Recipe Kashmiri Egg Korma

karadekoolaid

Legendary Member
Local time
11:23 AM
OK - here´s the recipe for my favourite egg curry.
Kashmiri Egg Korma

( Serves 4)​
Ingredients:

20 blanched almonds (or cashews) soaked in hot water for 30 minutes
1 large onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
1 inch piece of fresh ginger, grated
3-4 small green chiles , chopped
8 eggs
Ghee or unsalted butter for frying
6 green cardamoms, lightly crushed
2-3 bay leaves
1 ½ tsps black cumin seeds( shahi jeera)
1 ½ tsps cumin powder
3 tsps coriander powder
1 tsp black pepper
½ tsp ground cinnamon (or use a 3” cinnamon stick)
¼ tsp ground cloves (or use 2-3 whole cloves)
6 tbsps tomato puree
8 tbsps Greek – style yoghurt (whole milk, not “Light”)
8 tbsps cream
Sea salt to taste
1 small red pepper, julienned
1 tsp garam masala
Coriander leaf to garnish

Method:

1. Heat a generous tablespoon of ghee in a large pan or frying pan. Add the diced onion and fry gently for about 5-10 minutes, until opaque. Now add the garlic, ginger and chiles and fry for a minute or so, until you can smell the garlic/ginger.
  2. Meanwhile, the almonds/cashews are soaking, so boil the eggs. Place in cold water with a little salt and vinegar, bring to a boil and boil for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and leave for 3 minutes. Immerse in ice cold water and peel. Set aside.
  3. Put the onion/ginger/garlic mixture in a blender, along with the almonds (and the soaking water) and blitz to a paste. Add a bit more water if necessary.
  4. In the same pan used to cook the onions, add another tablespoon of ghee and add the cardamoms, bay leaves and black cumin seeds.( If you decide to use a cinnamon stick and whole cloves, add these as well.)Cook quickly, only about 30 seconds, until the seeds begin to sizzle.
  5. Now add the cumin powder, the coriander powder, the black pepper (and the cinnamon/clove if you´re using the ground version). Stir once or twice, then add the onion mixture and about a cup of water. Stir well to mix and add in the tomato paste. Cook through for about 5 minutes on medium heat.
  6. Now stir in the yoghurt and the cream, little by little until they are properly incorporated into the sauce. Add salt to taste and cook gently for about 10 minutes, until the sauce thickens. Add more water if the sauce looks too thick. Add the julienned peppers and the boiled eggs, cut in half, and heat through.
  7. Just before serving, sprinkle with garam masala and coriander leaf.
Creamy Egg Curry.jpg

I absolutely love eggs in curry and this looks subtle and delicious. Using the almonds and cream will produce a very rich sauce but I see you added yoghurt too which should contrast the creaminess with a little sourness. Nicely done.

Thanks. Looks like a lot of ingredients, I know. However, it´s all a question of mise-en-place: get the onion, garlic, ginger and chiles together, get the spices all ready on a plate, and it doesn´t really take that long to make.

Thanks. Looks like a lot of ingredients, I know. However, it´s all a question of mise-en-place: get the onion, garlic, ginger and chiles together, get the spices all ready on a plate, and it doesn´t really take that long to make.
To me it doesn't look like a lot of ingredients - but then I'm very used to making curry.

Back
Top Bottom