Jazzing up Your Holiday Leftovers?

GadgetGuy

(Formerly Shermie)
Local time
10:43 PM
What do you plan to do with your holiday leftovers this year? Are you planning to make something super special & eye-appealing? The possibilities are endless. You can use your imagination & think up some really amazing ideas. Especially with leftover turkey. I'm pretty certain that you won't let all that food go to waste, especially after you've spent a ton of dough to get it!! So what will it be? :whistling:

It is tradition in our family on the Saturday after Thanksgiving to have leftover turkey and patty shells for dinner. It is similar to a pot pie filling, served inside puff pastry shells.

Here is a version I made with chicken instead of turkey.

ChickShells001.jpg

CD

It is tradition in our family on the Saturday after Thanksgiving to have leftover turkey and patty shells for dinner. It is similar to a pot pie filling, served inside puff pastry shells.

Here is a version I made with chicken instead of turkey.

View attachment 75734

CD

It was always a tradition in our fam to eat the food until it's all gone. Then we'd start fresh when there was no more left. :whistling:

The usual thing for turkey-based leftovers growing up and if I still have my druthers, is a casserole, combining pieces of turkey, removed from bones, combined in with the stuffing, and whatever leftover veggies are still hanging around - brussels sprouts, potatoes, SAVORY sweet potatoes, a hint of cranberry. If one is feeling decadent, one can top this with melty cheese.

Bake at 350 F, and according to the amount you are doing, as to time needed.

Another tasty option is to make open faced cheese melts in the oven, with slices of turkey intermixed with cheese and a few sliced up veggies - some of that bean casserole? Or perhaps better yet slices of brussels or onions or cabbage. Helps moisten and disguise the lack of taste of turkey breast! (I don't care for turkey breast, and I certainly have no desire to eat it cold!)

Oh, bones and wing tips get saved for stock!

In past years, I've made turkey and sausage gumbo after thanksgiving. I use the turkey carcass to make my stock. The meat goes into the gumbo with some smoked sausage or andouille.

I didn't make it last year. Here is one from 2019.

_DSC0853.jpg

CD

I make Stuffin' Muffins with our leftover Dressing Casserole.
DSC01238.JPG

I toss the whole pan into the freezer and then pop them out
into a zip-top bag and back into the freezer for later.
DSC00776.JPG

Warmed and served with a fried egg on top
egg-on-stuffing.jpg

ONO! (that's Hawaiian for delicious)

I make Stuffin' Muffins with our leftover Dressing Casserole.
View attachment 75977
I toss the whole pan into the freezer and then pop them out
into a zip-top bag and back into the freezer for later.
View attachment 75975
Warmed and served with a fried egg on top
View attachment 75976
ONO! (that's Hawaiian for delicious)
You might wish to check out Chef John's/FoodWishes.com recipe for stuffing muffins - they're stuffed with breakfast gravy, which would really work with that egg.

You might wish to check out Chef John's/FoodWishes.com recipe for stuffing muffins - they're stuffed with breakfast gravy, which would really work with that egg.
I watched that vid back awhiles, meh ...

Back
Top Bottom