Recipe Jamaican spiced potato wedges

Polenta? You mean cooked and cooled polenta and then cut into slices? I've never got on with polenta but keep feeling I should try! I find it a bit stodgy and lacking in flavour.
That's why it needs spicing up!
You cool it in a tasty of the correct thickness, cut into slices and marinate or coat with the seasoning of your choice and fry as a chip... Polenta chips!

That's why it needs spicing up!
You cool it in a tasty of the correct thickness, cut into slices and marinate or coat with the seasoning of your choice and fry as a chip... Polenta chips!
You are having an inspired typo day (I assume a tasty isn't an obscure type of baking tray?). I like the concept. After all, polenta does need to be made tastier!

You are having an inspired typo day (I assume a tasty isn't an obscure type of baking tray?). I like the concept. After all, polenta does need to be made tastier!

:giggle: :laugh: :roflmao:

Oops. Way too much morphine is my excuse and somehow I doubt today will be any better really!

Tasty should read tray. Even then I had to tap each letter individually to get the word I wanted.... Grrrrrr

Now that is just an appealing idea... Ahhhhhhhh appalling idea, not appealing.... Grrrrrr again! This tablet has an interesting sense of houmous humour.

:giggle: :laugh: :roflmao:

Oops. Way too much morphine is my excuse and somehow I doubt today will be any better really!

Tasty should read tray. Even then I had to tap each letter individually to get the word I wanted.... Grrrrrr

Now that is just an appealing idea... Ahhhhhhhh appalling idea, not appealing.... Grrrrrr again! This tablet has an interesting sense of houmous humour.
:roflmao:

@winterybella, is this competiion entry? I hope so! If it is you need to put a link to it on An ingredient 'a week' competition thread.
Just seeing this. Too late but I was still mentioned for my efforts.
This recipe looks good to me. It seems easy to make too. I like anything to do with potatoes. However, I do not think I have ever seen the red-skinned potatoes. The only red-skinned potatoes I know of are sweet potatoes. Now I have learned something new today - Desiree potatoes. I don't believe we get them here though. I wonder if the recipe could be made with any other type of potato. Thanks for sharing.

Caribbean girl we do have them here. It's just you only find them in the bigger supermarkets like Massy and the like.
or even with polenta instead!
Polenta? I have to check that out.

Can you make that Jamaican jerk seasoning from scratch? Potatoes are very versatile and can take on any flavor and I think that jerk seasoning will make the difference. Is that a secret recipe?

Caribbean girl we do have them here. It's just you only find them in the bigger supermarkets like Massy and the like.

I shop at Massy more than anywhere else, but I have never come across these potatoes. I suppose I may have seen them and not recognized them as potatoes. This is possible. However, next time I go shopping, I could look a little closer and see if I come across them. It is always good to try something new every once in a while.

I shop at Massy more than anywhere else, but I have never come across these potatoes. I suppose I may have seen them and not recognized them as potatoes. This is possible. However, next time I go shopping, I could look a little closer and see if I come across them. It is always good to try something new every once in a while.

Do you know the polenta? I checked that and it almost looks like or local cou, cou. I feel I have heard the name used but by Bajans. I've seen the potatoes and bought some especially when I have guest. I've also seen and bought the tiny red ones as well.

Bakemehappy, I am sure you can make the jerk seasoning from scratch. Some might actually prefer that as it might be more flavourful with no preservatives.

Last edited:
Granted I am a Barbadian but in a broader sense I a Caribbean girl. That said, I heard a voice in my head saying I should post this recipe that is of Jamaican origins. I haven't tried it but once I saw it I had no problem sharing it with you.
300308-1-eng-GB_279-470x540.jpg

INGREDIENTS
About 5kg Desirée potatoes
4 tbsp olive oil
3 tbsp Jamaican jerk seasoning
284 ml tub soured cream, to serve
1 lime, cut into 10 wedges, to garnish

METHOD
Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/ gas 6.
Wash and dry the potatoes, cut into long, thin wedges and put into a large bowl. Add the oil and jerk seasoning, and toss.
Divide between 2 roasting tins and cook for 30-35 minutes or until crisp and golden, giving them a good shake occasionally. Drain on kitchen paper.
Serve hot in paper cones or bowls, with the soured cream to dip and lime wedges to squeeze over.

http://www.deliciousmagazine.co.uk/recipes/jamaican-spiced-potato-wedges/

I have no idea what a desiree potato is but I believe Classic33 can help me out.
They look good, but I would imagine that are pretty hot. I think the jerk season would acccomplish that. I have never of desiree potatoes, but I am certain that other potatoes could be subsituted in the recipe. It does look tasty, and I will look for a translation on this.

I have done this before. However, it's slightly different in the sense that I simply toss in my pre boiled potatoes in my seasonings with my jerk chicken. I just bake them in my grill pan so it looks like I bbb'ed. I also add a touch of liquid smoke. It tastes amazing!

Did you ever come across those potatoes? If not Massy maybe PriceMart, but I have definitely had from the old JB's. Recently my husband brought some (regular) potatoes home and they are so full of dirt and he actually bought them from the Massy store. Dirt like I could put in the garden.

Did you ever come across those potatoes? If not Massy maybe PriceMart, but I have definitely had from the old JB's. Recently my husband brought some (regular) potatoes home and they are so full of dirt and he actually bought them from the Massy store. Dirt like I could put in the garden.

No. I have not yet come across these potatoes. I have not visited PriceMart in ages. The Massy I usually shop at does not seem to have these potatoes. I agree with you that the (regular) potatoes always seem so full of dirt. Before I use them, I always have to give them a good scrub first.

No. I have not yet come across these potatoes. I have not visited PriceMart in ages. The Massy I usually shop at does not seem to have these potatoes. I agree with you that the (regular) potatoes always seem so full of dirt. Before I use them, I always have to give them a good scrub first.
I honestly don't know how they can sell you those dirt filled potatoes. I think it's so not cool. These ones seemed supper dirt filled. Then again some say dirt should be eaten.

Back
Top Bottom