Recipe Jamaican spiced potato wedges

Local time
12:35 PM
Granted I am a Barbadian but in a broader sense I am a Caribbean girl. That said, I heard a voice in my head saying I should post this recipe that is of Jamaican origins. I haven't tried it but once I saw it I had no problem sharing it with you.
300308-1-eng-GB_279-470x540.jpg

INGREDIENTS
About 5kg Desirée potatoes
4 tbsp olive oil
3 tbsp Jamaican jerk seasoning
284 ml tub soured cream, to serve
1 lime, cut into 10 wedges, to garnish

METHOD
Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/ gas 6.
Wash and dry the potatoes, cut into long, thin wedges and put into a large bowl. Add the oil and jerk seasoning, and toss.
Divide between 2 roasting tins and cook for 30-35 minutes or until crisp and golden, giving them a good shake occasionally. Drain on kitchen paper.
Serve hot in paper cones or bowls, with the soured cream to dip and lime wedges to squeeze over.

http://www.deliciousmagazine.co.uk/recipes/jamaican-spiced-potato-wedges/

I have no idea what a desiree potato is but I believe Classic33 can help me out.

Last edited:
It's only the world's most popular red skinned potato!

Now I am going to make it my business to head to the supermarket and find out if we do have that potato around here. I just know we don't have the kind of variety that you folks do.

Now I am going to make it my business to head to the supermarket and find out if we do have that potato around here. I just know we don't have the kind of variety that you folks do.
Demand to know why not, if they don't have it in!

It's only the world's most popular red skinned potato!
Since you put it like that I am sure I have bought them a hundred times. It's just that I am the world's most ( fill in the space) cook. I like to use them for variety when I have guest. I guess I never really knew the proper name. I am sure I have asked my husband to pick up some of the expensive 'red potatoes'.

I'd say you're not alone on the spud front. There's the colour and the size, for nearly everyone.

They are my favorite variety of potatoes. I think I may make these potatoes for dinner this evening. They sound good. Now I just have to figure out what to have with them.

This recipe looks good to me. It seems easy to make too. I like anything to do with potatoes. However, I do not think I have ever seen the red-skinned potatoes. The only red-skinned potatoes I know of are sweet potatoes. Now I have learned something new today - Desiree potatoes. I don't believe we get them here though. I wonder if the recipe could be made with any other type of potato. Thanks for sharing.

This recipe looks good to me. It seems easy to make too. I like anything to do with potatoes. However, I do not think I have ever seen the red-skinned potatoes. The only red-skinned potatoes I know of are sweet potatoes. Now I have learned something new today - Desiree potatoes. I don't believe we get them here though. I wonder if the recipe could be made with any other type of potato. Thanks for sharing.

I reckon you could use almost any type of potato you wanted. Desiree tends towards being fluffy/floury, so any other 'floury' type would be fine. In general, potatoes tend to be either waxy or floury. 'Floury' types are the ones which disintegrate into a mush if you boil them too much! Waxy ones tend to hold their shape, whatever. Floury ones are most often used for chips and roast potatoes or wedges. But I have used waxy ones before with slightly different results. It just means the inside of the chip/wedge is less 'fluffy', but its just as delicious.

Last edited:
No Roosters or Queens!! March on the local shopping centres and ask "Why Not?"

Back
Top Bottom