karadekoolaid

Legendary Member
Local time
11:34 PM
This has got to be one of the most delightful South East Asian sauces ever; and there are many of them we´ve probably never tried!
You can use it with wok-fried beef, aubergines/eggplants, shrimp, or as an extra flavour for sauces and soups.
Ingredients
500 mls soy sauce
320 gms palm sugar or dark brown sugar
2 pieces star anise
4 large cloves garlic
1 1/2 inches fresh ginger, sliced thin
Method
Bung the whole lot into a pan and bring to boil. Lower to a simmer and cook for about 20 minutes, until the sauce has reduced by about 1/3rd. Pour into a glass bottle/jar.You can decide whether to leave the anise/garlic/ginger in the mixture or not: if not, just remove it.
Lasts forever.

It´s delicious, isn´t it?
I remember doing a demo on Indonesian food one day. Had these lovely aubergines to cook, but had completely forgotten to bring half the ingredients for the recipe, so I just fried them and splashed ketjap manis on them. Delicious!

I'd never heard of this condiment before, so I looked it up and that it is sold commercially... I'm not very familiar with Indonesian foods, but that looks and sounds lovely! I may try a small batch for dipping ... hmmm ... 💡 I know, I have some store bought Egg Rolls

Back
Top Bottom