Italian Food

https://www.mypinchofitaly.co.uk/2019/03/24/simple-bean-stew-with-bacon-and-celery/

Beans have been a staple in Italian cuisine for centuries: they are a cheap source of proteins, and can be dried during the harvesting season and used later on in the cold winter months. Soups and stews that have beans as their main ingredients are a healthy and filling comfort food that warms up even the coldest days.

There’s many different ways to cook a delicious bean stew: some recipes suggest to use lard instead of bacon, or tomato sauce instead of fresh tomatoes. Tuscany’s traditional bean stew, called ‘Fagioli all’Uccelletto’, is characterised by the heavy usage of sage.

Simple bean stew with bacon and celery.jpg

https://www.mypinchofitaly.co.uk/2019/03/24/simple-bean-stew-with-bacon-and-celery/

Beans have been a staple in Italian cuisine for centuries: they are a cheap source of proteins, and can be dried during the harvesting season and used later on in the cold winter months. Soups and stews that have beans as their main ingredients are a healthy and filling comfort food that warms up even the coldest days.

There’s many different ways to cook a delicious bean stew: some recipes suggest to use lard instead of bacon, or tomato sauce instead of fresh tomatoes. Tuscany’s traditional bean stew, called ‘Fagioli all’Uccelletto’, is characterised by the heavy usage of sage.

View attachment 23756

Sage and beans is a lovely combination. I have a large sage bush in the garden and plenty of beans.... ideas!

Much of what is in my area of Massachusetts is not the best of Italian food. Yes, you can find good pizza, but much of the rest of the menus doesn't really explore the richness of that culture (actually, several cultures - north Italian differs from southern which differs from Sicilian. (I'm sure that point has been made in the previous 11 pages, not all of which I've read).

Here it is let's make sure there's sugar in the tomato sauce, and keep it bland sort of thing, with lots of pasta along with not very interesting bread.

So, very recently I ordered a cookbook, Autentico, by Rolando Beramendi, which looks to be fascinating, and I hope to cook from it once or twice before the end of the month.

That bean stew with bacon and celery in a few posts above mine looks fantastic, just the kind of thing I'm looking for!

Much of what is in my area of Massachusetts is not the best of Italian food. Yes, you can find good pizza, but much of the rest of the menus doesn't really explore the richness of that culture (actually, several cultures - north Italian differs from southern which differs from Sicilian. (I'm sure that point has been made in the previous 11 pages, not all of which I've read).

Here it is let's make sure there's sugar in the tomato sauce, and keep it bland sort of thing, with lots of pasta along with not very interesting bread.

So, very recently I ordered a cookbook, Autentico, by Rolando Beramendi, which looks to be fascinating, and I hope to cook from it once or twice before the end of the month.

That bean stew with bacon and celery in a few posts above mine looks fantastic, just the kind of thing I'm looking for!

I imagine that this happens both for Italian food and for other cultures, I think that apart from the scarce availability of certain ingredients (even if by now on the internet you can find a bit of everything and have it delivered), there is often a great deal of confusion in the knowledge of the recipes, of how best mixing the ingredients, or even those who remember something Italian and adapt it to the tastes of the place .

Just about sugar in tomato sauce ...... well, that's something I don't understand very well. I am a supporter of putting a piece of carrot in the sauce because it releases its natural sugars.
I have to admit that I sometimes dared sugar or even some baking soda in tomato sauce. Yes i did it. But I had run out of carrots! :)
I don't know this book Autentico, but it seems very interesting! If you want to share recipes, photos, opinions on what you think about it, it will be very nice.

Thank you for the comment about my bean stew!

I don't know this book Autentico, but it seems very interesting! If you want to share recipes, photos, opinions on what you think about it, it will be very nice.

Thank you for the comment about my bean stew!

I will do this as I start to cook from it!
And I am planning on trying your bean stew soon...

Pizzelle Fritte - Fried Mini-Pizzas from Naples

The 'pizzelle fritte', also known as 'pizza fritta', are small fritters made of pizza dough and topped with fresh tomato sauce. They're a delicacy from Campania, in Southern Italy, and believe us: there's nothing better than strolling down the streets of Naples on a hot summer day and snatching a bite off of your freshly fried pizzelle! After all, Naples is indeed the homeland of pizza...

Fried pizzelle.jpg

Pizzelle Fritte - Fried Mini-Pizzas from Naples

The 'pizzelle fritte', also known as 'pizza fritta', are small fritters made of pizza dough and topped with fresh tomato sauce. They're a delicacy from Campania, in Southern Italy, and believe us: there's nothing better than strolling down the streets of Naples on a hot summer day and snatching a bite off of your freshly fried pizzelle! After all, Naples is indeed the homeland of pizza...

View attachment 27569

They look delicious - so the pizza dough is deep fried?

I make my own pasta sauce with tomatoes from our garden, oregano and basil from our garden as well. I only made about 5 X 2 litre containers for the freezer. My kids love Italian, I serve the sauce with fettucine and smoked chicken.
We will have it about 5 times this winter.

Russ

I make my own pasta sauce with tomatoes from our garden, oregano and basil from our garden as well. I only made about 5 X 2 litre containers for the freezer. My kids love Italian, I serve the sauce with fettucine and smoked chicken.
We will have it about 5 times this winter.

Russ

Tomatoes, basil and oregano from your garden..oh that's just perfect! It will be nice to see a pic of your fettuccine.
I have the possibility to have fresh tomatoes from my neighbour's garden, basil from my terrace. Guerrilla gardening...:happy:

Tomatoes, basil and oregano from your garden..oh that's just perfect! It will be nice to see a pic of your fettuccine.
I have the possibility to have fresh tomatoes from my neighbour's garden, basil from my terrace. Guerrilla gardening...:happy:

I like that, I do a lot of swaps so I don't spend a lot. Havnt paid for seafood for prolly 20 years. Basil this year was amazing, not long they were taken out as frosts got to,them. I havnt made my own pasta yet, but I have now got a machine for making it.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom