Recipe Kale Seaweed

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
6:32 PM
In the UK, Chinese restaurants serve 'seaweed' which as everyone knows isn't real seaweed, but deep fried shredded cabbage. In some ways its not so strange to substitute cabbage for seaweed, The cabbages native to the British Isles were originally sea cabbages which grew around the coast. It was the Romans who brought the cabbage as we know it to the UK. Recently, chefs have appropriated this 'fake' ingredient as a topping sprinkled on all manner if dishes. Dead easy to make!
DSCF2705.jpg

Ingredients
Kale or green cabbage
Oil for deep frying

Method
Shred the kale finely.
Deep fry in hot oil for 30 seconds.
Drain on kitchen paper and sprinkle with salt.
The crispy seaweed will keep for a week in an airtight container.

Last edited:
I never realized this is how it was done and it is easy to make too.

Here were use dried seawood "dulse" to sprinkle over dishes. It is plentiful around here so no need to make the "fake" stuff. lol

I never knew that a fake version was made either! Guess you learn something new every day, right?!

Here in Japan seaweed is everywhere. They'll use it as a garnish pretty regularly, especially in things like ramen noodles. I'm not the biggest fan of it though - I don't like the taste!

And in Scotland, we have a seaweed beer, Kelpie, brewed by Williams Brothers of Alloa. They also make the famous heather ale, Fraioch.

This sounds really interesting. I have never heard of seaweed beer before but I think that I would like it! :)

Back
Top Bottom