norcina (with Black Truffle)

Pasta alla Norcina (con Tartufo Nero), one of the cornerstones of Umbrian cuisine, takes its name from the Norcini, i.e. those who slaughter pigs and process their meat to obtain cured meats and sausages. Hence the name of the Norcinerie, small shops where pork is processed and sold, respecting the ancient traditions handed down over the centuries, from the town of Norcia in Umbria (Central Italy) and the surrounding areas.

The main ingredients of this pasta are Norcia’s pork sausage and cream, which can be replaced with sheep’s milk ricotta. The addition of black truffle is in itself a variant of Pasta alla Norcina, a variant that however still maintains the Umbrian tradition. As with most Italian recipes, this one makes no exceptions as to the type of pasta used; most say short pasta is the chosen one, others prepare it strictly using long pasta, I have chosen Pappardelle.

Sardinian-Style Rabbit with Sun-Dried Tomatoes

From the island of Sardinia comes this stewed rabbit ( Su Conillu a succhittu in Sardinian language) with many Mediterranean flavours and aromas such as bay leaves, rosemary, capers, juniper berries and sun-dried tomatoes, and green olives too.

Basically, it is a rabbit that is soaked in water and wine vinegar for several hours, sometimes even overnight. It is a traditional Sardinian recipe typical of the Campidano, a flat area in the south-west of the island that stretches from the city of Oristano to the province of Cagliari. Each family has its own version, and I have tried to keep the one closest to the traditional recipe.

My aunts in Sardinia also used to make it by adding some fresh mint leaves, which I would have liked to add but didn't have at home. I have also noticed that I prefer this dish without feeling the need to add olives, if at all.

Depending on the quantity, the sauce can also be used to make an excellent pasta sauce :rolleyes:

Neapolitan-style pizza with prosciutto e funghi (ham and mushrooms).

The term “Neapolitan-style pizza” is referred to the dough, however in Italy on the pizzerie menu there is Pizza Napoli or Pizza Napoletana which is referred to the ingredients in it, i.e. anchovies, regardless the dough-style.
Yes, we are so damned complicated 😅

We had some real Neapolitan pizza a few weeks ago, in a pizzeria called "Santa Maria".
I was surprised by two things: the puffy crust round the edge and the very thin crust on the bottom. Impossible to eat as a slice, one might think - until the owner showed us how to eat it. Double up the crust and flick the central part over on to the crust.
Awesome.

We had some real Neapolitan pizza a few weeks ago, in a pizzeria called "Santa Maria".
I was surprised by two things: the puffy crust round the edge and the very thin crust on the bottom. Impossible to eat as a slice, one might think - until the owner showed us how to eat it. Double up the crust and flick the central part over on to the crust.
Awesome.
View attachment 84037

View attachment 84038

Yeah Neapolitan-pizza style is just like you say, puffy (a bit chewy sometimes) crust and thin one on the bottom. I like it although I prefer a pizza with a good crispy crust and not too much thin on the bottom.
I didn’t know that method to slice the Neapolitan one, I dunno how but I can slice it… well not perfect slice but somehow I do it (often I just make a mess) 🙂

Gnocchi alla Romana

Gnocchi alla Romana, as the name suggests, is one of the dishes that belongs to the city of Rome.
They are prepared with semolina, butter, milk and if you want to stay in the Roman style, Pecorino cheese is used, otherwise Parmigiano cheese is often used. They are cooked in the oven. Unlike semolina flour, Semolino is a product ground not only from durum wheat, but also from soft wheat, maize, rice and other cereals. It is also used for puddings, hot or cold desserts, baby food or for cakes such as the Neapolitan Migliaccio.

These gnocchi are very soft and have a delicious crusty coating on the outside.

Wow - do they look good! What do you serve them with? Just on their own, or with a sauce, or with flavoured butter?

I usually serve them as they are, adding more butter doesn't work for me because they already have plenty.

Occasionally I serve them with tomato sauce but I prefer them with something lighter to compensate, like a fresh salad or vegetables. Or as I said above, just on their own.

Back
Top Bottom